Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
Data
Radian 2 meter glider

My new Radian 2 meter glider

Parkzone Radian 2 meter Segelfleigen maiden flight (6 min 26 sec)

Maiden flight in Essex, Vermont AMA http://www.greenmountainrc.org/ field. Good maiden flight, local pro helped me. Winds were 6+ gusting to 14+ mph. It was like trying to slope soar over a field, a tad too much wind... Beautiful day out, 63 deg.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Aug 02, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:14 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
My Radian wing magnet install

My Radian wing magnet install. I choose to use the magnets in the wings, due to the huge gap between the foam wings when pushed together tight. I couldn't believe it! This gap totally surprised me, because one never usually assembles the wings together outside of the fuselage. Hopefully my photos can help everyone contemplating this mod, I think that it is the best option as it holds the wings tight and also allows separation upon impact .

- Red fine tip permanent marker to locate holes.

- Soldering iron to melt and shape the holes - careful the foam disappears FAST!
(NOTE: make sure to test fit the wings together PRIOR to melting any holes, if you have a gap like I did, the magnet holes don't need to be as deep as the full magnet height. Measure five times, melt once.

- Aubuchon hardware supplied magnets, part #85793, 11/16 (0.6875", or 17.4625 mm) diameter button magnet at .85 each x 4 (they most likely are not rare earth cobalt magnets but seem to work well).

- I used 60 min epoxy which gave me ample time to get the magnets moved into position with the wings pushed tightly together.

Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
Swiss twist graphics for the Radian

Graphics and paint
Graphic paint design on my new Radian with a Swiss twist!
Krylon "Short Cuts" does say foam on the paint can and works with the Parkzone Radian foam.

Vinyl on this Radian styrofoam doesn't like to stick, but 3M clear packaging tape DOES stick well. Vinyl sticks to the 3M tape. I gave it a proper Swiss sailplane look.

- Wiped down foam with Isopropyl Alcohol
- Where I wanted graphics or typography I laid down clear 3M packaging tape first.
- Paint used is Krylon "Short Cuts" pepper red (ok with this foam, doesn't hurt it).
- Hand-cut matt black vinyl call letters.
- Hand-cut vinyl call letters under wing.
- All tail graphics are 3M tape / Red vinyl / 3m tape which added some tail weight. Good for the Radian if and when you upgrade to a larger LiPo.

Notes: What I found is that while the Krylon Short Cuts paint doesn't hurt the foam in any way, it goes on nice and leaves a good finish. However, it WILL peel off the foam quite easily in spots after it is dry. Even if you've prepped the foam. I found this out after masking the top part of the wing. Easy fix with some touch up, but I don't know how long this will last with repeated landings on Vermont grass.

- Isopropyl Alcohol works as prep, but there has to be a better paint that actually bonds with the foam and not eat into or melt it.