HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:14 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Swiss Glider (Segelfliegen) scale style graphics for a Radian Sailplane

Mini-How-to for "Swiss" Glider (Segelfliegen) scale style graphics for a Parkzone Radian Sailplane. I've provided a how-to with painting and making the graphics. Also provided both a ref. jpg file and a vector line art outlined PDF ready for cut vinyl or printing on white vinyl. If you would like a custom registration number or different country than Switzerland, I'd be happy to help, PM me for more information.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 27, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:16 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Making the Swiss (Segelfliegen) scale style graphics for a Radian Glider

Making the graphics
- I used a very similar specification typeface used on most German and Suisse sailplanes called, "DINMittleshrift" for the fuselage and underside of the wings. I researched photos and was able to determine by looking at Swiss registration call numbers they start with "HB-" I choose "78" just because I like that number combo. If you don't have DINMittleschrift typeface you can download it here > http://www.linotype.com/13205/din145...rift-font.html
or
a similar font here > http://www.dafont.com/din-1451.font

- I first created and scaled what size I wanted in Adobe Illustrator.
~ (NOTE: at this point you could just send the file out to have cut at a vinyl graphics shop, if not, continue on...) ~
- Printed out as a thin red outline on my inkjet at home (inexpensive method), less ink used.
- Applied very light coating of Super77 spray glue to backside of paper.
- Let this tack up.
- Stuck down to some matte black vinyl I had laying around. I'm sure you could use the 3M blue low tack masking tape also.
- Hand cut out the red outline on the inkjet graphics with x-acto #11 blade. You need to cut through both the paper and vinyl or masking tape. Make sure to cut on a self-healing surface and NOT your Ethan Allen dining room table...

Underside of wing
- Cleaned Radian foam surface with isopropyl alchohol.
- Applied vinyl to underside of Radian wing.
- For the large Swiss "+" I just taped off with blue 3M low stick masking tape.
- Painted with Krylon Short Cuts Red Pepper spray paint, used one full 3 oz. can and a tad of another.
- Peeled off vinyl, which in turn left white foam exposed.

Topside of wings
- Masked off where I wanted the red tips to be, painted.
- Applied 3M package tape, then vinyl "studiorRS" graphics. "SCHWEIZ" sticker as is directly on foam. The Swiss know how to make adhesive like Chocolate, this sticker is from Switzerland, I can make a custom one if you like.
- Applied white vinyl swiss + over red paint.

For the fuselage
- Applied 3M packaging tape to Radian fuselage.
- Applied matte black vinyl to 3M package tape.

For the Rudder
- Applied 3M packaging tape to Rudder first.
- Applied red vinyl to 3M package tape.
- Applied white swiss vinyl over red vinyl.
- Applied 3M packaging tape over all.

NOTE: the addition of extra tape and vinyl slightly changed the CoG so I had to re-balance. not a big deal, just marked a new spot inside with a pen where the battery needed to be.

If you would like a custom specific number or country code in mind (ie "D-1961" for Germany, or "PZ-RADIAN", etc. ) I can make these too for a small charge and provide a PDF, just PM me.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Jul 04, 2011 at 02:46 PM.