SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:43 AM
whiirrrrrr
srt8madness's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
"Stock" is supposed to be 5.25-6.0lbs..... so not even close to a pound over "stock" my friend. Where did you get the 1.5-2 lbs figure? Also, I'm not overpowering anything, I'm just trying to swing a scale 4 bladed prop effectively. And I'm not taking any offense.

Eric
6.5 + 7oz, lets call it 7 lbs. That's 1lb over on the low side, and 1.75 on the high. That's IF you go with the 6s(which you said you probably wouldn't). But 6.9 pounds is preeeetty close to a pound over lol. Again, not that there is anything wrong with that. I do look forward to seeing the 4 blader! What size are you looking to run?
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
6.5 + 7oz, lets call it 7 lbs. That's 1lb over on the low side, and 1.75 on the high. That's IF you go with the 6s(which you said you probably wouldn't). But 6.9 pounds is preeeetty close to a pound over lol. Again, not that there is anything wrong with that. I do look forward to seeing the 4 blader! What size are you looking to run?
Ok ok, fair enough.

I'm using the FMS 1400mm P-51 blades attached to a hub I built (pics attached) so its a ~14" diameter prop that looks amazingly scale and beautiful in flight and on the ground.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
LICobra's Avatar
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,424 Posts
I got to try out the VQ struts at a local all electric fly in today.....this field had a very nice asphault runway....which is something im not used to since im usually flying off of grass fields.....the struts worked well and the 4 blade pulled her around the field at a very respectable pace. next time I'll use the GPS and see what she does in level flight.
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:16 PM
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I got to try out the VQ struts at a local all electric fly in today.....this field had a very nice asphault runway....which is something im not used to since im usually flying off of grass fields.....the struts worked well and the 4 blade pulled her around the field at a very respectable pace. next time I'll use the GPS and see what she does in level flight.
Hey!! Yours looks just like mine... and here I thought I was being original, lol.

Seriously though, what 4 blade are you using and what motor/battery/esc makes it work??

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
Registered User
flmlm's Avatar
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Thanks for sharing Eric. I'm on the way to finishing my second eflite mustang and the more I look at it the more I see the need for a four blade prop.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:56 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
LICobra's Avatar
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Hey!! Yours looks just like mine... and here I thought I was being original, lol.

Seriously though, what 4 blade are you using and what motor/battery/esc makes it work??

Eric
E...The prop is an APC glo 4 blade (15.5X12) cut down to 13X12. The motor is a Scorpion 4025-550kv, esc e-flite 60A and 3600 4S lipo....with 5 minute flight times leaving 30% capacity.
LICobra is online now Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:04 AM
Registered User
cobra243's Avatar
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
Mustang for sale

Hey guys im selling my airframe venom charger and (2) 3s 2200 gforce lipos with a lot of extras on ebay check out the listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230844126191...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230844103239...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230844146783...84.m1555.l2649
cobra243 is offline Find More Posts by cobra243
Last edited by cobra243; Aug 29, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:26 AM
Registered User
sbakr23's Avatar
United States, MN, Maple Plain
Joined Jun 2012
44 Posts
Cg

