HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:25 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
Wow. That looks almost as bad as the crash when my T-Rex 500 had the anti-rotation pin on the swashplate back out in flight and pushed itself into the ground at maximum negative collective from about 30 feet before I figured out something was wrong.

Sad to see the crash! I'm having trouble justifying my heli habit in terms of my yearly RC budget of only $1200...
I know I've spent more than that in the last 6mos. Maybe I need to set a budget
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:30 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
The sat thingy is not released yet. You have one of the VERY FEW in the world. YOU THE MAN!!!! I dont know when they are being released. Does it work??? If so, what does it do?

ALSO........... What is a ready to fly Dragonus worth. HS65 servos and 401 gyro and Align esc, carbon blades, and a crash kit. Never crashed, in fact only in the air for 10 minutes total. Just wondering if its worth selling, or if I just get over my fear of crashing and fly the thing. I just dont enjoy the thought of helis. If other Ut County guys flew it would be a different story.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:43 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Man! I'm amazed! Fuel alone would eat up that budget. Add batteries and it's gone!
Three cases of fuel this year for my .50 ran me about $250 or so. There's a reason I'm not out buying a .90! I buy cheap Turnigy batteries and replace them every season or two for my 450, so that's about $100 a season, rolling through my stock until they don't have enough power to complete a five-minute flight in my heli anymore and I give them away to someone using them in a less-demanding application (where some are still going strong for them years later...). I used A123 M1 6S packs for my 500, which cost $5 a cell on eBay now, and I only needed one pack with a 7-minute zip charge off my car battery for 800 cycles or so before I turfed that bird in. Love the recharge and cycle life of M1 cells, they are totally unmatched by any LiPo yet, making the long-term cost of M1s much cheaper than any LiPo.

Then this year, I got into DLGs. Sold off a heli and some other stuff to afford them. Bought two DLGs, well used and abused, for $150 each, then another airframe for $150 to build over the winter (old discontinued model).

People wonder why I fly "old junk"... that's why. $1200 is my hobby budget. $168 a year goes to my three club memberships and AMA dues. I'll do contract work here and there and occasionally get an extra few hundred bucks to spend on my hobby if the family budget is doing OK.

Ultimately, that's a big reason for me getting into sailplanes. They tend to cost a lot less than helis over the long term. Think I'm going to stick with just my .50 and my 450 unless I find a screaming deal on a 500-sized airframe to put my old electronics into.
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Oct 13, 2010, 12:46 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
If other Ut County guys flew it would be a different story.
Dude, you have a TON of flyers in Utah County that fly helis every Saturday at the Lehi field across from the UVA field. During the warm months, you'll have 12-20 guys out there flying any given Saturday.

http://www.utahhelis.com/

The club's great, Nik really runs a tight ship, and the new field is pretty awesome. Dues are like $30 a year, $10 for a key fee for the new field, AMA required. The club has some great trainer setups you can use to get orientation down. They are like RotoPods on steroids, with a ball-bearing base so you can clamp down your skids and work on your flying orientations without worrying about tipping your heli over.

I wish there were more heli flyers in Salt Lake County.
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:00 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
The sat thingy is not released yet. You have one of the VERY FEW in the world. YOU THE MAN!!!! I dont know when they are being released. Does it work??? If so, what does it do?

ALSO........... What is a ready to fly Dragonus worth. HS65 servos and 401 gyro and Align esc, carbon blades, and a crash kit. Never crashed, in fact only in the air for 10 minutes total. Just wondering if its worth selling, or if I just get over my fear of crashing and fly the thing. I just dont enjoy the thought of helis. If other Ut County guys flew it would be a different story.
I haven't hooked up the sat yet, since I turfed the bird prior to getting the sat. I'll get it hooked up to the Skookum this weekend and see if it'll bind.

Seeing as a new kit for the Dragonis is only $30 right now, I'd say get over your fear of crashing. If you were to sell it, it'd be tough to get $200 out of it.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:02 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
I wish there were more heli flyers in Salt Lake County.
Don't know if it helps, but there are at least three that show up farely regularly at the Model Port on the weekends. There are at least 3 that show up regularly at SDM on the weekends.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:24 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Here's a video from a couple weeks ago of Phil's Knight 600 E.

Compass Knight 600 E on 10S (2 min 7 sec)
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:39 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Jon, I tried the Assan satellite, and it doesn't map the channels like the Spektrum receivers. To be fair I didn't spend a lot of time figuring out if I could make it work.

The instructions state something about it working with the Mikado V-bar unit, but I'm using the Skookum. Is there someone you're in contact with there to provide feedback?

Humpty Dumpty is back together again, sporting a stretched look

I have put the Swift 620 tail boom/belt/pushrod on. This gives me the ability to swing the 600mm EDGE flybarless blades as well. The mounting plate and tape finally came in from Skookum, and she's ready for a test flight. I'm not going to do it here though . After the last incident, I want plenty of open space.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:02 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Oooo... Edge Blades. Cool.

Yes, that last incident was pretty scary.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:22 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Had a GREAT time out at the SDM field today. Put 4 tanks through the Raptor, trying all sorts of new stunts. Rolls, flips, inverted nose in flight, inverted puch outs, and even a little backwards flight.

All stuff I've been practicing fairly regularly on the sim. Fun to put it into real flying.

Also flew the flybarless Swift NX, but I'm pretty sure it's going back to flybar. I'll transfer over the Skookum unit to the Raptor and see if I like it any better. With the NX there's just too much vibration when spooling down on the ground. It does fine if I bleed off head speed in the air doing an auto, but it wobbles then tips over if left on the ground.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 10:13 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Thanks for posting those photo's! Hopefully you got some decent action shots out of the many that I snapped. I am sure most were not any good, had a hard time focusing zoomed in.

Sorry to hear about Jim Y.'s crash.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:19 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
I've already deleted about 100 blurry shots. Nearly all of them were when the main blade disc is facing the camera. There are also shots that, while not blurry, are a little fuzzy. Haven't worked my way thru all those yet. The main problem, for me, is the heli is still a little small in most of the action shots. I hope your brother-in-law's shots are better. If not, maybe we should arrange a time with Cliff.

Crashed the Logo today doing a backward flip. Forgot to add negative collective, then added negative collective when it was already upright and low. Drove it right into the ground. Frames shattered, tail all bent up, battery thrown right out of its plastic covering (it's toaste). Amazingly, the landing struts, most of the head and main blades survived. Got 117 flights before the crash, so I don't particularly feel bad. Have most, if not all, of the parts to rebuild, but the plan has been to purchase some 6S nano techs for the Logo and put the current batteries in the Outrage. Perfect time to bring up the Outrage, move the batteries over and bring the Logo up later when the nanos arrive.
Last edited by OICUFly12; Nov 06, 2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:20 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Man the Logo looked sweet the last few times. Sorry to hear about it going in. Sounds like you have a plan though, and a good one at that. The Outrage is a sweet machine too.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:59 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Here's a couple of teaser shots from a Facebook posting, I'll get the rest of them today hopefully.