HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2003, 09:52 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2003
18 Posts
Can't decide on my first wing... Zagi? Unicorn? Others"

Hey everyone, I've been reading all the posts and doing some searches, but I guess I really just want to verify some things before I run out and buy my next plane. If I end up not being happy with it and buying another plane, I'll be invoking the wrath of my fiance

I've been flying a "lightened" Airstrike AKA Groundstrike, and have gotten to where I can fly it pretty well. One of the things I dislike most about it is the fact that it will not fly unless winds are very light.

From what I've read, the Zagi's and Zagi like wings are the best planes to fly on a windy day. Is this an accurate assumption? I also like the fact that they are aerobatic and durable. I've been pricing the Zagi 400X, but now I've been reading about the unicorn, and I just don't know what route to go. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Also I will have to buy a transmitter etc, and am assuming I should just spend the money to get a good one now. I'd love any input on where I may find the best prices.

Thanks,
Kevin
kspurr is offline Find More Posts by kspurr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:35 AM
Me likes Depron...
Amsterdam Schiphol, Netherlands
Joined Mar 2003
1,577 Posts
Hi,

Wings are great ailerontrainers but I'll advice to buy an EPP foamed wing, this foam bounces in stead of breaking
The Zagi has only a leading edge made of EPP..so.....
A good and reasonable priced ($40) ALL EPP wing is the Overlord from www.edgerc.com
Check it out!

Peter
Pjotrrr is offline Find More Posts by Pjotrrr
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:38 AM
Go Leafs Go!
Georgetown,ON,Canada
Joined Jan 2002
262 Posts
There is a lot of information here on all types of wings. It can be very bewildering to find it all and then make an informed decision. Can you ask the moderator or someone who knows how, to do a poll asking people which is their favorite wing. Perhaps a couple of categories would be nice. Favorite beginner wing and favorite performance wing. Just an idea.
Fantam is online now Find More Posts by Fantam
Old Jun 30, 2003, 03:41 PM
Toronto, ON Canada
Joined Jul 2002
877 Posts
Here's an idea - check out the MS Composit Swift (www.mscomposit.com) - it's an all-EPP 10oz. 32" Flyiing wing with a 5:1 geared SP300 motor.

I currently own a Zagi 400, Wedgie and the Swift - and the swift is just too much fun! It can't handle alot of wind, but under 7-or-so mph shoud be fine.

It's no speed demon, but it did teach me basic aerobatics & inverted flight!
Helicool is offline Find More Posts by Helicool
Old Jun 30, 2003, 04:55 PM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Not sure what a Airstrike or Groundstrike are but I can say nothing but good things about the Unicorn from www.unicornventures.com There is a huge thread about this plane (with a lot of garbage posts unfortunately) and the user manual is one of the best (you can download it off their site) I've seen.

This was my first wing and it builds very easy. About a year ago, all you could read on here was love for the Zagi. Since the Fixx, all I hear is "better than Zagi"..."Zagi flap" and such. So I steered clear of it. Since I already had the gear from another plane, $50 was a great price for the kit. also, it is an all EPP wing that you can ultimately cut down to 42" and 36" when you want a more acrobatic bird.

First flight went perfect and the bird glides extremely well.

Jay
Jay C is offline Find More Posts by Jay C
Old Jun 30, 2003, 06:54 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2003
18 Posts
Fantam, a poll probably would be good idea, but it'd be a pretty hairy looking one with all the categories. Maybe some of the mods will read this and get an idea

The swift and Overlord sound great too, but I'm thinking I'll probably be ordering the Unicorn, because of the size. I really do want something that can take some wind, and a kit that comes with most of what I need to build will be very useful. This will be my first "build" so I'm guessing it'll be nice to have most of the appropriate parts come in one box. Thanks for the input.

Now I guess I just need to figure out what transmitter I want, and where to get all the other build materials.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 07:40 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2003
46 Posts
I have a Zaggi 400.

A friend has the Unicorn...I am VERY impressed with the Unicorn.

I am not going to get another wing, but if I trash the Zaggi I will get a Unicorn.
RonHill is offline Find More Posts by RonHill
Old Jul 01, 2003, 08:19 AM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kspurr
Now I guess I just need to figure out what transmitter I want, and where to get all the other build materials.
You'll need a transmitter with elevon mixing, or else a seperate mixer. I use the JR421 with mine. As for other materials you'll only need 3M spray (I used Elmers spray), Probond, colored packing tape, 3M painters masking tape (very useful stuff...I have been using it for a long time as a clamp for my models to dry), sandpaper for the elevons, #11 exacto blades, a Dremmel comes in super handy for making servo and receiver pockets, and a soldering iron to make the control rods without z-bends. They supply the fiber tape (a whole roll of it), and they specify carpet tape, but I just cut some slits in my winglets to tape them to my wing. Check out there site for what they recommend, but this is all I used.

