HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:43 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Is anyone using 2.75" wheels? They seem to be able to fit into the wheel wells. The 2.5" wheels look a little small. Or is that just me?

I've ordered the VQ oleos. My robostruts were a little too short and the wrong geometry, to boot. The VQ oleos can accomodate 2.75" wheels it appears.

btw: Do the 4mm struts from the Eflite 46 85º retracts fit in the VQ oleos without modification?
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Is anyone using 2.75" wheels? They seem to be able to fit into the wheel wells. The 2.5" wheels look a little small. Or is that just me?

I've ordered the VQ oleos. My robostruts were a little too short and the wrong geometry, to boot. The VQ oleos can accomodate 2.75" wheels it appears.

btw: Do the 4mm struts from the Eflite 46 85º retracts fit in the VQ oleos without modification?
The larger wheels may work as long as you grease your landings......Once the gear legs get just a little tweaked you gear will jam.

I haven't done the scale calculation but they do look a little small or it may be the legs look spindly without the struts.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:46 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Here's some downthrust and an altered cowl to accommodate it.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:48 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
The larger wheels may work as long as you grease your landings......Once the gear legs get just a little tweaked you gear will jam.

I haven't done the scale calculation but they do look a little small or it may be the legs look spindly without the struts.

Dave
They look small. A lot of the times, WW2 Warbirds wheels and Spinners are close in size. This spinner is much larger than the wheels.

The oleos will prevent the struts from bending... Unless you have an absolutely terrible landing. No cures for those...
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:15 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
Here's some downthrust and an altered cowl to accommodate it.
What size Saito is that?
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:42 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post

Dave
actually, scale wheels for this size model are closer to 3"!
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:04 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I ordered some dave brown lite-flite treaded 2.75" since that is the largest that will fit in the VQ oleos. 3 inch wheels would look and perform better, to be sure.

That's a Saito .56 in the photo. I'll be using a short straight pipe exhaust to minimize the visual distraction and maximize the wonderful 4-stroke sound.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
I have a question. I am in the process of building mine still, and having issues getting the motor and spinner to line up properly. The top of the cowl and the top of the spinner are about 5 mm and I have tried shimming it, I have adjusted it all the way up, and still no luck getting it any higher. Is the firewall meant for an asymmetrical motor mount? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
marcus28551 is offline Find More Posts by marcus28551
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:11 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
674 Posts
Put the plane upside down when you are mounting the motor.
That way instead if slipping down as you work, with a minimum effort it will go as high up the firewall as it can.
I got mine to align almost perfect that way.

Also install all four screws before you tighten any. Then you can wiggle the motor in place and tighten the screws one at a time and not move the motor.

Am I correct in assuming you have a power 32 motor?
danpos is offline Find More Posts by danpos
Last edited by danpos; Feb 09, 2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Ask about motor
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
17 Posts
I will be using that motor, but for mock up I am using the Turnigy G32. They are exactly the same dimensions, so there should have not been that much difference in the motor mount. I will be running the Power 32 when I get everything ready to go, as I am not planning on maidening this plane until this summer at the earliest. I have to become a member of a different field that is bigger before I can get it up in the air so that I can have a much larger area. The field I fly at right now is not big enough for it, and does not have enough space to land properly.
marcus28551 is offline Find More Posts by marcus28551
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:28 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus28551 View Post
I have to become a member of a different field that is bigger before I can get it up in the air so that I can have a much larger area. The field I fly at right now is not big enough for it, and does not have enough space to land properly.
M....I belong to 3 clubs for that same reason, the first club I joined is for inside flying and parkflyers, the second is a very large polo field....but the horse divits will easily remove your retracts.... and the third has a paved runway pertfect for warbirds...
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:30 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
M....I belong to 3 clubs for that same reason, the first club I joined is for inside flying and parkflyers, the second is a very large polo field....but the horse divits will easily remove your retracts.... and the third has a paved runway pertfect for warbirds...
Similar situation here, I'm in three clubs. The retirement community has an electric club on the polo field. Just outside the community is a mixed electric-glow-gas club with a graded runway. Then, 20 miles away is a mixed electric-glow-gas-turbine-heli club with a paved runway. (When I was on Long Island I was in the Grumman Wingnutz, LIARS and HELI clubs.)
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer-Ron View Post
Similar situation here, I'm in three clubs. The retirement community has an electric club on the polo field. Just outside the community is a mixed electric-glow-gas club with a graded runway. Then, 20 miles away is a mixed electric-glow-gas-turbine-heli club with a paved runway. (When I was on Long Island I was in the Grumman Wingnutz, LIARS and HELI clubs.)
Im in Babylon, Whitman and LIARS....the LIARS have a great field....Im familiar with the Villages...whet to a few saturday night car shows there...where do you fly ???....as my parents use to be in Ocala
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:25 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
Im in Babylon, Whitman and LIARS....the LIARS have a great field....Im familiar with the Villages...whet to a few saturday night car shows there...where do you fly ???....as my parents use to be in Ocala
Within The Villages, the E-Flyers fly weekday mornings on the polo fields in the older section, on Buena Vista Blvd. north of rte 466. (south of Spanish Springs where the cruise-ins are held) Just outside of The Villages, the Southern Eagle Squadron flys at the Lady Lake town landfill off Rolling Acres Rd. The Ocala Flying Model Club flys on "Greenway" property off 115th St north of Bellville but south of Ocala city
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:26 PM
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
795 Posts
My club is on a 200 acre sod farm so no problem with space.

Saw the recent post re wheel size.

I flew the Eflite P51 last summer with 3 inch wheels and fixed gear raked farther forward than factory. Great flyer. Have to use 3 inchers in the short but thick grass or nose-overs on landing are a problem.

Decided this winter to install Eflite electric retracts with the stock 2.5 inchers. Right away thought the small wheels looked silly and I knew they would have problems in the sod.

Looked at them for a month and decided to open up the wheel wells for 3 inchers which means a 3.25 inch well. Eyeballed it for another month and decided there was barely enough room between the main spar, leading edge and outside rib. Took the plunge and opened up the wells taking my time and constantly checking dimensions.

Turned out great. Enough room without wrecking anything. Also appears to be enough forward raking to help avoid the dreaded nose-overs.

Will post some digitals once I get everything back together.

Bill
erie_flyer is online now Find More Posts by erie_flyer