Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:20 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
This looks nice.

http://www.afineredgemfg.com/
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Last edited by OICUFly12; Sep 10, 2010 at 06:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:59 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
For those of you with a 450 or 500 sized heli, HeliDirect is having the following promotion for Stealth blades.

http://www.helidirect.com/advanced_s...alth&x=13&y=10

--
oicufly12
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:03 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Nice couple of links there Phil. How are the repairs going?
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:13 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
It's coming along pretty well now.

Compass Knight 600e: Except for main blades, work is complete. I am going to re-maiden it this evening.

Logo 500: All necessary parts have been ordered. Will be running again next week.

Outrage 550: Initial order to be placed Sunday evening. Probably will need another order, so I expect I'll have it running again sometime between 09/21 and 09/25.

Compass Knight 50 3D: I will be paying the seller next week. Hope to have it the week after, but won't be flying it until sometime in October.

It's going to be so nice to be flying again.
--
oicufly12
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:52 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I stopped in at the field today, thinking you might have been out there. There were quite a few guys out there along with Jim Young.

Good Luck on the maiden.

I'm still trying to narrow down issues on the NX.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:41 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
It sucks when you have a heli that ain't workin' properly. Hope you resolve it soon.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:52 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I went down to Lehi yesterday to fly with the Utah Heli guys hoping to get some pointers on flying. I put up the Raptor first and when I brought it down Nik and John came over and started looking over my setup. John quickly saw some issues and we spent the next hour tweaking the setup. It was great to get that help and support.

Here's a few photo's from yesterday.

The NX didn't get much stick time but it does seem to be handling better.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Nice pics. So what got tweeked?

Wrecked the 600e yesterday. The horse and deer flies were terrible out there. So bad, you needed a someone with a flyswatter with you to shoo off the flies. I don't recommend flying out there alone right now. Anyway, that's what happened. A fly landed on my left arm on takeoff, I over reacted and hit TH. No problem, I can handle an auto and was doing just fine, but the heli was moving forward and it hit the fence on the other side of the runway. Damage is not bad. Blades appear to have survived, so I don't have that expense. I have all the parts except for a tail blade grip which I'll need to order. Should be up and running again by Thursday or Friday. I'd be bummed, except for i know I'll have the Logo running on Tuesday.
--
oicufly12
Last edited by OICUFly12; Sep 12, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Nik and John are two of the most helpful folks I know and really helped me get my Pantera 50 dialed in. I just have trouble getting down there on Saturday mornings. Too many other things going on!
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:06 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Nice pics. So what got tweeked?

Wrecked the 600e yesterday. The horse and deer flies were terrible out there. So bad, you needed a someone with a flyswatter with you to shoo off the flies. I don't recommend flying out there alone right now. Anyway, that's what happened. A fly landed on my left arm on takeoff, I over reacted and hit TH. No problem, I can handle an auto and was doing just fine, but the heli was moving forward and it hit the fence on the other side of the runway. Damage is not bad. Blades appear to have survived, so I don't have that expense. I have all the parts except for a tail blade grip which I'll need to order. Should be up and running again by Thursday or Friday. I'd be bummed, except for i know I'll have the Logo running on Tuesday.
--
oicufly12
Sorry to hear about the 600. I had some bugs on my down south as well and had to cut a flight short.

John looked at my radio setup and once he stopped shaking his head and chuckling, he changed a bunch of stuff on my throttle and pitch curves for normal mode. He also made mechanical changes so my v curve actually works, since the throttle servo was binding. I had too much pitch at full stick so it was bogging the engine. I still haven't looked at the radio to see what all he did.

I've been pretty hesitant to make any real changes to the Rappy, since I just copied the settings from the guy I bought it from. It was flying fine for when I was learning hovering and forward flight. Now that I'm doing more with it, it's time to make changes.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:51 AM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Once I got my throttle linkage geometry and max/min pitch sorted out on my Pantera, the difference in power when doing maneuvers was night and day! My setup is now about +10/-10 pitch, +7/-7 cyclic. If I were running smaller blades or a bigger motor (at this altitude) I could do more pitch, but it's not to be with just an OS 50 Hyper on 30% at 4200 feet running 600mm blades!
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:02 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Here are the siblings in matching vinyl...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:31 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Anyone interested in a 450? Cheap!!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:19 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
You don't want yours anymore?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I think it's time to part ways with it.

I put in a new ESC last night and in the course of an hour I bent two feathering shafts, broke a set of blades, and burnt up my tail servo.

1st feathering shaft due to the battery falling off in a quick test hop, dropped from 10' up

2nd feathering shaft, and blades were caused by a burnt up tail servo. The ESC is putting out 9.77V I didn't check the voltage being put out by the BEC circuitry.

It's an $18 ESC from HK and even the super soft start is no where near soft enough for my liking.