Where have you guys found the CG to be generally? I measured back from where the wing leading edge meets the fuse, and set it per the range set in the manual. I now balance towards the back of the range, but am getting a little leary of being tail heavy. I am at 4 1/4 in. back. The reason I ask is my manual is vague, it says set CG from position shown. But the pic shown has no pointer and I am assuming it is at the wing root they mean.
sbakr23 is offline Find More Posts by sbakr23
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
whiirrrrrr
srt8madness's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
I believe my manual says from "where the wing meets the fuselage "
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:08 PM
Capitalist
fnlrun's Avatar
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,903 Posts
Mine didn't fare so well on my madin....
CG was WAYYYY off even after balancing it and didn't have enough speed on T/O. It's fixable but need a new cowl, canopy and epoxy...
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:16 PM
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakr23 View Post
Where have you guys found the CG to be generally? I measured back from where the wing leading edge meets the fuse, and set it per the range set in the manual. I now balance towards the back of the range, but am getting a little leary of being tail heavy. I am at 4 1/4 in. back. The reason I ask is my manual is vague, it says set CG from position shown. But the pic shown has no pointer and I am assuming it is at the wing root they mean.
I agree with you, the manual DOES NOT truly specify where to measure, it just says from the leading edge.... well, it varies a LOT because of that angled part of the wing so its rather confusing. My first flight was very tail heavy, but don't worry if you miss the mark slightly, it still flies like a champ... I was impressed. I landed multiple times and moved the battery about an inch forward every time per test flight until I found a "sweet spot". Its a wonderful plane, and for those who might argue with me about the manual.... take a look at the attached picture directly from the manual that you can find online at horizonhobby.com and which is also identical to the one I received with my P-51B.

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:18 PM
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun View Post
Mine didn't fare so well on my madin....
CG was WAYYYY off even after balancing it and didn't have enough speed on T/O. It's fixable but need a new cowl, canopy and epoxy...
Sorry to hear, I did the exact same thing on my first P-51's maiden... not enough speed... and potentially incorrect CG as I measured it that same on my 2nd and while it had plenty of power, it was pretty tail heavy. Bad combo that. What motor/prop are or were you using?

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:17 PM
Capitalist
fnlrun's Avatar
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Sorry to hear, I did the exact same thing on my first P-51's maiden... not enough speed... and potentially incorrect CG as I measured it that same on my 2nd and while it had plenty of power, it was pretty tail heavy. Bad combo that. What motor/prop are or were you using?

Eric
14*9 prop and an eflite 46
fnlrun is offline Find More Posts by fnlrun
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:28 AM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
I agree with you, the manual DOES NOT truly specify where to measure, it just says from the leading edge.... well, it varies a LOT because of that angled part of the wing so its rather confusing. My first flight was very tail heavy, but don't worry if you miss the mark slightly, it still flies like a champ... I was impressed. I landed multiple times and moved the battery about an inch forward every time per test flight until I found a "sweet spot". Its a wonderful plane, and for those who might argue with me about the manual.... take a look at the attached picture directly from the manual that you can find online at horizonhobby.com and which is also identical to the one I received with my P-51B.

Eric
It may not say it in the manual for this one, but every other E-Flite and H9 plane I have measures the cg from the leading edge at the fuse. That almost always the safe point to measure from. A lot of planes furthest forward point on the wing is at the fuse. If anything going from there you may end up nose heavy.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2012, 01:08 AM
whiirrrrrr
srt8madness's Avatar
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
I agree with you, the manual DOES NOT truly specify where to measure, it just says from the leading edge.... well, it varies a LOT because of that angled part of the wing so its rather confusing. My first flight was very tail heavy, but don't worry if you miss the mark slightly, it still flies like a champ... I was impressed. I landed multiple times and moved the battery about an inch forward every time per test flight until I found a "sweet spot". Its a wonderful plane, and for those who might argue with me about the manual.... take a look at the attached picture directly from the manual that you can find online at horizonhobby.com and which is also identical to the one I received with my P-51B.

Eric
No argument my man, you're right!
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E-Flight Platinum series P-51b nitro_star Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Aug 27, 2010 04:09 PM
Question E-flite p-51b RCDestroyer Electric Plane Talk 4 Aug 26, 2010 12:10 PM
Sold ESM P-51B Mustang - "Frank Tiano Series" mustang1971 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Jun 06, 2010 02:32 PM
For Sale Nib E-flite platinum series AT-6 Texan w/ optional accsry's lavochkin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Mar 31, 2009 06:51 PM
For Sale NEW - Top Flite P-51B Mustang #RARE# JimJams Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Apr 13, 2006 05:17 AM