SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:02 AM
More jets than a carburetor
skydve76's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLogan View Post
My guess as well

John
Not a choke, look inside one, a choke would have coiled wire. It has a IC, and it is an amplifier.

Without it I have also had issues with retracts not working, requiring a couple cycles.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:16 AM
Registered User
sbakr23's Avatar
United States, MN, Maple Plain
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDogg View Post
The power 46 has a sweet spot for 5s and a 13x8. Got a few planes with that setup and love it!

If you were to try 4s just run the p32 with a 13x8! Flys great with that setup. 5s on a p32 with a 12x8 picks up some speed...
I agree, it will fly scale at about 1/2 throttle. And WOT can be a little much, but nice to have when needed. Kinda cheating but it really takes the adventure out or the takeoff roll, get it pointed straight down the runway and advance to wot and lift, takes about 10ft and your airborne, Had it out yesterday and had a blast, I cant wait to chase a few other planes at the flying field today. Finally the wind has died down!
sbakr23 is offline Find More Posts by sbakr23
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
Registered User
danpos's Avatar
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakr23 View Post
I agree, it will fly scale at about 1/2 throttle. And WOT can be a little much, but nice to have when needed. Kinda cheating but it really takes the adventure out or the takeoff roll, get it pointed straight down the runway and advance to wot and lift, takes about 10ft and your airborne, Had it out yesterday and had a blast, I cant wait to chase a few other planes at the flying field today. Finally the wind has died down!
Wouldn't a 5S on a 12x8 prop be too much for a power 32?

Just wondering how often eflite produces new balsa warbirds?
I really like the Platinum Edition with fully sheeted wings, size, and overall the complete P-51B.
Any idea what is coming out next?
I would like to find a good balsa Hawker Hurricane like the Eflite P51-B.
This size or a little bit bigger.
danpos is offline Find More Posts by danpos
Last edited by danpos; Nov 22, 2012 at 06:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:21 AM
Registered User
sbakr23's Avatar
United States, MN, Maple Plain
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
Wouldn't a 5S on a 12x8 prop be too much for a power 32?

Just wondering how often eflite produces new balsa warbirds?
I really like the Platinum Edition with fully sheeted wings, size, and overall the complete P-51B.
Any idea what is coming out next?
I would like to find a good balsa Hawker Hurricane like the Eflite P51-B.
This size or a little bit bigger.
I know the P32 says it can take 5S, it would depend on amp draw what size prop I would try. 5S is what I have powering a P46! And good ? about whats next from eflite.
sbakr23 is offline Find More Posts by sbakr23
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:43 AM
Registered User
TripleW's Avatar
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
The recommended setup for the Sundowner is a Power 32 on 5s and a 10x10 prop.

Completion kit 5
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...arf-HAN4520#t4
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,482 Posts
I've got a Smith Miniplane with a P46 in it that my friend I got it from used 6s all the time on it. Says it went like the dickens.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:14 PM
Registered User
sbakr23's Avatar
United States, MN, Maple Plain
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy View Post
I've got a Smith Miniplane with a P46 in it that my friend I got it from used 6s all the time on it. Says it went like the dickens.
I believe that, the Smith miniplane is a great flyer! My son is building one now and the plan is to put the P46 in it, we were only going to power it with a 5S though. The way the 46 and 5S power my P51 I thought it a good combo for the Smith Miniplane.
sbakr23 is offline Find More Posts by sbakr23
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:27 PM
More jets than a carburetor
skydve76's Avatar
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
R ran a 12X12 prop and it had massive torque issues on take off. I think that may of been why mine was so snappy.

A 10x10 may be a good choice on 5s but static thrust is really what this bird needs. She has 0 glide.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:20 PM
Registered User
danpos's Avatar
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
708 Posts
P-51B in the wind

Today I found the limits of my ability to fly the P-51B in the wind.
I can manage the strong winds, but the strong gusts that lay in wait until I attempted to land got me.

I should have aborted when a very strong gust of wind pushed me sideways during my take off.
But I have flown this in strong winds before without any problems.

Today I got put in my place.
The only damage was one of the fixed landing gear legs was pulled out when I went in the tall grass.
I don't know how to upload video?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...1&d=1353728342
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...5&d=1353728605
danpos is offline Find More Posts by danpos
Last edited by danpos; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
AMA#313760
JLogan's Avatar
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
Today I found the limits of my ability to fly the P-51B in the wind.
I can manage the strong winds, but the strong gusts that lay in wait until I attempted to land got me.

I should have aborted when a very strong gust of wind pushed me sideways during my take off.
But I have flown this in strong winds before without any problems.

Today I got put in my place.
The only damage was one of the fixed landing gear legs was pulled out when I went in the tall grass.
I don't know how to upload video?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...1&d=1353728342
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...5&d=1353728605
I've flown her in very bad and unknown which way the wind would come from next, only once. Never will I do it again. Winds were at 25 MPH but very high gusts.
The wind was cross wind to head wind to tail winds. I got very lucky and landed her.

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:21 PM
Registered User
Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2009
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
No idea what is special about the E-Flite y harness, but I know the retracts work fine with a regular y harness. I couldn't find the y for the retracts when I put my H9 Mustang together so I just used a regular 6" y harness. I have about 50 flights on it with no problems at all. I do run a seperate rx pack on that plane so there is always plenty of power for the servos and retracts.
I haven't used the Eflite Y harness either. I have each undercarrage on a different channel and a go slow on one so that the legs retract and lower at different speeds and have not had a problem. I don't even use a seperate battery pack for the RX. It has about 50-60 flights on it just using the built in BEC in the CC 100
Arkx400 is offline Find More Posts by Arkx400
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:29 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,356 Posts
This plane uses the 85 degree retracts right? So what if I use 90? Just widens the stance doesn't it?

Thanks guys.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:09 AM
Registered User
WBKelsoe's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Wind

I've got caught too with a Stearman. They don't like crosswinds on the best of days. Anyway, flew on a day the wind was not so bad, but there were crosswind gusts. Got caught while landing on the flare. Did a cartwheel. i guess the type of plane rreally doesn't matter wheen you get caught in that particular position.
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:44 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,482 Posts
Crosswind landing: Into wind wing down, opposite rudder to maintain heading.Keep right through the flare.
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:58 AM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
This plane uses the 85 degree retracts right? So what if I use 90? Just widens the stance doesn't it?

Thanks guys.
Yes and no. I have seen people do it, and it always sticks out like a sore thumb. They just look wrong, plus I would think you increase the chance of bending struts. Coming in perfect wings level the struts will not be at 90 degree with the ground so you have extra loading side to side. I would think that the extra camber could make for some interesting ground handling too.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E-Flight Platinum series P-51b nitro_star Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Aug 27, 2010 04:09 PM
Question E-flite p-51b RCDestroyer Electric Plane Talk 4 Aug 26, 2010 12:10 PM
Sold ESM P-51B Mustang - "Frank Tiano Series" mustang1971 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Jun 06, 2010 02:32 PM
For Sale Nib E-flite platinum series AT-6 Texan w/ optional accsry's lavochkin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Mar 31, 2009 06:51 PM
For Sale NEW - Top Flite P-51B Mustang #RARE# JimJams Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Apr 13, 2006 05:17 AM