Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 14, 2011, 09:11 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
I listened to some of it, but I had to quit when they got to the guest. I'll try and listen to the rest soon.
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:51 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Greetings fellow Rotor heads! I'm just getting into all of this, and just made the switch from Coaxial to CP. Anyone in the SLC area that flies CP and wouldn't mind meeting up to give a serious newb some help?
Team6 is offline Find More Posts by Team6
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:59 AM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Welcome Team6! I live in Davis County but work near down town SLC, I'd be happy to try and coordinate a time with you. What's your schedule like? I'm able to get away for an hour or two during the work day if that's of any help.

As you can see there are not a lot of us using this forum, I'm sure there are many others flying near you, just harder to find.

-Jim
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:55 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
I work downtown SLC. I'm off work at 4:30. You planning to hit the Uncivil deal down in orem in the near future?
Team6 is offline Find More Posts by Team6
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
I usually never miss the UnCivil War. It's too early to tell right now though.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Are you aware of a place that we could fly heli's downtown? I work across from the Governors mansion...but I'm sure there's gotta be a park or something around.
Team6 is offline Find More Posts by Team6
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:50 PM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
What size CP heli did you get? We sometimes fly at 17th south across the street from Raging Waters. It's nice and open. I've also flown at a ball field up by the Capitol.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 04:49 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
I got a Blade SR. So from what I'm understanding...it's a 6 channel 250 size? I'm not entirely sure. Seems like blade really doesn't advertise like a lot of the others do with the size ratings.
Team6 is offline Find More Posts by Team6
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:05 PM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Yep, blade does things a lil' different. A ball field should be big enough an area to fly in. Have you flown any simulators? If the weathers decent on Wednesday we could try to meet up, other than that my week is shot due to a business trip.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjunky View Post
Yep, blade does things a lil' different. A ball field should be big enough an area to fly in. Have you flown any simulators? If the weathers decent on Wednesday we could try to meet up, other than that my week is shot due to a business trip.
Nope. I asked elsewhere about SIM's but didn't get feedback as to which to look at or invest in. I see them from $20-$200...haven't a clue wth I'm getting myself into with them. But I do see them suggested all over the interwebz.
Team6 is offline Find More Posts by Team6
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:20 PM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
I use Phoenix, cause at the time I liked the price tag better than Real Flight and I could use my own transmitter. The physics for helis in Phoenix is great, which I've heard from several people. By far the most popular SIM is Real Flight. Some of the less expensive ones are a little more complicated to setup.

I highly recommend a simulator, to anyone.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Yeah, I saw offers from someone about teaching phoenix. Did a google search...it's nearly as much as the the SR. I was kinda shocked.
Team6 is offline Find More Posts by Team6
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:57 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
Heh. Everything in RC helis is expensive.

+1 to the sim. Best thing to get for rc helis. Really helps move your skills forward. I have Real Flight plus 1-6 expansion packs and the free downloads. Works great for me. I think Pheonix looks better though. Would like to get it someday, but I prefer spending on helis rather than software at this point.

Another thing to look into is a club. Clubs are a great resource for knowledge and experience in all things related to RC. I highly recommend it. Fishjunky and I belong to South Davis Modelers (SDM). You're welcome to join us there, but I'll bet there are other clubs in the SLC area that are closer to you. Look around a bit. To join a club you will need to join AMA as well. A good thing to get as they provide insurance for those unfortunate times when things go wrong and your heli damages property or more importantly people. At SDM you are allowed to fly there up to 4 times a year without joining the club, provided you have AMA. That gives you a chance to meet the people and fly at the field before committing to join. Most other clubs have the same offer.

Anyway, something to consider.

Fishjunky: How was Saint George?
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Heh. Everything in RC helis is expensive.

+1 to the sim. Best thing to get for rc helis. Really helps move your skills forward. I have Real Flight plus 1-6 expansion packs and the free downloads. Works great for me. I think Pheonix looks better though. Would like to get it someday, but I prefer spending on helis rather than software at this point.

Another thing to look into is a club. Clubs are a great resource for knowledge and experience in all things related to RC. I highly recommend it. Fishjunky and I belong to South Davis Modelers (SDM). You're welcome to join us there, but I'll bet there are other clubs in the SLC area that are closer to you. Look around a bit. To join a club you will need to join AMA as well. A good thing to get as they provide insurance for those unfortunate times when things go wrong and your heli damages property or more importantly people. At SDM you are allowed to fly there up to 4 times a year without joining the club, provided you have AMA. That gives you a chance to meet the people and fly at the field before committing to join. Most other clubs have the same offer.

Anyway, something to consider.

Fishjunky: How was Saint George?
lol see...even more money. Lordy Lordy! My $19 repair turned into $50 after we discovered my tail was bent and there were cracks in some other hardware. My roomie and I spent 4 hours last night trying to get the bearings and stuff from the head gear moved over. Still aren't done. Having a hell of a time getting the bearings into the new parts. Any suggestions on safely seating those bearings in the headgear?
Team6 is offline Find More Posts by Team6
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:06 AM
Got Thermals???
Fishjunky's Avatar
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICUFly12 View Post
Fishjunky: How was Saint George?
Friday was perfect! Beautiful weather, but I didn't pull out the heli's until most everyone had left late in the afternoon. I flew the Swift with the 2 packs that I have, before they wanted to close up the field for the night.

Saturday was drizzly and breezy in the morning, but I went back to the field anyway. Discovered that I left a screw out of the elevator control on the Raptor during the rebuild so still no maiden with the Beast X , at least I wasn't in the air when I discovered that . Flew both packs in the Swift again, the 3300 is definitely on it's way out 2:30 is all I can get out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team6 View Post
lol see...even more money. Lordy Lordy! My $19 repair turned into $50 after we discovered my tail was bent and there were cracks in some other hardware. My roomie and I spent 4 hours last night trying to get the bearings and stuff from the head gear moved over. Still aren't done. Having a hell of a time getting the bearings into the new parts. Any suggestions on safely seating those bearings in the headgear?
Is the bearing issue on the Blade SR? If it's plastic parts, check for flashing (extra bits of plastic from the molds) that's getting in the way. If there's a way to press it in using a countertop or something where you can put even pressure across the whole bearing. I'd have to look at some pictures or the manual to see what you're up against.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Copterx new rotor heads x 2 PHIL.H Scale Helicopters 4 Feb 26, 2010 10:24 AM
Sold HUGHES 500 fuse, BeltCP, scale rotor heads, parts darmar Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 4 Nov 23, 2009 08:51 PM
Video Bad rotor heads right out of box (CB100 & CB180 from www.ehirobo.com) altronpower Electric Heli Talk 2 Nov 11, 2009 07:25 AM
Discussion Bad rotor heads right out of box (CB100 & CB180 from www.ehirobo.com) altronpower Micro Helis 9 Nov 10, 2009 03:54 PM
Are real heli rotor heads similar to model heli rotor heads? smste2 Micro Helis 6 Jul 11, 2004 01:15 PM