HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:36 PM
Joined Sep 2009
17 Posts
Discussion
ETNZ/Voyager II Owners... Soundoff!

OK, lets hear from all the owners out there! Where are you? List where you live, a US State, or Country so we can get an idea of how many owners there are, and how many boats there are...

I'll start. I am Adam in North Carolina. My godson calls me "Uncle Adam man-man" Hence my screen name. I have 1 Voyager II currently, but the second is on the way. The first one is painted as a slightly modified AmericaOne from the Americas Cup campaign of the same name. My second boat is in the paint booth getting it's Stars and Stripes livery.

Who's next?
adammanman is offline Find More Posts by adammanman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2010, 08:00 AM
Who needs roads?
Southport,N.W. England
Joined Nov 2007
386 Posts
Adrian
TT Voyager II ,modded
Southport U.K.

Jake Bullit is offline Find More Posts by Jake Bullit
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:47 PM
North Carolina
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Etnz

Hi, I have an ETNZ converted to BMW Oracle. New Fittings, Rigging, Sail Arm,
modified Rudder, and Vision Racing Sails. I am at Brevard, NC. Photos attached
Regards
Norman
Ps. Very Satisfied with my boat. Photo is before modifying rudder to make it wider.
Norman22 is offline Find More Posts by Norman22
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:03 PM
UK,Suffolk Newmarket
Joined Aug 2010
10 Posts
Hi All you Voyager Skippers. Have just joined.Am awaiting delivery of my VoyagerII plus Radio controller.What else do I need before I start to unpack the box. Have read all the discussions about modifications such as sail winches etc etc. so am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can crew.(chew)
cabinboy is offline Find More Posts by cabinboy
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:54 AM
North Carolina
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Etnz

Hi Cabin Boy, Just make sure you replace all chain plates, Jib Rack and all the
rigging line that comes with the kit. If you want to upgrade to racing sails you
can do that later. The kit is simple to build and you will enjoy sailing it. Of all
the kits out there this is the most pleasing to look at. Regards
Norman22
PS. I did not use the winch but instead used a sail arm. There is a photo of it on a thread
called ETNZ Rudder Modification.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:34 AM
UK,Suffolk Newmarket
Joined Aug 2010
10 Posts
VoyagerII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman22 View Post
Hi Cabin Boy, Just make sure you replace all chain plates, Jib Rack and all the
rigging line that comes with the kit. If you want to upgrade to racing sails you
can do that later. The kit is simple to build and you will enjoy sailing it. Of all
the kits out there this is the most pleasing to look at. Regards
Norman22
PS. I did not use the winch but instead used a sail arm. There is a photo of it on a thread
called ETNZ Rudder Modification.
Hi Norman. Wow that was quick. Many thanks for your reply, but tell me the reasons why. Cabinboy
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
Sunny South Florida
Joined Sep 2004
215 Posts
I have 4 older Voyager. Two are built right out of the box and two have beem modied. One even as a wing keel. I feel that the Voyager is a great boat. It can hold it own in the open one metter class. Here are phot of my voyager with the wing keel. You will not that I added a hatch over the rudder post and I filled in the seam from the deck to the hull removing the "tepperware lip"
windwarrior6682 is offline Find More Posts by windwarrior6682
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:04 PM
North Carolina
Joined Jan 2010
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinboy View Post
Hi Norman. Wow that was quick. Many thanks for your reply, but tell me the reasons why. Cabinboy
Hi Cabin Boy, Tha chain plates for shroud attachment to the hull are plastic and they will break the first time out. Same for Jib rack and backstay plate.
See the pictures of some modifications owners have done in the thread called
ETNZ Building Tips. The sail winch will work but I have used sail arms in all my
sailboats as they are smoother and wont create a birds nest. Kit sails are ok
but not nearly as fast as Tri-Spi mylar racing sails from Vision Sails. Make sure
the upper mast attachment is firmly epoxied in to eliminate any bend. Regards
Norman22
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:49 AM
Sequim, WA
Joined Jan 2004
175 Posts
Hi windwarrior, I'm just finishing up an older version Voyager and noticed your comment on filling in the deck seam. What did you use to fill it, and did you taper it out to the hull. I'm just about ready to paint mine.
Thanks - Jim
jimhurley is offline Find More Posts by jimhurley
Old Sep 01, 2010, 03:58 PM
UK,Suffolk Newmarket
Joined Aug 2010
10 Posts
Sail arms,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman22 View Post
Hi Cabin Boy, Tha chain plates for shroud attachment to the hull are plastic and they will break the first time out. Same for Jib rack and backstay plate.
See the pictures of some modifications owners have done in the thread called
ETNZ Building Tips. The sail winch will work but I have used sail arms in all my
sailboats as they are smoother and wont create a birds nest. Kit sails are ok
but not nearly as fast as Tri-Spi mylar racing sails from Vision Sails. Make sure
the upper mast attachment is firmly epoxied in to eliminate any bend. Regards
Norman22
Have noted your threads Norman re the Voyager most grateful. Regards Cabin Boy
Old Sep 02, 2010, 10:16 PM
Joined Sep 2009
17 Posts
Cabin Boy, looks as if the master himself, Norman, has answered your questions. Sorry I didn't respond to your pm sooner, but I think he summed it up better than I could have anyway.

Come on VII/ETNZ owners, we are a small community, and could use all the support we can get from one another!! Introduce yourselves!!

On another note, if we had the opportunity to form a class, what would we call it? IACC1M?

Here is a pic of my new sled...
adammanman is offline Find More Posts by adammanman
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:11 PM
UK,Suffolk Newmarket
Joined Aug 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammanman View Post
Cabin Boy, looks as if the master himself, Norman, has answered your questions. Sorry I didn't respond to your pm sooner, but I think he summed it up better than I could have anyway.

Come on VII/ETNZ owners, we are a small community, and could use all the support we can get from one another!! Introduce yourselves!!

On another note, if we had the opportunity to form a class, what would we call it? IACC1M?

Here is a pic of my new sled...
Thanks for getting back anyway. Have read all those replies to my querys etc about building my Voyager and suggested modifications. As I pointed out at the beginning I think for now I'll just make do with the kit out of the box, practise sailing that and then see how I make out.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:22 PM
UK,Suffolk Newmarket
Joined Aug 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwarrior6682 View Post
I have 4 older Voyager. Two are built right out of the box and two have beem modied. One even as a wing keel. I feel that the Voyager is a great boat. It can hold it own in the open one metter class. Here are phot of my voyager with the wing keel. You will not that I added a hatch over the rudder post and I filled in the seam from the deck to the hull removing the "tepperware lip"
Hi Windwarrior. What year is this Voyager?. The original design must have been altered. Mine doesn't have that slope to the transom, but has no transom at all, and the cockpit fittings bear no resemblance. Very interesting photos though. Regards Cabin Boy.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 06:36 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwarrior6682 View Post
Hi WindWarrior, what type glue did you use to glue down the deck? Not sure what to use on mine. Great paint scheme, too. I have an "Irish Eyes" which I think is the same kit but with green hull and red (was gold-yuck)bottom. I also extended the back of the keel and faired it in, instead of the round aft edge. The green uppers in the picture had not been repainted yet here.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Last edited by 1967250s; Sep 03, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:54 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,317 Posts
I have the old Voyager. I made a new sail arm, the plastic one broke the 2nd time I had it in the water. I use a set of ODOM sails on my Voyager.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME