HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Well, I started a thread on HeliFreak to get info on the Compass 3D+. Two guys offered up their Compass Knight 50 3D. I've now made a deal with one of them, so I should be getting it some time in early September. Probably won't get it flying until October or November.

BTW, if anyone is interested, the other guy's heli is here. Only the mechanics are available.

Gonna be fun.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:13 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Dang. My T-Rex 450 one-way bearing froze today, meaning my motor is lock-stepped to my rotor at the moment. I have an old one-way back at home, but it's been ages since I pressed one out to replace it. It had been squeaking badly for a couple of weeks on spool-down, but I ignored it. Still flew well today!

Good flying with Jim, Randy, et al out at the 1700 south park in Salt Lake today. We need to do that more often!
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 03:39 PM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Well, I started a thread on HeliFreak to get info on the Compass 3D+. Two guys offered up their Compass Knight 50 3D. I've now made a deal with one of them, so I should be getting it some time in early September. Probably won't get it flying until October or November.

BTW, if anyone is interested, the other guy's heli is here. Only the mechanics are available.

Gonna be fun.
Excellent! So you ready to split a case of fuel? j/k

I look forward to burning through some fuel with you. Also if you're going to get a glow driver, get the LiPo one by Dynamite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
Dang. My T-Rex 450 one-way bearing froze today, meaning my motor is lock-stepped to my rotor at the moment. I have an old one-way back at home, but it's been ages since I pressed one out to replace it. It had been squeaking badly for a couple of weeks on spool-down, but I ignored it. Still flew well today!

Good flying with Jim, Randy, et al out at the 1700 south park in Salt Lake today. We need to do that more often!
Nice visiting with you, unfortunately none of the stuff I brought was flyable. Thanks for all the info. Looking forward to some more lunch time sessions.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:31 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Excellent! So you ready to split a case of fuel? j/k
I've been thinking about that. I wonder if some of the clubs do a spring time mass fuel buy. Some of the guys on HeliFreak are saying they can get their fuel for $20 a gallon thru a buy like that. I'm going to look into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
I look forward to burning through some fuel with you. Also if you're going to get a glow driver, get the LiPo one by Dynamite.
Mercurial is reviewing another one of those things here. What other equipment do you think I'll need? I need to start making a list, so I can plan my budget.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:23 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
The LiPo glow driver is cool, but I'd still prefer a Switchglow Think I'll save my dough until I can afford to put a PushGlow or SwitchGlow on my nitros...
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:11 PM
What was I looking for??
Big Weed's Avatar
Harrisville Utah
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
Good Idea JIM, some of us need all the push we can get. some day I might get the
R-Rex flying so I,m Hanging in there. Never to give up.
Big Weed is offline Find More Posts by Big Weed
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 11:51 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Big Weed, what's left to do on your TRex 500?
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Last edited by OICUFly12; Aug 27, 2010 at 01:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:26 AM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
I've been thinking about that. I wonder if some of the clubs do a spring time mass fuel buy. Some of the guys on HeliFreak are saying they can get their fuel for $20 a gallon thru a buy like that. I'm going to look into it.
I asked redgiki about fuel yesterday and it sounds like we can get it through the utah-heli guys at a good price. Have to buy it by the case though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Mercurial is reviewing another one of those things here. What other equipment do you think I'll need? I need to start making a list, so I can plan my budget.
Yep, I saw that one but couldn't afford it at the time. The one I posted has only been on the market for a month or so, and it's marketed at the car guys.

Other equipment you will need is a starter, with the starting wand for a heli. A fuel pump (manual or electric) is another necessity. There are many options out there, even some kits/flight boxes that include all the necessary pieces. A power source for your starter is also necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
The LiPo glow driver is cool, but I'd still prefer a Switchglow Think I'll save my dough until I can afford to put a PushGlow or SwitchGlow on my nitros...
Those are both great options as well, but you need one for each model. If you have only one nitro, then it's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Weed View Post
Good Idea JIM, some of us need all the push we can get. some day I might get the
R-Rex flying so I,m Hanging in there. Never to give up.
Welcome Greg! I don't think it would take very long to get that 500 in the air...
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:06 PM
Fly Cheap. Fly Hard. Fly Daily
USA, UT, Riverton
Joined Aug 2005
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
I asked redgiki about fuel yesterday and it sounds like we can get it through the utah-heli guys at a good price. Have to buy it by the case though.
Not entirely certain on having to buy it by the case. Contact Nik with the Utah Heli Association for fuel pricing. I think club members get a bigger break, and I KNOW buying by the case you get a bigger break.

I don't want to discuss the distribution channel or specific prices online. Suffice to say we can get CoolPower 30% heli fuel at very reasonable prices. As I mentioned at the park yesterday, CoolPower & Morgan Fuels (Rotor Rage) get my nod for not being too picky with the needle settings so you're less likely to destroy your engine tuning for peak power.
redgiki is offline Find More Posts by redgiki
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:51 PM
What was I looking for??
Big Weed's Avatar
Harrisville Utah
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Big Weed, what's left to do on your TRex 500?
I'm Just being lazy, I need to get with John from the now x destination hobby.
He said he would help me with all the final setup with my DX-7 that stuff messes with my head, and getting older doesent help either
Big Weed is offline Find More Posts by Big Weed
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 02:02 PM
What was I looking for??
Big Weed's Avatar
Harrisville Utah
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
I have a 1.25 Gal of Heli plus 30% Magnum fuel that I won at the raffle while attending the Heli gathering down at Saratoga air field a while back.
if anyone is interested in giving me a fair price for it let me know.
Big Weed is offline Find More Posts by Big Weed
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,210 Posts
I'll give you a call, when work allows. I'll take it from ya.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:46 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
I asked redgiki about fuel yesterday and it sounds like we can get it through the utah-heli guys at a good price. Have to buy it by the case though.
That's fine. Probably look into getting a case in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Other equipment you will need is a starter, with the starting wand for a heli. A fuel pump (manual or electric) is another necessity. There are many options out there, even some kits/flight boxes that include all the necessary pieces. A power source for your starter is also necessary.
I think I already have the flight box, starter and fuel pump, so that leaves the wand and glow plug thingy. Anything else?
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:53 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Weed View Post
I'm Just being lazy, I need to get with John from the now x destination hobby.
He said he would help me with all the final setup with my DX-7 that stuff messes with my head, and getting older doesent help either
Well, if you someday you feel the need to get it done and John is hard to meet up with, both Jim and I have setup several helis. We would be happy to help out. I've never done a DX-7 setup, but it won't take long for me to figure things out.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:00 PM
What was I looking for??
Big Weed's Avatar
Harrisville Utah
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Well, if you someday you feel the need to get it done and John is hard to meet up with, both Jim and I have setup several helis. We would be happy to help out. I've never done a DX-7 setup, but it won't take long for me to figure things out.
Hey thanks, I'll see how things work out.
Thanks for the offer, its great to have such good friends.
Big Weed is offline Find More Posts by Big Weed
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Copterx new rotor heads x 2 PHIL.H Scale Helicopters 4 Feb 26, 2010 10:24 AM
Sold HUGHES 500 fuse, BeltCP, scale rotor heads, parts darmar Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Nov 23, 2009 08:51 PM
Video Bad rotor heads right out of box (CB100 & CB180 from www.ehirobo.com) altronpower Electric Heli Talk 2 Nov 11, 2009 07:25 AM
Discussion Bad rotor heads right out of box (CB100 & CB180 from www.ehirobo.com) altronpower Micro Helis 9 Nov 10, 2009 03:54 PM
Are real heli rotor heads similar to model heli rotor heads? smste2 Micro Helis 6 Jul 11, 2004 01:15 PM