HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:33 PM
Staffordshire, England
Joined Feb 2005
337 Posts
I picked one up at the Nationals on Sunday (going for around 107) and spent Bank Holiday Monday morning putting it together. 30 mins assembly time is probably possible if you have everything to hand in the workshop. Test flight could of been in the afternoon but I waited for Tuesday evening after work when it was calm.

Fitting the fuz stickers means taking the cowl, UC and hatch latch off so it may be worth adding some of the stickers before starting the assembly.

Only fault I noticed was the tail wheel does not line up with the rudder and may need a tweak with the pliers even though I've flown it off concrete with no issues.

A 6110e RX will fit in the fuz diagonally leaving the aerials at right angles. I added a short servo extension to make connection to the aerial servos easier at the field.

The ESC is loose in the fuz when it arrives. I removed the cowl and taped the ESC in the square channel between the motor area and the battery bay at the bottom of the fuz (the position is critical so it doesn't hit the foam tongue of the hatch or get caught in the motor). The BEC lead can be neatly taped to the side of the battery bay leaving the area clear to slip a 2200mAh 3s lipo in with room for a small piece of packing and the foam hatch neatly keeps it from moving vertically.

3 test flights showed the model flies v. smooth in calm conditions needing a small amount of up trim (may play with C of G next). Vertical rolls are easy and the model cruises along very cleanly even when the throttle is reduced needing quite a bit of space to bleed the airspeed off to land even with a free wheeling prop. Spins are nice and sharp, inverted needs a chunk of down to be held in (probs to cancel my up trim). Semi knife edge passes with opposite aileron/rudder control looked good.

I started with more elevator/aileron throw than recommended and have already increased them on each flight. I guess it a matter of taste how touchy you like the response but I think I will try some more as the model still flies smoothly.

I know the balsa design has a huge following but its never been my kind of model. On the other hand this foam one seems brilliant, v. impressed and can't wait for the next outing. May post some video when my cameraman hands me the footage.
Gere Sport is offline Find More Posts by Gere Sport
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2010, 05:58 PM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Nice report, but for me straight and level will be the norm for a while with reduced throws

I am thinking the tail wheel problems are a packing issue, maybe they get bent in transit.

I will be inspecting mine tomorrow as it is destined to be delivered pm

I'l be shoe horning a AR 6200 into the fuselage
Redbrickman is offline Find More Posts by Redbrickman
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:49 AM
Staffordshire, England
Joined Feb 2005
337 Posts
Reckbrickman, you won't be disappointed with the smooth slippery flying style in the circuits. I had great fun shooting lots of touch and goes for the cameraman. On the other hand it will easily complete the manoeuvres in the BMFA B Certificate wish ease e.g. outside loops.

Could you post some photos of how you fit the 6200 RX as I will be tempted to swap my 61110e for one.

The construction style and the packaging makes me wonder if Multiplex is kitting the model for Ripmax or whether they are just copying a good standard.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 05:47 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Problem with the new Wot 4 foam-e

Hi guys, after giving this a great review the other day and recomending this to people. I have to take this back!!!

Ive had probably 25 + flights with this now and thought it was great and stable, which in fact it was, but, i was just performing an inverted flight at 50% power into an outward loop and the wing folded. Not impressed by any means. The front end is now creased and the motor mount bent where it hit the deck.

Phoned the model shop and they have asked me to bring it back down to them to send back to ripmax.

Just be careful with it as i think it may be a design fault and the small carbon spar through the middle just stopped it from snapping clean in two.

Will keep you in the loop (no pun intended)
Fuzz10 is offline Find More Posts by Fuzz10
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:22 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
That's bad news! I hope you get a replacement right away.

My model arrived this afternoon.

Initial thoughts are...

Packing could be better. The port wing tip at the rear (outside of the aileron) was badly creased like it had been bent over or dropped on the end.

The fuselage had a few dents and dings and the top of the wing at the leading edge had a score about 40 mm long.

The tail wheel and fuselage fit into a cardboard cut out at the bottom of the box. The tail gets put in first and I think that a rushed packing job could easly damage the wheel and linkage.

Nothing that can't be fixed but I can't help but think a bit better handling and packing would make all the difference.

The batttery compartment is much larger than I anticipated and I don't see any problem fitting the Ar6200 in the radio bay and the small receiver in the battery compartment. I am not sure what others have done with the ESC but my first thoughts are that it needs to be suspended so that both sides get exposed to the relatively small air duct.

It will be some time before she takes to the air. I am toying with painting the underside of the wing a dark blue to help orientation when she is flying at height.

Will be interesting to hear what Ripmax say about the wing. It does seem pretty strong, so maybe a poor glued spar or something else caused it to weaken.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Wot 4 problem

Should find out more tomorrow, took it back to model shop and they contacted one of the directors of ripmax in front of me.

As the model is so new they wanted to see what had happened to the plane themselves.

In my opinion the spar is too close to the lead edge and should be more to the middle.
Or, they should add another spar at the bottom of the wing.

Hopefully will get a replacement and ripmax see there was a fault. If they replace it I will add an additional spar myself!!!!

Will let everyone know the outcome from the guys at ripmax
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:52 AM
Staffordshire, England
Joined Feb 2005
337 Posts
Fuzz10, thank-you for the update.

