Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:44 AM
Birmingham (UK)
Joined Sep 2010
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye007 View Post
once built how easy is it to pack away again. as i don't have a lot of room
I always pack mine in the box, so it has to withstand frequent reassembly. If you do the rudder mods like I have done, then it's easy. If you don't, you're likely to break the rudder very quickly. The elevator linkage is a bit fiddly and I found it's best left on the pushrod for storage and then just screw it to the elevator wire (magnetic screwdriver is very useful) when you reassemble, so you don't have to re-adjust the servo end.
ulogix is offline Find More Posts by ulogix
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:37 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1 Posts
I also had the same trouble with tail screw. On arriving home (after first flight) the screw fell out!! I thought it was screwed in but what actually happens is that the screw binds on the foam and because you dont want to over tighten the screw has not entered the thread. Once through the foam its ok providing you line it up properly. personally dont like it so will mod this and rudder.
foamie 4 is offline Find More Posts by foamie 4
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:31 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Been flying mine a lot lately. Had no problems at all with the tail wheel mount or rudder. All nice and solid on mine. My fuselage stays in one bit, I only remove the wing for transport. I think it flies better than my original kit one and my mate's ARTF! I am pretty sure the lower wing loading accounts for that.

Not quite enough power to hold a vertical hover ongoing, but on the peak of the battery it will. The ailerons will not quite stop the torque turn. No really surprising, as its not a 3D model and never was. I love doing consecutive loops with the bottom about a foot off the deck. It is really accurate for that. Never quite mastered rolling circles but I have seen it done by a pilot way better than me! Just a lack of skill on my part. Inverted flight seems as good as the right way up. I get over 10 mins on a 2500mAh Li-po and that is enough for me. If i break the prop sometime, I might try a different APC size. 11 x 7 seems a choice that many are making.

My ESC gets up to about 60C (measured with my gun thing). Hot but way below anything critical. I think most ESC temperature cutouts chime in about 100C. My Wattmeter says 28.5A on full power. A bit close for a 30A ESC but it ain't failed yet. If they upgrade it to 35A, that should sort it. I have cut a small slot at the very front of the cowl (lower curve) to let some air through. That only dropped the temp by 5C, but at least it was a step in the right direction.

All in all, pretty good so far.
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:49 AM
South West, UK
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Just got mine yesterday, I did pick up an APC E 11 x 7 while in the shop, so will probably try that first. Its all together, I just need to set it up in my radio then test fly over the weekend if the weather allows.
wildc4rd is offline Find More Posts by wildc4rd
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:36 PM
South West, UK
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
Put 10 flights on it this afternoon, as my first plane with landing gear and a rudder, what a great plane, after a few clicks of trim it was sorted, doing touch and goes a lot of the afternoon getting used to it. I did start with the 11x7 and it will do 8 minutes on a 2200 pack, I see no reason at the moment to go to the 11x8.

All in all, stunning plane for the money/amount of effort required to put it together.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:39 AM
Joined May 2007
20 Posts
Battery Hatch and Tail Wheel

The battery hatch came off while I was taking off. Fortunately the battery connection held so I managed a safe landing. Have now bored a hole in the battery latch and use a pin as an extra keeper.

The tail wheel was broken when I received the Wot. I did not feel it was particulary strong so I made my own tail skid.

Care should also be taken with the screw holding the tail assembly in place as it can easily become loose. How do I know this !! Either loctite the screw or make the tail assembly more permanent.

That said an excellent plane which I am thoroughly enjoying.
leslie_ward is offline Find More Posts by leslie_ward
Old Oct 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
Joined May 2007
20 Posts
Motor

Are their different versoins sold with different motors ? If so what is the difference ?

Has anybody tried a more powerful motor ?
leslie_ward is offline Find More Posts by leslie_ward
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:26 AM
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
WOT 4 FOAM-E anygood for a learner?

Hi,
I am a Heli person, never flown a fixed wing plane - well only on the sim where I can take off do a circuit and land. I can do a circuit and fly nose in on my Heli.

