Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
Quad Squad
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2011
237 Posts
Thanks guys. Nobody else was there - just me. So, I propped up my iPad to take the video - right on the ground. Most of the footage was not usable - I was flying 3 mistakes high so you are just seeing my takeoff (not that scale and right into the wind) and then the taxi back to the station. If I fly tomorrow, maybe I can get someone to video it.

This is a the Tricounty Barnstormers field near New Waverly, TX and the club put this black material that looks like a heavyweight version of the landscaping covering to block weeds. Before it was quite loose but I think they stretched it fairly well so it is smooth and painted with stripes like a real airfield.

Post flight, I noticed that I had to adjust the all metal E-Flite retracts and spent more time hardening the plywood and holes where the retracts are screwed in...Next mod is to use my shock absorbing struts that I bought for this bird - but it will will require more dremeling of the 5 mm struts to make it fit better than the stock coil type struts.
ManTownMedia is offline Find More Posts by ManTownMedia
Last edited by ManTownMedia; Nov 17, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Retract " SPECIAL" Y connector?

Just read in the instructions that a special y connector comes with the eflite retracts. ????

I bought a set off ebay used....what is special about the Y connector? Do I use one I have or will I need eflites? Is it a reverser in one leg? I have one of those.

Congrats on the first flight.

Introduction: BritCarDoc is a lifelong modeler, have the first freeflight trophy and original AMA number still from 1955. I've flown a little of everything. Kavan Jet Ranger when they were first out in the 70's, Quarter Midgets, Pattern, 1/2 A, fly SPA old timer pattern now but fly lots of eflite too. Ran a hobby shop for a while too.

Have always loved the B model Mustang and am really excited to be building this one.

So what is the deal with the special y harness?
britcardoc is offline Find More Posts by britcardoc
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:48 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcardoc View Post
Introduction: BritCarDoc is a lifelong modeler, have the first freeflight trophy So what is the deal with the special y harness?
I have not pulled one appart yet, but I suspect it is just a "choke" to prevent noise from the retract motors getting back to the Rx.
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:49 AM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcardoc View Post
Just read in the instructions that a special y connector comes with the eflite retracts. ????

I bought a set off ebay used....what is special about the Y connector? Do I use one I have or will I need eflites? Is it a reverser in one leg? I have one of those.

Congrats on the first flight.

Introduction: BritCarDoc is a lifelong modeler, have the first freeflight trophy and original AMA number still from 1955. I've flown a little of everything. Kavan Jet Ranger when they were first out in the 70's, Quarter Midgets, Pattern, 1/2 A, fly SPA old timer pattern now but fly lots of eflite too. Ran a hobby shop for a while too.

Have always loved the B model Mustang and am really excited to be building this one.

So what is the deal with the special y harness?
It is only special for tricycle landing gear setup. It is a three way "Y". For two wheels it is a normal "Y".
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
More jets than a carburetor
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Sep 2008
2,809 Posts
Its a servo amplifier and I have had issues with several if those.
skydve76 is offline Find More Posts by skydve76
Last edited by skydve76; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,260 Posts
No idea what is special about the E-Flite y harness, but I know the retracts work fine with a regular y harness. I couldn't find the y for the retracts when I put my H9 Mustang together so I just used a regular 6" y harness. I have about 50 flights on it with no problems at all. I do run a seperate rx pack on that plane so there is always plenty of power for the servos and retracts.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:33 PM
AMA#313760
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
I have not pulled one appart yet, but I suspect it is just a "choke" to prevent noise from the retract motors getting back to the Rx.
My guess as well

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
674 Posts
Double post...sorry
danpos is offline Find More Posts by danpos
Last edited by danpos; Nov 18, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
674 Posts
I have a spare Tacon 25 870kv motor and I'm thinking about putting it in my other Mustang.
According to ecalc it should work well on a 11x7x2 or an 11x8x2.
Has anyone done a direct comparison between a power 25 and a power 32 with this plane yet?

I spent four hours flying my P-51B on a G32 770kv with a 13x6.5x2 propeller today.
Most of my flying time was at 3/4 to full throttle.
I kept easing it back of full when I noticed I was there.
So I put the 13x8x2 TGS sport prop. back on.
It's there to stay this time.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
I have a spare Tacon 25 870kv motor and I'm thinking about putting it in my other Mustang.
According to ecalc it should work well on a 11x7x2 or an 11x8x2.
Has anyone done a direct comparison between a power 25 and a power 32 with this plane yet?

I spent four hours flying my P-51B on a G32 770kv with a 13x6.5x2 propeller today.
Most of my flying time was at 3/4 to full throttle.
I kept easing it back of full when I noticed I was there.
So I put the 13x8x2 TGS sport prop. back on.
It's there to stay this time.
When I first flew the "B" with the stock recommended setup, I didn't like the performance of the 13X6.5. The 13X8 gave the speed I expected.

A 25 sized motor might fly get the "B" in the air, but I can't see it flying this 6lb airplane with any authority
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:55 PM
Quad Squad
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2011
237 Posts
Mine has the G32 from HobbyKing with a 4s and a 5s battery. My prop is a 13x8 and it worked fine. I have not used any special Y connectors - just the std ones that I already had from other planes for the retracts.
ManTownMedia is offline Find More Posts by ManTownMedia
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:14 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
When I first flew the "B" with the stock recommended setup, I didn't like the performance of the 13X6.5. The 13X8 gave the speed I expected.

A 25 sized motor might fly get the "B" in the air, but I can't see it flying this 6lb airplane with any authority
Yes I imagined flying this plane on a power 25 would be very underpowered.
I'm just exploring options where I have a second one ready to be completed.
Longer flight times is why I was curious about a power 25.

Has anyone tried a Eflite BL32 size 1010kv brushless out runner motor on this plane?
The other option is a Power46?
If I'm going to build another one I want it to be different power wise.
Last edited by danpos; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
United States, MN, Maple Plain
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
Yes I imagined flying this plane on a power 25 would be very underpowered.
I'm just exploring options where I have a second one ready to be completed.
Longer flight times is why I was curious about a power 25.

Has anyone tried a Eflite BL32 size 1010kv brushless out runner motor on this plane?
The other option is a Power46?
If I'm going to build another one I want it to be different power wise.
I've been flying mine with the eflite power46 on 5 cells 4000mAh 40c with a 13x8 2 blade, and the performance is great. Am getting 52.6 amps on a fresh batt. but I dont fly this one wot much, I did limit the throttle to 85% to keep the amps from going over 45 I didnt want to stress the motor since there isnt any need for the extra power with this plane.
sbakr23 is offline Find More Posts by sbakr23
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:20 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakr23 View Post
I've been flying mine with the eflite power46 on 5 cells 4000mAh 40c with a 13x8 2 blade, and the performance is great. Am getting 52.6 amps on a fresh batt. but I dont fly this one wot much, I did limit the throttle to 85% to keep the amps from going over 45 I didnt want to stress the motor since there isnt any need for the extra power with this plane.
Did you try the Power46 on a 4 cell?
I didn't want to run this on a 5 cell, I have plenty of 4 S but only one 5S.

I finally applied the dull coat to my P51-B. Looks better even after the first coat.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:06 AM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
516 Posts
The power 46 has a sweet spot for 5s and a 13x8. Got a few planes with that setup and love it!

If you were to try 4s just run the p32 with a 13x8! Flys great with that setup. 5s on a p32 with a 12x8 picks up some speed...
SmokeDogg is offline Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log