Before the failure, did you try any snap/flick rolls with the Wot4? I was wondering if the tail mounting will stand up to such abuse or needs removing and so glue adding to reinforce it before trying.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:27 AM
Joined Feb 2010
4 Posts
Wot 4 problem sorted

Just heard back from the model shop after Ripmax investigated the problem with the broken wing on the foam-e.

Aparantly it was to do with the carbon spar being drilled off centre so one edge of the carbon spar was waffer thin while the other side was thick.

This is a one off as Ripmax have checked the rest of their stock and all seems to be well with the rest of the stock.

Looking forward to picking up my replacement later today.

Well done Ripmax for looking into this so quickly and for sorting so quickly.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:07 AM
Somerset, England
Joined Aug 2003
307 Posts
Very pleased to hear this, both that Ripmax were so prompt in investigating/agreeing replacement, and that it was a (hopefully) one off fault.

So had the carbon spar snapped at this weakspot - but the spar should actually be long enough to properly support the wing ? Can't really see on my wing where the spar stops ?

Re tail mounting query above, the mounting looks very solid to me, however the hor stab carbon spar is in a surface slot, and glue looks pretty mucky on mine, so will be interesting to see how that stands up to punishment.
jblackmore is offline Find More Posts by jblackmore
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:44 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Had a look at a friends yesterday. The wing seems mega-strong to me so I guess the faulty carbon spar seems likely. Its probably an extruded type and I have seen some very inconsistant ones of those before (same thing). We poked a needle into the wing to see how far it goes. On his, it seems to extend out to within about an inch from the servo hatch (about 50% of each wing). Can't see why it needs to go further than that, all the stress is at the wing root and the first third from the fuselage. Any longer and it becomes unneccessary weight!

Until the thin side gets into compression, all will be fine. Bad luck I reckon.

Had a look at the tail wheel mount that has been mentioned in a couple of posts. Looks reasonable to me. Not seen the packaging so can't comment on that being a possible cause.

Keep the posts coming!! Enquiring minds need to know.
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:21 AM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Will be interesting to hear if anyone has split the aileron cable and has the plane working on flaperons.

I'd like to stiffen up the wing trailing edge at the wing tips as mentioned in my post. Just wonder if a layer of epoxy glue or similar would be sufficient?

On the thin spar I am wondering just how they can check the stock. Can the spar be physically examined in situ?

UPDATE

I built mine up last night, just a rough assembly, and will be taking it apart again to finsih the underside of the wing dark blue.

Perhaps some of you guys that are already flying the model could comment on the fit of the rudder where it is clamped by the tiny screw through the plastic tailwheel assembly? Mine is a very poor fit.

The little screw is as tight as I dare make it without stripping the plastic thread, and yet the rudder can flap about inside it. I am thinking I will have to sleeve the plastic slot that the rudder fits into.

Other than that I am impressed by the solid feel of the model, it looks like a plane that has attitude
Last edited by Redbrickman; Sep 03, 2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:14 AM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Help - ESC wiring

I removed the ESC from the model to make it easier to change the Deans connector to an EC3.

Problem now is I have no idea which wire fits which connector on the motor as all the motor wires are the same colour

I am guessing the yellow connects to the middle motor wire and then I have a 50% chance of getting the motor rotation correct with the other two?

Hopefully someone will have the cowling off their Wot4 and be able to help.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:49 AM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrickman View Post
I removed the ESC from the model to make it easier to change the Deans connector to an EC3.

Problem now is I have no idea which wire fits which connector on the motor as all the motor wires are the same colour

I am guessing the yellow connects to the middle motor wire and then I have a 50% chance of getting the motor rotation correct with the other two?

Hopefully someone will have the cowling off their Wot4 and be able to help.
Just connect the wires, if the motor spins the wrong way just swap any two wires.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Sep 04, 2010, 02:05 PM
Wiltshire UK
Joined Apr 2010
431 Posts
Thanks. I have it sorted.

Still trying to find the best position for the ESC. At the moment I am going to fix it against the side of the fuselage with the heatsink facing out, hopefully getting enough airflow. I will also add some foam in the bay to stop the Lipo rattling about.

I was amazed at the power from the little motor, I think half power will be as much as I can handle at first

The underside of the fuselage has a large slot underneath the Tailplane. I wonder if Ripmax are planning a float kit like the MPX Fun Cub or what the slot is for?
Last edited by Redbrickman; Sep 05, 2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: more thoughts on design
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:41 AM
England
Joined Jul 2003
67 Posts
Slot in fuselage at tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrickman View Post
Thanks. I have it sorted.

Still trying to find the best position for the ESC. At the moment I am going to fix it against the side of the fuselage with the heatsink facing out, hopefully getting enough airflow. I will also add some foam in the bay to stop the Lipo rattling about.

I was amazed at the power from the little motor, I think half power will be as much as I can handle at first

The underside of the fuselage has a large slot underneath the Tailplane. I wonder if Ripmax are planning a float kit like the MPX Fun Cub or what the slot is for?
I asked Ripmax about the slot under the tail and it is for weight if you use a heavy battery. The slight recess at the surface is to put a cover over it...neat!
Tiffie is offline Find More Posts by Tiffie