Question is - would this plane be suitable for learner?
Ta, Paul.
chubbylove is offline Find More Posts by chubbylove
Old Oct 18, 2010, 01:44 PM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
430 Posts
As a relatively new learner myself I would say it's a good second choice as it will let you progress from a reduced throw docile flyer to a full throw good basic aerobatic model.

I have a Parkzone Radian glider as my first model, the main reason to choose it was extended flight times compared to a power only model, and it's pretty stable, flies slowly and gives more thinking time. Another highly recommended glider is the Easy Star.

Bonus is you can blast around with the WOT4 and when you feel like a more relaxed flight fire up the glider and drift about at a decent height for ages

I definitely recommend a buddy box and a friendly tutor to avoid too many major repairs!
Redbrickman is offline Find More Posts by Redbrickman
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbylove View Post
Hi,
I am a Heli person, never flown a fixed wing plane - well only on the sim where I can take off do a circuit and land. I can do a circuit and fly nose in on my Heli.

Question is - would this plane be suitable for learner?
Ta, Paul.

Hi what helicopter do you fly
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:52 AM
UK, Greater London, London
Joined Aug 2010
51 Posts
Hello Redbrickman,
thank you for the advice.

Hello Goldeneye007,
I fly a trex 500, sceadu 50, freya 90.

Ta, Paul.
chubbylove is offline Find More Posts by chubbylove
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:56 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Good review in RC Model World (Nov 2010).
Was mentioned that ESC, motor and Battery get quite warm as air cannot get in very well, solution add a hole in the underside of the cowel one inch square.
No further issues with heat.
From the review it looks very well designed and built apart from the weak looking tailwheel / rudder joint to fuselage.

Reminds me of my ST Models MX2 construction out of the same type foam, even the tail assembly is held on in a similar way all be it a plastic locking flange (does not come out in a hurry).
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Last edited by Del-Dredd; Oct 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
430 Posts
My solution was to cut a small slot in the cowling in line with the duct where the ESC lives. It still get warm but not hot. I think I will add a plastic curved piece to make it like a scoop that will funnel in more air. To be efficient the airflow needs a clear passage out through the battery hatch cover, so do not put a big piece of foam in there to pad out the battery

The model flies beautifully right out of the box, and I had no problems with it. A couple of notches on the elevator trim and it just flew straight and level. Landings look relatively easy, but my buddy has been doing them so far. The prop windmills very nicely on the approach to landing.

I added clear packing tape to the thin section of the wing each side of the mounting bolt area, also the rear of the wing tips which are a bit too flexible and thin.

I am toying with 75 mm dia wheels for the grass field I use sometimes.

I will be flying the Wot4 for a long time until I feel capable to fly a hotter aileron model.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 02:51 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
430 Posts
Update...

Added an air scoop to the cowling. I chopped out a curved slot (done in haste and not centred) then fitted a piece of curved plastic.

I used one of those free drink measures you see attached to spirit bottles, you know the plastic ones that never get used

Don't know how cool it will make the ESC but it was barely warm on the last 7 minute flight, but the air temp that day was only 6 deg C !

Also changed the wheels for 70 mm foam wheels.

Split the aileron cable and have separate channels now, maybe try flaps or spoilerons too.

So far 6 flights and a few minutes on the buddy box when it was high enough. My buddy flew an IC version about 15 years ago and now is tempted by the foam one due to the nostalgia!
Last edited by Redbrickman; Oct 27, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:59 PM
South West, UK
Joined Sep 2009
85 Posts
I am up to about 35 flights I guess, similar mods with the duct and 70mm wheels, also changed to a 12x6 prop for lower current draw. One thing to look out for, that nearly cost me a crash (thank god for preflights) keep an eye now and again on the fastenings on the top of the servos for the rudder and elevator. I have loctited mine now, but had a close one with a dodgy elevator.
Last edited by wildc4rd; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:08 AM.