HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:14 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,314 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Swiss Glider (Segelfliegen) scale style graphics for a Radian Sailplane

Mini-How-to for "Swiss" Glider (Segelfliegen) scale style graphics for a Parkzone Radian Sailplane. I've provided a how-to with painting and making the graphics. Also provided both a ref. jpg file and a vector line art outlined PDF ready for cut vinyl or printing on white vinyl. If you would like a custom registration number or different country than Switzerland, I'd be happy to help, PM me for more information.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 27, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:16 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,314 Posts
Making the Swiss (Segelfliegen) scale style graphics for a Radian Glider

Making the graphics
- I used a very similar specification typeface used on most German and Suisse sailplanes called, "DINMittleshrift" for the fuselage and underside of the wings. I researched photos and was able to determine by looking at Swiss registration call numbers they start with "HB-" I choose "78" just because I like that number combo. If you don't have DINMittleschrift typeface you can download it here > http://www.linotype.com/13205/din145...rift-font.html
or
a similar font here > http://www.dafont.com/din-1451.font

- I first created and scaled what size I wanted in Adobe Illustrator.
~ (NOTE: at this point you could just send the file out to have cut at a vinyl graphics shop, if not, continue on...) ~
- Printed out as a thin red outline on my inkjet at home (inexpensive method), less ink used.
- Applied very light coating of Super77 spray glue to backside of paper.
- Let this tack up.
- Stuck down to some matte black vinyl I had laying around. I'm sure you could use the 3M blue low tack masking tape also.
- Hand cut out the red outline on the inkjet graphics with x-acto #11 blade. You need to cut through both the paper and vinyl or masking tape. Make sure to cut on a self-healing surface and NOT your Ethan Allen dining room table...

Underside of wing
- Cleaned Radian foam surface with isopropyl alchohol.
- Applied vinyl to underside of Radian wing.
- For the large Swiss "+" I just taped off with blue 3M low stick masking tape.
- Painted with Krylon Short Cuts Red Pepper spray paint, used one full 3 oz. can and a tad of another.
- Peeled off vinyl, which in turn left white foam exposed.

Topside of wings
- Masked off where I wanted the red tips to be, painted.
- Applied 3M package tape, then vinyl "studiorRS" graphics. "SCHWEIZ" sticker as is directly on foam. The Swiss know how to make adhesive like Chocolate, this sticker is from Switzerland, I can make a custom one if you like.
- Applied white vinyl swiss + over red paint.

For the fuselage
- Applied 3M packaging tape to Radian fuselage.
- Applied matte black vinyl to 3M package tape.

For the Rudder
- Applied 3M packaging tape to Rudder first.
- Applied red vinyl to 3M package tape.
- Applied white swiss vinyl over red vinyl.
- Applied 3M packaging tape over all.

NOTE: the addition of extra tape and vinyl slightly changed the CoG so I had to re-balance. not a big deal, just marked a new spot inside with a pen where the battery needed to be.

If you would like a custom specific number or country code in mind (ie "D-1961" for Germany, or "PZ-RADIAN", etc. ) I can make these too for a small charge and provide a PDF, just PM me.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Jul 04, 2011 at 02:46 PM.