HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
So I put the meter on the "B" and got the following (G32 770 kV Trust 70A ESC 13x8 TGS) :

4S 3000 mah Flightmax 40C: 52,7A -14,8V - 787,3 Watt
5S 2650 mah Flightmax 45C: 69,05 A - 17,34V - 1217,3 Watt

Those are max values recorded static at the very beginning of the discharge.

Both packs were fully charged but a bit on the cold side (16°C).

Trust ESC is up to the task IMO. The G32 is rated 55A max for 15sec... so I would not recommend running this setup WOT for more than a few seconds, but cruising along at 2/3 thottle should be fine with a few burst at WOT for giant loops or high speed passes.
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Ugh, I hated my trust 55a esc, couln't program it for crap, the brake was always on, even though in the program it was "off"
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:15 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
700 Posts
I finally had a chance to fly my newly repaired P-51B after the ridiculous series of careless errors I made causing my P-51B to hit a pc of rebar and smash the wing into small pcs of balsa.
When it was over it looked like a bear bit a huge chunk of balsa out of the wing, chewed it and spit it out. Even the cowling was ripped clean off.

It took many hours to rebuild all the little panels and framing I built, then recover with ultracoat.
After all that I was amazed that it didn't need any trimming other than one click of left rudder.
Even though I took carfeful measuremants rebuilding it I expected it to be a disaster.
It flew great!

Also today was the first time I used full flaps to land.
After reading about all of the trouble there has been with stalling I have been landing without flaps most of the time. I have had some very high speed landings.

I did my final turn quite high and going fast (5/8 throttle). Slowed down gradually (1/2 throttle) and went full flaps.
It didn't balloon at all. I reduced the throttle down to about 1/3 now.
Still getting lower and slower. It does look very cool coming in with full flaps
It was about 2' off the runway. I kept waiting for it to drop on it's own, but it floated right on by me going very slow?
I have to say if that was over 20mph I'm a very bad judge of speed.

Since the airfield was frozen and I had to avoid patches of ice I'm going to start the second Mustang P-51B. Or I should say RAF Mustang MKIII.
Instead of painting the P-51 I might use ultracoat instead. I don't mind the occasional ironing.

Has anyone tried applying ultracoat over the canopies that Park Flyer Plastics sell?
I expect to use a low heat setting and keep the iron moving so I don't melt the canopy.
Any thoughts on this?
danpos is online now Find More Posts by danpos
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:35 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpos View Post
Has anyone tried applying ultracoat over the canopies that Park Flyer Plastics sell?
I expect to use a low heat setting and keep the iron moving so I don't melt the canopy.
Any thoughts on this?
As I do have the Park Flyer Plastics canopy, I never thought of that.......although since im not that good at applying ultra coat...... I will probably paint the canopy and the rest of the top side of the P-51 all the same color.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
If you're going to re-cover, why not consider a flat covering like MonoKote Flat Olive Drab?
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:03 PM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined Dec 2011
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioa View Post
If you're going to re-cover, why not consider a flat covering like MonoKote Flat Olive Drab?
The Monokote feels thin in comparison to me.
But I do like the look of the Monokote on my Hyperion L-4.
Funny, my wife likes the P-51B shiny and thinks I'll ruin the look of it if I dullcoat it.
danpos is online now Find More Posts by danpos
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:13 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
Ultracote is better quality stuff. It has better shrinkage qualities.
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2012
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I hope you'll post some photos of it as it progresses...sounds interesting.
ce
Here are a few crappy phone pictures. My digital camera is still in hiding.

I'm not sure which "Red Tail" plane this will turn out to be. Something along the lines of the last one pictured but without the red and yellow on the nose. Still waiting on main retracts and a pilot. The fuselage is painted silver now but the phone's email is afraid of the hurricane for the time being.
JudahBenHur is offline Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
I crashed

I took off, and got halfway through a circle and my TX started beeing due to low batts(I didn't remember them being low last time I glanced at it). I immediatly went around to approach and land. I lined up, hit the flaps, and that was it. NO signal. She went in from 70-80'(approx). Destroyed the former where the wing mounts, ripped the wings out, stripped 3 servos. A few other wood parts cracked. Went down in a soft mud area, so there was solid mud 2"+ in the cowl, and everywhere else.

Thankfully I have another wing set. I'll have to work on fixing a warped flap, but it's doable. The worst part is all the weathering and detail that I'll have to redo to match the fuse.

I've had pretty bad luck flying lately. I wanted to keep this plane nice and pristine, and for the most part I had. The worst is that something as stupid and tx batts caused it. You would think the dx6i would start beeping more than 5 seconds before it stops signal(literally 5 seconds).

;(
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Sep 2012
283 Posts
Here are a couple more of the E-Flite P51B Mustang currently being built. The little pilot still needs replacing.

Never mind all the junk in the background.
JudahBenHur is offline Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Just got my first Eflite P51B..... sticker shock on the retracts. Almost as much as the airframe.

Is there a good alternative to the Eflite $130 set?

Or...does someone have a used set?

And what does the "18g" mean on the American tail wheel post?
britcardoc is offline Find More Posts by britcardoc
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:51 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2008
1,570 Posts
See my post above...

Turnigy G32 and Turnigy Trust 70A ESC make a good & cheap power plant.

I used HXT900 on flaps and ailerons (also I would now recommend to use metal gear 9 gr for the flaps) and HXT D MG16 for rudder and elevator.

I use mine as a belly lander so no retracts at all

Have a look here:

E-flite P-51B Mustang 32e Platinum Series (2 min 39 sec)
Manu Simon is offline Find More Posts by Manu Simon
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
I already ordered the turnigy power setup. Ihave the battery, servos and all but I stll need retracts.

Someone must have a set.....or a Hong Kong replacement.

Now what is the hot set up for the tail wheel?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
34 Posts
Is anyone out there?

I know I,m late to this party.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:20 AM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcardoc View Post
I already ordered the turnigy power setup. Ihave the battery, servos and all but I stll need retracts.

Someone must have a set.....or a Hong Kong replacement.

Now what is the hot set up for the tail wheel?
As far as mains go I think most are using the E-Flites, couldn't tell you what others will fit. For the tailwheel this link should take you to ALL AMERICANS mod thread in his blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471800
V2rider is online now Find More Posts by V2rider