HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Yes and no. I have seen people do it, and it always sticks out like a sore thumb. They just look wrong, plus I would think you increase the chance of bending struts. Coming in perfect wings level the struts will not be at 90 degree with the ground so you have extra loading side to side. I would think that the extra camber could make for some interesting ground handling too.
so you like the 85 degree etracts then. What other models use 85 degree retracts?
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:54 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
so you like the 85 degree etracts then. What other models use 85 degree retracts?
I've used the same retracts from the P-51 in the Kyosho 190 and 109. Not scale for either, but close. A P-47 could also use them. I mounted a set in the Starmax 63" P-47.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
700 Posts
Here it is with the Malcolm Hood canopy from Park Flyer Plastics. (thanks to Tom Hunt)
It's looking rough. Too bad I had the run in with the rebar about 20 flights ago.
It may take a little bit extra weathering to hide the rough lines.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=584

As tempted as I am to leave it like this, I'm going to attempt a camouflage with grey ultracoat.
It will look better that way. I think?

The covering and lines on the canopy are done with Ultracoat.

I also ordered the exhaust from RC Castle off the new Version 7 1400mm FMS mustang.
The exhaust that came with The Eflite P-51B just doesn't look that convincing to me.

Please feel free to offer any suggestions.
danpos is online now Find More Posts by danpos
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
MPP
In Unusual Attitude Recovery
Danbury CT (DXR)
Joined Oct 2005
2,152 Posts
Just Curious, they dropped the price on this to $139.00. That usually signals clearance and or the end. Of course I picked it up before this .

danpos like the Malcolm
MPP is offline Find More Posts by MPP
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:12 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
Here it is with the Malcolm Hood canopy from Park Flyer Plastics. (thanks to Tom Hunt)
Thanks, getting me excited to mod my own this winter!

Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:37 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
700 Posts
The grey camouflage will have to be painted on when I do it.
There is no way I could have used Ultracoat and have it look good. I like the solid green anyway.

Will I have any trouble painting with an airbrush, using latex paint directly over the Ultracoat with Testors dullcoat applied?

I put the decals on and I'm going try to get back out to the airfield again a couple more times before winter.

I'm still going to paint the spinner and the cowl just behind the spinner white.
And I still have the cockpit area to modify during the winter.
I'll be changing the letters to white too.
Then some light weathering...
The grimm reaper on the front might be overkill?

Tom I can't wait to see what you do with your mod.
Last edited by danpos; Nov 29, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:04 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,911 Posts
Looking real good danpos...keep it up.
ce
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:30 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,474 Posts
Mine just should up yesterday. Think I'm going to pull off all the covering and get her ready for glassing. The colour match on mine in room light isn't too bad though, but I want a different colour scheme.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesperpound View Post
Just Curious, they dropped the price on this to $139.00. That usually signals clearance and or the end. Of course I picked it up before this .

danpos like the Malcolm

It's been 139 bucks for a while now.
March 15th
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2355
W
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:52 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
700 Posts
Can anyone help me out with the correct shade of grey for the upper camouflage for an RAF Mustang III?
A search online reveals more mysteries than answers.
Tamiya 81782 Acrylic Paint Mini XF-82 Ocean Gray 2 RAF appears to be correct?
Last edited by danpos; Nov 30, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:47 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
Can anyone help me out with the correct shade of grey for the upper camouflage for an RAF Mustang III?
A search online reveals more mysteries than answers.
Tamiya 81782 Acrylic Paint Mini XF-82 Ocean Gray 2 RAF appears to be correct?
Seems us Maritimers are on a bit of a "convert a Mustang to RAF markings" kick! I did some research a couple of weeks ago to get the right colours (planning to paint up a UM P-51D similar to the full-size one Vintage Wings flies).

Colours are:

RAF Dark Green FS24064
Medium Sea Grey underside FS36270
Grey on upper surfaces varied depending on what was available. Often it was a mix of Medium Sea Grey and Black, in a 7:1 ratio.

Tamiya XF-82 "Ocean Grey 2 (RAF)" looks pretty close too, at least when I compared the cap to the Dark Green cap (XF-81).

I do hope they are NOT discontinuing this Mustang! It's been really tempting me, but from what I've read in this thread, I don't think my flying skills are quite up to it yet. So it's on my "future consideration" list for now.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:13 AM
Georgetown IN
Joined Jul 2010
1,018 Posts
Quote:
I don't think my flying skills are quite up to it
Nonsense :-) I only had foamies and small bipes before the P-51B. After reading here, I was very worried about flying mine. I follow everyone's advice to keep the speed up in the turns and land fast. That's all it takes. I don't do low inverted high speed passes, mind you, but "normal" manuevers haven't revealed a single bad tendency.
10AE is offline Find More Posts by 10AE
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:25 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105 View Post

I do hope they are NOT discontinuing this Mustang! It's been really tempting me, but from what I've read in this thread, I don't think my flying skills are quite up to it yet. So it's on my "future consideration" list for now.
The signs are there for this one to go away when supplies run out. If you know you want one I would grab one now while you can and the price is right. You can always leave it in the box and slowly gather the rest of the gear to build it out when you feel ready. I did that when I found the discontinued H9 150 size Razorback last year. When I bought it I told myself that it would be a year before I was ready. Now I'm ready, but can't decide if I want to go electric or gas. I know I'm getting sick of waiting for batteries to charge between flights, but my TF GS Corsair taught me that dead stick situations can be a real bummer too.
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:11 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
700 Posts
I do hope they are NOT discontinuing this Mustang! It's been really tempting me, but from what I've read in this thread, I don't think my flying skills are quite up to it yet. So it's on my "future consideration" list for now.[/QUOTE]

This is the first year for me to be flying rc planes, and I have many flights on it.
So don't think you aren't ready. It's very stable in the air as long as you keep your speed up. It needs lots of speed on take off and landings.
Most of the time I am at 3/4 throttle.
It does land fast though.

For the price I don't think there is anything to compare to it.
I have two of them. One will remain as a P-51B.
And the other I posted pictures of.

It's all I have been taking to the air field lately.
It handles the wind much better than any of my foam planes.
But watch out for heavy cross winds when landing
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:39 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
The signs are there for this one to go away when supplies run out. If you know you want one I would grab one now while you can and the price is right. You can always leave it in the box and slowly gather the rest of the gear to build it out when you feel ready. I did that when I found the discontinued H9 150 size Razorback last year. When I bought it I told myself that it would be a year before I was ready. Now I'm ready, but can't decide if I want to go electric or gas. I know I'm getting sick of waiting for batteries to charge between flights, but my TF GS Corsair taught me that dead stick situations can be a real bummer too.
I hear ya. I like being able to throw some fuel at it and go again!
I want a Radial engine now.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW