HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:25 PM
AMA#313760
JLogan's Avatar
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu Simon View Post
Always nice to see in flight pics of this little jewel

John, may I suggest a bit of touchup paint on your horn/clevis

Those white spots are the only details that need to be corrected !
Thank You Manu,

Replacement of all the stock clevis is in order. Already have the Spring Steel Kwik-Links clevis installed on the elevator's and I will replace the others as well. I'm still thinking of the Langing gear struts, they need to go. As we already seen the Robart 652R/652L Struts work well on this mustang. The tail retract may need to go altogether, still looking for a way to get the backward sweep

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:57 PM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
ALL American's Avatar
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLogan View Post
Replacement of all the stock clevis is in order.
I agree John and have already started replacing my clevises with Sullivan Gold N' Clevises. Are the Kwik Links black? If so, maybe I'll use them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLogan View Post
I'm still thinking of the Langing gear struts, they need to go. As we already seen the Robart 652R/652L Struts work well on this mustang.
Here's what I did about the struts.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1313696034

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1313695888

I modified the fixed gear struts that came with the P51B and attached the gear doors with nylon landing gear straps (both the flat and the U shaped) and spaced them with nylon spacers. I still have to paint the screw heads so they're less obtrusive but the modified struts have performed well for the three flights I have on them.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLogan View Post
The tail retract may need to go altogether, still looking for a way to get the backward sweep


Here's how I corrected the tail retract issue.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471800

Regards,

Anthony
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Last edited by ALL American; Aug 25, 2011 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
AMA - 734492
EricClark's Avatar
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,123 Posts
Anthony,

That is a great mod for the stock gear. Looks much better!

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:12 PM
AMA#313760
JLogan's Avatar
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL American View Post
I agree John and have already started replacing my clevises with Sullivan Gold N' Clevises. Are the Kwik Links black? If so, maybe I'll use them.

Regards,

Anthony
Yes the Kwik Links are Black. The other mods you did look outstanding.

Horizon's R&D for the MCPx helicopter is working very hard to make upgrades to make the helicopter fly better(Outstanding), now if they would only work on the fixed wing aircraft like this outstanding p-51b. I'd buy the new upgrade 51 like right now.
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 08:33 AM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
ALL American's Avatar
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
Anthony,

That is a great mod for the stock gear. Looks much better!

Eric
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLogan View Post
Yes the Kwik Links are Black. The other mods you did look outstanding.

Thank You Eric and John.

The E Flite provided fixed gear struts were staring me in the face as a better alternative than the struts with reversed axles. I had to shorten the top of the struts by 1/8" and grind a new flat, then I had to re-bend the struts so the wheels sat deeper in the wells. I never liked the stock gear door attachment and had planned on using landing gear straps and screws from the onset. I used nylon washers of various thickness to accommodate the struts sitting deeper in the wells.


Great minds think alike! At the time I had posted initial photos of my tinkering with this mod http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1314 one of our most esteemed members had contacted me because he had already completed the same mod. He shared the method and the issues he had encountered while completing this mod. The gear doors on his P51B look better than mine because the hardware is hidden from view, versus the screw heads on the outside of my P51B's gear doors.


Once the hurricane has passed, I'll post some close up pictures of the main gear and how I attached the gear doors. Right now, I'm already in my bunker LOL


If anyone uses Oleo struts, please post your results.

Regards,

Anthony
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Last edited by ALL American; Aug 26, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:28 AM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL American View Post

Once the hurricane has passed, I'll post some close up pictures of the main gear and how I attached the gear doors. Right now, I'm already in my bunker LOL


If anyone uses Oleo struts, please post your results.

Regards,

Anthony
It's the calm before the storm, looks like you have the same weather I do here today. last chance to fly before all breaks loose.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:47 PM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
ALL American's Avatar
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
It's the calm before the storm, looks like you have the same weather I do here today. last chance to fly before all breaks loose.
I'm off to the field now... LOL

Regards,

Anthony
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:32 PM
got any foam to bash?
Tom Hunt's Avatar
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
It's the calm before the storm, looks like you have the same weather I do here today. last chance to fly before all breaks loose.
Yup, I wen't out this morning, beautiful! Did not bring the stang today though.

Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:51 PM
"Fly Low, Fly Fast, Turn Left"
SmokeDogg's Avatar
United States, CA, Red Bluff
Joined Jul 2009
522 Posts
I wish all you guys the best over there...
SmokeDogg is offline Find More Posts by SmokeDogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: H9 P-47d .60 Flight Log
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
Registered User
capteasy's Avatar
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,883 Posts
..... second that. Hoping all will be a non event.
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:14 PM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
ALL American's Avatar
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Yesterday, I flew my P51B three times. The more I fly it the more I like it. One of my landings was very fast and after setting the wheels down on the grass she began tipping forward so I added some more up elevator and she went airborne again. About a foot off the ground all I could think was "OH NO" but I increased the throttle a bit to avoid a stall and I touched down a little further up the runway for a nice landing. On that landing I didn't get to the flap switch quick enough and it's important to get those flaps back up as soon as this bird is on the ground. Either that or I need to slow my landing down quite a bit. All-in-all, my P51B's first six flights have been successful and uneventful.

On one 5 minute flight I guess I must have flown more aggressively and I wound up putting 3400 Mah back into a 4000 Mah pack. The pack was warm, not hot and it was at 3.65 volts per cell after the flight. I never run my packs down that far. I am flying with an APC 13 X 8E prop, E Flite Power 32 and a Gens Ace 4S - 4000 MAh 25C-50C pack. The plane is fast and the power system smooth so it's easy to get carried away.

Everyone in the path of the Irene, stay safe and good luck!

Regards,

Anthony
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:24 PM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL American View Post
Yesterday, I flew my P51B three times. The more I fly it the more I like it. One of my landings was very fast and after setting the wheels down on the grass she began tipping forward so I added some more up elevator and she went airborne again. About a foot off the ground all I could think was "OH NO" but I increased the throttle a bit to avoid a stall and I touched down a little further up the runway for a nice landing. On that landing I didn't get to the flap switch quick enough and it's important to get those flaps back up as soon as this bird is on the ground. Either that or I need to slow my landing down quite a bit. All-in-all, my P51B's first six flights have been successful and uneventful.

On one 5 minute flight I guess I must have flown more aggressively and I wound up putting 3400 Mah back into a 4000 Mah pack. The pack was warm, not hot and it was at 3.65 volts per cell after the flight. I never run my packs down that far. I am flying with an APC 13 X 8E prop, E Flite Power 32 and a Gens Ace 4S - 4000 MAh 25C-50C pack. The plane is fast and the power system smooth so it's easy to get carried away.

Everyone in the path of the Irene, stay safe and good luck!

Regards,

Anthony
Now aren't you glad you came back out of the bunker? I took my own advice and went out yesterday for the H9 Corsair maiden. Forgot to bring my second 5000ma pack though. The maiden went so well I had to hang out and recharge at the field for a second flight. Yet another great flying plane offered up from HH. Now that it's done I can start putting together my second b.
Note to self. Double check control throws this time.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:31 PM
It's Not Too Windy...Man Up
ALL American's Avatar
USA, CT, Wallingford
Joined Oct 2009
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by V2rider View Post
Now aren't you glad you came back out of the bunker? I took my own advice and went out yesterday for the H9 Corsair maiden. Forgot to bring my second 5000ma pack though. The maiden went so well I had to hang out and recharge at the field for a second flight. Yet another great flying plane offered up from HH. Now that it's done I can start putting together my second b.
Note to self. Double check control throws this time.
Congrats on the successful maiden of your Corsair.

Now that my B is flying I have to choose between the 63" Top Flite P47 or the Hangar 9 65" P47. I like the Top Flite because it looks more true scale and it already has a battery hatch

Regards,

Anthony
ALL American is offline Find More Posts by ALL American
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:52 PM
Registered User
V2rider's Avatar
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,311 Posts
I love the P-47. If I didn't already have the H9 150 size I would go for the Top Flite version. The hatch already being there is a huge plus. I have a VQ p-40 that I have to put a hatch in. No way am I going to deal with removing a wing to get at the packs.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:37 PM
AMA#313760
JLogan's Avatar
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL American View Post
Congrats on the successful maiden of your Corsair.

Now that my B is flying I have to choose between the 63" Top Flite P47 or the Hangar 9 65" P47. I like the Top Flite because it looks more true scale and it already has a battery hatch

Regards,

Anthony
Top Flite!!!!!!!! All the way. I have a gold kit p-47 and she flys very well.

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion E-Flight Platinum series P-51b nitro_star Scale Kit/Scratch Built 2 Aug 27, 2010 04:09 PM
Question E-flite p-51b RCDestroyer Electric Plane Talk 4 Aug 26, 2010 12:10 PM
Sold ESM P-51B Mustang - "Frank Tiano Series" mustang1971 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Jun 06, 2010 02:32 PM
For Sale Nib E-flite platinum series AT-6 Texan w/ optional accsry's lavochkin Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Mar 31, 2009 06:51 PM
For Sale NEW - Top Flite P-51B Mustang #RARE# JimJams Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Apr 13, 2006 05:17 AM