HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:04 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Mate has made into flaperons. Impressive little model.

Also now has changed the prop to electric apc, 11x7. The stocks looks to be 11x8 and draws more amps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e3ob8XHTsQ
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:38 AM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
The stock is an 11 X 8. I had a look and it's marked on the hub.

More details of his flaperon mod would be appreciated
Redbrickman is offline Find More Posts by Redbrickman
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:11 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrickman View Post
The stock is an 11 X 8. I had a look and it's marked on the hub.

More details of his flaperon mod would be appreciated
its not really a mod, its just spliting the y lead.

20% to 60 % is fine for flaperon for calm day.

Don't need any for wind and you don't need any flaperon at all but it does help further to slow her down.

amp draw
on stock 11x8 was 33amps
on apc elec11x7 was 26amps Very good.
on apc elec11x8.5 felt to much load.( no measure measurement taken)
on apc elec11x8 not tried yet
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:06 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Thanks,

I'll be sticking with the stock prop for now well throttled back, as it is my second model, and first aileron ship. I reckon the flexible prop may be a bit more forgiving when I perform some of my more spectacular landings... err... arrivals
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:03 PM
Birmingham (UK)
Joined Sep 2010
342 Posts
Quote:
Perhaps some of you guys that are already flying the model could comment on the fit of the rudder where it is clamped by the tiny screw through the plastic tailwheel assembly? Mine is a very poor fit.

The little screw is as tight as I dare make it without stripping the plastic thread, and yet the rudder can flap about inside it. I am thinking I will have to sleeve the plastic slot that the rudder fits into.

Other than that I am impressed by the solid feel of the model, it looks like a plane that has attitude
I have a WOT4 too - haven't flown it yet, but I've got the same rudder issue as you have and since I store all my planes boxed, I decided to mod the rudder and the tailwheel assembly to make the whole thing stronger to reduce the flapping and to cope with frequent re-assembly.

Pictures below -
ulogix is offline Find More Posts by ulogix
Last edited by ulogix; Sep 10, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:44 AM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gere Sport View Post

Could you post some photos of how you fit the 6200 RX as I will be tempted to swap my 61110e for one.
A couple of photos, not very good but may show you the installation of the 6200. There is a lot more room than appears at first glance. It was a dawdle compared to receivers I installed in my younger days, one of which (27 Mhz Futaba) was larger than the size of the complete radio bay!

I spent about an hour moving the receivers and cable around and settled on the layout shown. The remote receiver antenna is not exactly at 90 degress to the main receiver but I don't think it will degrade he performance too much. The important thing is that each receiver is in a different plane (no pun intended)

I have a 2200 Lipo which slips in easy beside the remote receiver.

Both receivers are fixed to the foam with double sided sticky pads and the tape is added to make sure the cables don't get trapped.

The large lead on the top of the fuselage is a servo extension lead for the ailerons.

ULOGIX, Good idea to stiffen the rudder. I may do something like that, but for now I have simply added some tape (same as in the receiver pictures) to the outside of the rudder where it fits into the plastic clamp.

Have not maidened the Wot4 yet, and not even flown this last two weeks with the rubbish weather at the weekends
Last edited by Redbrickman; Sep 12, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
3 Posts
Had trouble with the stripes around the fuse. Didn't seem to go on as per the picture on the box and didn't have enough stripes on the decal sheet. I ended up cutting some extra strips from the battery bay decal (that isn't used).

Tail wheel a little bent, but nothing that causes a problem.

Using Tipple 2300 3s Lipo (charge up to 5C) and balance is spot on.
Watt meter reads 32A 375W at full throttle restrained.

Have put larger 75mm wheels on as I fly from longish grass (1-2inch). Manages OK but prone to gently nosing over on landing.

First flights today in a bit of gusty wind. Very pleased with the handling. Needed 3 or 4 clicks of left aileron to trim. Great fun
Geoff Gardiner is offline Find More Posts by Geoff Gardiner
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:42 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Nice job, those 75 mm wheels, next on my list as I also fly from long grass on one of my flying fields.

Know what you mean about the Transfers (decals), hard to figure out. My black stripes meet in a chevron on the top of the fuselage. I think the Blue rectangle left on the sheet after removing the bottom transfer maybe extends the bottom sheet and therefore the stripes are further aft and meet up better.

I am tempted to paint the whole of the underside wing blue to make it easier to see when overhead at height.

Today I set up my throws and did a ground run. About 4 mins at half power made the ESC heatsink too hot to touch. I am considering cutting a duct out of the cowling underside to direct the air up through the tunnel where the ESC is fixed, as I don't see how any air can blow over it with the spinner in place

Oh I wonder if they already stock spares? I removed the wing in the garden and lost the wing mounting bolt. No chance of a maiden flight next weekend

Also made me think about threadlocking the tailplane screw.

Hey Geoff, the lady in the background would have made a great graphic on the nose of the WOT4

UPDATE

Well, I rang Ripmax today and had a wonderful experience with the technical department.

Can I help you Sir?

Me "I hope so, I lost the wing mounting screw from my Wot4 Foam E and would like to order a new one..."

Ripmax "Any model shop can help you, they are just 6 mm screws."

End of conversation and possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

So I am thinking to myself as I make my way to the hangar that 6 mm seems too big.

All I can think of is that the goon I spoke to had no interest in helping, and spewed out the first size that came into his head

So if anyone who has an intact Wot4 Foam E can tell me what the size of the wing bolt is then I won't have to take the fuselage to my model shop!
Last edited by Redbrickman; Sep 15, 2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Added info
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:27 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Wing bolt size

The wing fixing bolt is M4 x 20mm long.

To be fair, any model should should really have it, just not the size they told you!!
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie
Old Sep 15, 2010, 01:04 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Thanks for the info.

It's a standard size at least, so available in many stores.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:30 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Quote:
End of conversation and possibly the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Don't put the ripmax sticker on your model, lol..!!!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
Birmingham (UK)
Joined Sep 2010
342 Posts
Cowl modified to cool ESC

Here are some pics of my modified cowl to provide some cooling to the ESC.

The mod was simple - cut a rectangle out of the bottom of the cowl, turn it 90 deg and bend to shape so it fits over the hole I just made. Trim it for a snug fit and glue in place. Since it's rotated 90 deg, there is a gap in the cowl at the back. This gap was covered using a piece of sticker cut out from the wheel mounting base.
ulogix is offline Find More Posts by ulogix
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:28 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1spitfire View Post
Don't put the ripmax sticker on your model, lol..!!!
I am laid back about it now, one can't blame the whole company for one idiot's attitude

Still not sure if I want that big Wot4 sticker on the wing. I am considering some protective tape on the leading edge before applying anything else. That might help with my interesting landings!

Have any of you Wot4 foamie owners added protection to the LE?

I also like the air scoop mod, will be doing something similar.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:35 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
666 Posts
Ask ripmax to pay you for their advertisment of their company on YOUR plane
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,156 Posts
once built how easy is it to pack away again. as i don't have a lot of room
goldeneye007 is offline Find More Posts by goldeneye007