SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:31 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenz28 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I have been teaching myself with the help of these forums, HF's finless vids, and I have a sim, but don't spend as much time as I should on it. I spend more time re-building than anything else.
That's how I started too.

Quote:
I have a buying addiction with these helis! I haven't flown the Uflys yet, I just couldn't resist buying it from HobbyKing BNF for $113 including shipping!
So come out and maiden it with us.

Quote:
I've posted some vids on youtube. For a sample here's me throwing my Walkera around even after a blade strike and the second hovering my Gaui. Big differnce in flightstyle!
Nice vids. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
I'd love to start up with a group sometime, but, I'm just lazy I guess, or afraid of crashing in front of a bunch of people instead of just the wife!
That's up to you, of course. Just know you will always be welcome out there. It's a heli friendly club. It's also nice to see other guys fly. It will inspire you. Every guy out there has a different style.

Quote:
A buddy plug might be nice.
Not sure what you are referring to here.

Quote:
And that Gaui has a new flymentor on it.
Cool. Never tried anything like that. You are welcome to try out my training gear. I used them from Jun thru Oct of 2009. Provided the heli is upright, they'll absorb some of the force in a crash. I had several hard landings that would have been crashes had I not been using the training gear.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
STOLEN 9303 TX & MULTIPLE CHOPPERS

Hey Guys. I just got this message from the UTE message board. Please keep your eyes out for any of this gear!

---------------------------------

Hi all,

This is Jim with the Utah Helicopter Association,

Our club president, Nik Coffen, called me this morning with a gut wrenching story of walking into his garage to find that every bit of his RC helicopter gear, tools, radio, equipment, etc stolen!!! Nik was even helping build some other people's helicopters, which were taken as well. This made me personally sick to my stomach and we want to get the word out to as many modelers in the state as quickly as possible so they can be watching pawn shops, flying fields, hobby shops, local classifieds, etc. Nik has some stuff that is unique and we are hopeful that it can be found. Here is a partial list of things to look out for that he gave me this morning to pass on to all of you:

-A JR 9303 2.4GHz radio
-Two Miniature Aircraft Fury helicopters RTF, both with very unique paint schemes.
-Align Trex 700 kit, new in box - but with the clutch removed from the kit.
-Align Trex 500 helicopter RTF with a four bladed head
-E-Flite Blade 400 RTF helicopter
-Align Trex 450 Pro RTF helicopter
-Assorted tools, start gear, etc..... he said all of it was taken, down to the last wrench

Please keep your eyes peeled for this gear, and if you wouldn't mind passing this information along to your club memberships or any other group that you think would be able to help out, we would appreciate it. If you find any information, please call Nik right away at 8.0.1-7.8.7-2.9.0.7.
From the Utah County II thread.
jwjohnson is offline Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:15 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Jeff, thank you for the notice. We'll keep watch for any of his listed heli's.

I've flown with Nik once down in Lehi, he's a great asset to the hobby. Super helpful.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:27 AM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Had a GREAT time out at the SDM field today. Put 4 tanks through the Raptor, trying all sorts of new stunts. Rolls, flips, inverted nose in flight, inverted puch outs, and even a little backwards flight.

All stuff I've been practicing fairly regularly on the sim. Fun to put it into real flying.

Also flew the flybarless Swift NX, but I'm pretty sure it's going back to flybar. I'll transfer over the Skookum unit to the Raptor and see if I like it any better. With the NX there's just too much vibration when spooling down on the ground. It does fine if I bleed off head speed in the air doing an auto, but it wobbles then tips over if left on the ground.

Man I have drooled over the fb systems for years. It seems that the tech prices have finally come to the masses. Now I just need to get the 600 back out and slap some FPV gear on her. I'm afraid to fly now it has been too long.
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:34 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Yeah, it's finally come down in prices that an average guy can afford it. The BeastX is really looking good if the US distr. can get it out around the $200 point they are hoping for.

I'd love to see the FPV heli when/if you get it going. I have been loosely following all your FPV adventures in the AP thread.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:07 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,984 Posts
Hello people.....

I am going to finally sell my Dragonus heli. Its a heck of a nice setup w/ a 401 and hitec servos and align esc.

Is the 4 sale forum here on rc groups the best way to sell? Its a nice heli and I need the $ for other rc diversions I would actualy enjoy.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:27 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Jon, I have not tried to sell heli stuff here on RCG. I usually post it on HeliFreak or RunRyder, YMMV.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:29 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
The largest group of heli fliers out there use runryder.com. HeliFreak would be another choice. However, if this is a small heli you are probably better off on rcgroups and rcuniverse as they have a lot more people flying small helis on those sites. Regardless of site, everyone is looking for a deal. Be prepared to sell it for considerably less than what you payed for it.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:46 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Sdm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Don't know if it helps, but there are at least three that show up farely regularly at the Model Port on the weekends. There are at least 3 that show up regularly at SDM on the weekends.
What does SDM mean?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Nov 19, 2010, 06:16 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
AJ, SDM is the abbreviation for our club "South Davis Modeler's"

http://www.southdavismodelers.org/
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:23 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
I'm not really liking the CC Bec Pro I'm using on my Outrage. I think I will be trying a new product from Just-Heli. It's ridiculously expensive, but it's got some features I'd like to try. Links to products follow these pics.

jh20AProS910
jh20AProS911
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:11 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Looks like a nice setup, but what a price tag

What are you not liking about the CC BEC?

I'm running a 2S LiFe pack on both of my heli's along with a step down for the tail gyro.

This has been working flawlessly for me. I have one of the Align step downs linked above on my Raptor 50, and then one I made on the Swift. I would have bought another Align one but no one had them in stock and I was impatient
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:46 AM
Watch your 6
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Jul 2010
710 Posts
If you guys want me to post your flying locations, and times you regularly meet, I would be glad to update the thread "Maps to flying locations in Utah". If you could send me a google link, that would be good. Or just describe your flying location and I will try and create one.
I haven't gotten into Helis but I don't want to leave you guys out.
6Killer is offline Find More Posts by 6Killer
Old Nov 20, 2010, 01:19 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Looks like a nice setup, but what a price tag
Yeah. Suffice to say, if I like it in the Outrage, I won't be changing all my helis over to it immediately.

Quote:
What are you not liking about the CC BEC?
Let's see...

1. I would like a switch on it, so it doesn't immediately turn on the whole system when I plug in a battery.
2. I would like some indicator of battery voltage similar to those found on the Hobbywing CUBEC.
3. I've cut myself several times on the heat sink while disconnecting the main battery.
4. There's too much output wire, which makes it a little unwieldy on the Outrage.

But the primary reason is: I don't trust it. It had an advisory on it this last summer where, under certain conditions, it was frying entire systems. Even if I send it in for the fix, I'm still not sure I will trust it.

My favorite regulator is the Hobbywing/Turnigy 8A cubec. Cheap. Light. Easy. Has worked flawlessly for me for over 600 flights on the Logo and 242 flights on the 600e. Unfortunately, it won't fit easily on the Outrage.

Now if Castle were to produce a unit similar to the Just-Heli unit, and if it included logging on the cyclic servos and receiver, I'd buy that in a heart beat. Perhaps I should email them with a request to do just that.
Last edited by OICUFly12; Nov 20, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:51 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Well see what they say, it can't hurt.