Of course you'll need 2 Hs81's (MG if you like), a 555 or other small dual conversion receiver (like the FMA extreme, or Berg), servo extension to place the servos more outboard on the elevons, a 15A or higer ESC and a sp400 (retimed would be better as a pusher, and finally a high amp draw pack (I am using a 8-cell Kan I got for $25 from www.cheapbatterypacks.com).

Good luck and ask if you run into any questions. The build is straight forward if you read and follow the instructions.

Jay
Jay C is offline Find More Posts by Jay C
Old Jul 01, 2003, 03:10 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
I was a zagi man for a year until the "Unicorn came out"....man you can do so much with it. You can cut it down to 36 inches, the sink rate is increadable, ALL EEP, but still pretty light weight (Mine is 21oz 42 inch wing), if it was not for the corn I would not be able to fly inverted. I flew inverted with the zagi and the corn is so much easer to fly inverted. I have crashed soooo many time with the corn and I only crashed 5 times with the zagi because the 5th time I trashed it. Now the only down fall to the corn is the motor tube which is also a plus. The motor tube on the corn sticks out so far from the wing it makes the motor soooooo quiet. Sometimes you dont even know it is on!!!!....but when you crash real bad the motor goes in the tube..(which is not to bad because you just poke it back out)...but if you crash real real bad...(60mph nose dive) the whole wing is fine but the motor tube might break. What I did is buy 2 tubes..and just put another tube on and a motor on....my zagi would have been trashed easly at that speed nose dive.......These are my thoughts.....THANKS MARK FOR MAKING A GREAT PRODUCT!!!
Bill
P.S. My corn has an astro 020 brushless motor................so but I have heard so many good things from the stock motor to!!!
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Jul 01, 2003, 04:53 PM
Speed cost money.
United States, FL, Marathon
Joined Dec 2002
3,045 Posts
I have to say.... I am suprized that nobody is leading you to the WingWarriors raider. I run 9 cells and a brushless motor in these suckers and have gone out in highwind days just to see if it would still fly. So far I have not met a wind that can ground the plane. Oh and it is all EPP thus I do real Midair combat. Not that streamer stuff.

www.wingwarriors.com

No I am not associated with the company just love their plane.

Highflier
highflier is offline Find More Posts by highflier
Old Jul 01, 2003, 05:24 PM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
If you get a zagi and plan to crash it, get the ALL epp version, not the one with just a 1" strip of epp along the front... so price compare based on the more expensive zagi not the standard...

I learned to fly on the unicorn as my FIRST plane all together, not just my first wing.. over 45 crashes (some on purpose, some due to 60+ wind gust in a storm hehehe)

Best first TX = Flash 5 (Room to grow) --- but you might want to sell the HS55 servos that come with it for 15-20$ each on ebay, and buy some HS81 Metal Gear servos...
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Last edited by Draconious; Jul 01, 2003 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2003, 09:27 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2003
18 Posts
I ordered the Unicorn, and now I'm just trying to decide which transmitter to get. I'm leaning toward a Hitec Flash5 SX for $198.95 shipped that comes with:
Flash 5 SX FM Transmitter
Transmitter NiCads & Charger
Micro 555 5-Ch Receiver
(3) HS-81MG Servos
270mah Rx Battery Pack
Servo Extension

Does that sound like about the best deal I should be able to find? I realise that I can reuse some of these parts later, but this hobby is becoming expensive quickly, lol. I think my fiance is just happy that its taking away from my SCCA/AutoX and road racing... They end up being a little too expensive for the time being...
Old Jul 01, 2003, 11:08 PM
United States, MI, Lapeer
Joined Aug 2000
759 Posts
scroll down to 5 channel...
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hitec.htm

I dont thinkt he one that comes with 3 HS81 has metal gears...

reason I got the flash 5 with 2 HS55 (150$ at the time its now 170$)
, and just bought 2 seperate servos with metal gears
Draconious is offline Find More Posts by Draconious
Old Jul 02, 2003, 02:20 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,030 Posts
I have a hard time getting any reasonably priced HS81's here, so I've just ordered two of the new GWS ParkHPX BB servos for my Unicorn. On paper they are lighter, stronger, faster, and cheaper then the HS81.

Will keep you posted...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away