HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:18 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Wow! That's exactly what I was hoping to see. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:44 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Everyone knows about the Finless Challenge #1 don't they?
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:57 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I remember you talking about it, but I forgot to go look. Thanks for the link, if we have some decent weather, we should try to shoot some video. Have you tried to perform the task yet?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Nov 07, 2010, 12:15 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Yeah, it's depressing. Both my left/right side-in and nose-in need work. Slow pyros are unsafe. I will not be attempting it for real for a while.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 08:09 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
For those of you who haven't already, checkout helifleet.com.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 04:51 AM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Hi, I'm Will and live in Ogden. I was bitten by the heli bug last year when I received an E-flite MCX.

So far all I can do with a CP heli is tail-in hover with turning left/right. I can fly it forward if I'm behind it, but that's about it.

It's funny that I can throw my Walkera 400d all over the backyard, but can't control the CP's enough to turn around! Maybe it's the cost of repair?

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and subscribe to the thread. I don't know how much flying there will be now that winter is showing his face.

Ciao

Will

I have spent soooo much money and can't fly for SH## but anyway here's my fleet in order of purchase, I think:
MCX
CX3
MSR
Blade 400 w/ DX6i
Gaui 550
Mini Titan 325
Walkera 400d
SRB Quark
Uflys
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:18 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum Will! My name is Jim and although winter is setting in, I will still fly occasionally. I think we've all felt the "pucker factor" when you're putting lots of dollars in the air. It's hard to stretch out and try something new knowing you might put it into the ground.

Do you have a simulator? I was so scared when I started with CP heli's that I flew the sim for 7 months before my first CP tail in hover. I started with a CX2, then did planes for a bit while building my first 450.

That's an impressive fleet! I've heard of the first 7 but the last 2 you'll have to fill in some details. I've owned the MCX and MSR, but don't currently have any indoor flyers.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 08:38 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
For those of you who haven't already, checkout helifleet.com.
nice find.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 02:57 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Hi Stenz28, that is an impressive fleet. I would very much like to see the Gaui sometime. Perhaps a time could be arranged for you to come out to SouthDavisModelers with us. Several heli fliers out there every weekend. Although, now that it's cold the numbers will dwindle a bit, you can count on me and Kenny being out there every good weather weekend.
Old Nov 09, 2010, 06:06 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I'd also like to see the Gaui 550. I just looked up the other 2 in your list, hadn't seen 'em before. How do you like the UFlys stabilization system?

This morning I finished my flybarless conversion on the Raptor 50 Titan. Wow that was quite an undertaking, figuring out where to mount the sensor. I hope to test it out sometime soon, weather permitting.

I still need to put the flybar head back on the Swift NX, and set that back up again. Hopefully I won't be switching it all back around again anytime soon.

I love the tinkering but I don't have room on my bench to set pitch on these 600mm main blades , so I have to bring it in the house and work in the kitchen, when it's not in use for more "important" things
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:34 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Wow! You got going on the move of the FBL from the Swift to the Raptor quickly. I sure hope it works better than when it was in the Swift. Will the FBL head you bought work on the Raptor?
Last edited by OICUFly12; Nov 10, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 08:38 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Wow! You got going on the move of the FBL from the Swift to the Raptor quickly. I sure hope it works better than when it was in the Swift. Will the FBL head you bought work on the Raptor?
Yeah, one of the reasons it happened so quickly is that they both have 10mm main shafts. I hate the tip overs, though after I'd already decided to make the move I read that if you feed in negative collective on spool down you can stop the shakes.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 05:40 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Well Skookum 720 + Raptor 50 =
Old Nov 11, 2010, 12:52 AM
Utah
Joined Sep 2009
499 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I have been teaching myself with the help of these forums, HF's finless vids, and I have a sim, but don't spend as much time as I should on it. I spend more time re-building than anything else.

I have a buying addiction with these helis! I haven't flown the Uflys yet, I just couldn't resist buying it from HobbyKing BNF for $113 including shipping!

I've posted some vids on youtube. For a sample here's me throwing my Walkera around even after a blade strike and the second hovering my Gaui. Big differnce in flightstyle!

walkera400d blade strike.mpg (3 min 14 sec)

gaui550_allgoodnow.mpg (1 min 39 sec)

I'd love to start up with a group sometime, but, I'm just lazy I guess, or afraid of crashing in front of a bunch of people instead of just the wife!

A buddy plug might be nice.

And that Gaui has a new flymentor on it.

Ciao,

Will
Stenz28 is offline Find More Posts by Stenz28
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:29 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenz28 View Post
Thanks for the welcome, guys! I have been teaching myself with the help of these forums, HF's finless vids, and I have a sim, but don't spend as much time as I should on it. I spend more time re-building than anything else.

I have a buying addiction with these helis! I haven't flown the Uflys yet, I just couldn't resist buying it from HobbyKing BNF for $113 including shipping!

I've posted some vids on youtube. For a sample here's me throwing my Walkera around even after a blade strike and the second hovering my Gaui. Big differnce in flightstyle!

I'd love to start up with a group sometime, but, I'm just lazy I guess, or afraid of crashing in front of a bunch of people instead of just the wife!

A buddy plug might be nice.

And that Gaui has a new flymentor on it.

Ciao,

Will
Will, Your flying looks good. You need a bigger space to fly that Gaui though. I don't feel comfortable doing anything but tail in hover on my bigger birds in my yard. I stopped flying the sim for quite a while, but I've started back up again. I try to get 20min in a day, but it ends up being every other day. It really helps to learn new moves. What sim do you have?