HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:30 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Starter mod

I made changes to my starter, so that I won't have to lug around the big 12V battery. This can also go out to the flight line with me, so I don't have to worry about it dying on the trip out from the pits.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:31 PM
Jeremy D Stott
Ogden, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
4,822 Posts
I did the same thing to mine, but I used a 4 Cell. Are yours 4s?
flyingj is offline Find More Posts by flyingj
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:26 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
I did the same thing to mine, but I used a 4 Cell. Are yours 4s?
It's 2 x 2S in series to make a 4S 5000mAh. They are the batteries from my ritewing
Old Aug 31, 2010, 11:17 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Went out flying with Phil the other day, and put the Swift up after rebuilding it. Had some issues with the tail making some weird racket in banked turns.

I took it apart and tightened the tail belt (it was loose enough to slip a tooth). I also redid the gyro mount and radio placement. It's still doing it. I'm starting to think that the carbon tail rod is resonating at just the right frequency to cause an issue. I'm going to put the stock setup back on once I get some new ball links.

The Raptor flew great though. I did have to richen up the mixture 8 clicks with that new fuel from Greg. I put some lighter paddles on it and I got it to roll on the up line of a stall turn. Yeah it was ugly but it did it.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 10:44 AM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
I took it apart and tightened the tail belt (it was loose enough to slip a tooth). I also redid the gyro mount and radio placement. It's still doing it. I'm starting to think that the carbon tail rod is resonating at just the right frequency to cause an issue. I'm going to put the stock setup back on once I get some new ball links.
That kind of resonating will cause the tail servo to work harder. Is it hot after a flight? You might be able to change the resonating frequency by adding more rod guides.

Just saw your post of helifreak. Yeah. You need to add some rod guides.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Last edited by OICUFly12; Sep 01, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 11:17 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I don't know if they make any rod guides that would work for my carbon rod. I'm going to have to look around and see. I know they make carbon tail rod kits for bigger heli's.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 12:41 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
In the Swift world, the best I could find was this item. Outside of the Swift world, you could also try this item. Both the Swift and the Logo 500 have a 20mm tail boom. I also looked at the Gaui Hurricane 550 and the Outrage 550, but they both have a metal control rod and the Outrage has a 21mm boom.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 01:37 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Thanks for those links! I've put the stock guide rod back on, just waiting on some ball links now. If that solves the issue, I might order the carbon pushrod kit.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 05:44 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
New stickers...

I put some graphics on my Raptor last night, and took a few shots today. It was acting up though so no real flight experience with them on.

Thanks Phil for taking some photos and video, even if it didn't run so well today.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 08:22 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
It's an Outrage!

Sure Jim. I'll try and post my pictures later this evening.

Crashed my Outrage 550 after you left. Earlier in the day I had adjusted the gyro sense down a bit in an attempt to take care of a small tail wag. Everything seemed to be ok. On the fourth flight, in one of my turns the tail suddenly shot to the left. I handled that ok, but during the setup for a loop the tail just started slowly moving to the right. I tried to keep up with it. I tried to compensate with left rudder. It didn't matter, the tail just kept going. Pretty soon I couldn't keep up with it and got confused. When the heli got on its side, I hit throttle hold. Down she went. Damage is not too bad, but I will need to order a few things.

I think that's it for me and Align gyros. I've seen other posts reporting this kind of problem with the GP780, so I'm not really surprised. I've been crossing my fingers ever since I started flying it. Gonna get a GY520 to replace it. It has been very solid on my 600e and I'm quite happy it. Both Jim Young and Kenny have used it and are very happy with it.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:07 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Sure Jim. I'll try and post my pictures later this evening.

Crashed my Outrage 550 after you left. Earlier in the day I had adjusted the gyro sense down a bit in an attempt to take care of a small tail wag. Everything seemed to be ok. On the fourth flight, in one of my turns the tail suddenly shot to the left. I handled that ok, but during the setup for a loop the tail just started slowly moving to the right. I tried to keep up with it. I tried to compensate with left rudder. It didn't matter, the tail just kept going. Pretty soon I couldn't keep up with it and got confused. When the heli got on its side, I hit throttle hold. Down she went. Damage is not too bad, but I will need to order a few things.

I think that's it for me and Align gyros. I've seen other posts reporting this kind of problem with the GP780, so I'm not really surprised. I've been crossing my fingers ever since I started flying it. Gonna get a GY520 to replace it. It has been very solid on my 600e and I'm quite happy it. Both Jim Young and Kenny have used it and are very happy with it.
Sorry to hear about the crash, even worse I could have caught it on tape . If you want to try an Inertia 860 gyro, I have on sitting in a box right now. It is a decent gyro just not as tiny as the Quark or gy520. You could run it till you get your 520.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:18 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Sorry to hear about the crash, even worse I could have caught it on tape . If you want to try an Inertia 860 gyro, I have on sitting in a box right now. It is a decent gyro just not as tiny as the Quark or gy520. You could run it till you get your 520.
I might take you up on that offer. I won't be getting the GY520 probably 'til next month anyway.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:53 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Some additional photos of Jim's Raptor.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:59 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Nice sequence there, thanks for posting. Had a great time out there today.