HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Discussion
Hobby-lobby Variable Pitch Prop?

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_2_b...32893_prd1.htm

Has anyone tried these? I did a little searching and didn't find anything... Anyway, the props look NICE... how well do they work? I'm typicaly a function over looks kinda a guy... if these props give even decent performance I'd be all for giving up some power and adding them too some of my scale planes
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:50 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
Lots of stuff on the 3 and 4 blade versions with the Windrider SBD (3 blade) and HL P47 (comes with 4 blade stock). Best looking props on the market, bar none. Stock pitch is 10" and changing it is work. The prop gauge is pretty much by-guess-and-by-God and the props tend to be amp hogs. As far as I can tell performance is excellent, and I'm happy to pay a small performance price for the terrific looks. My $0.02.

Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Lots of stuff on the 3 and 4 blade versions with the Windrider SBD (3 blade) and HL P47 (comes with 4 blade stock). Best looking props on the market, bar none. Stock pitch is 10" and changing it is work. The prop gauge is pretty much by-guess-and-by-God and the props tend to be amp hogs. As far as I can tell performance is excellent, and I'm happy to pay a small performance price for the terrific looks. My $0.02.

Jeff
Interesting. I would have thought they that would be molded with some type of ribs for indexing, like a servo output shaft and horn.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Aug 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,236 Posts
The price is right, and so is the size for my long-delayed Douglas Dolphin. Guess I'll send Hobby Lobby some money!
GeoffinIN is online now Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
Nah, the hubs are standard and the blades come in different sizes. There is a large lug on the blade root that locks the blade in the stock pitch. The lug has to be sawn off, then a rather cumbersome laser-cut pitch gauge attached to each blade in turn. When you are happy with the setting, you lock it in with a screw. Poor man's Varioprop.

But the blade shape is scale, the tips are pre-painted yellow and there is a cool set of decals that really make the blades pop. You need to seal them with a clear coat though.

Jeff
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Stock pitch is 10" and changing it is work. The prop gauge is pretty much by-guess-and-by-God and the props tend to be amp hogs. As far as I can tell performance is excellent, and I'm happy to pay a small performance price for the terrific looks. My $0.02.
Jeff, thanks for the info! I figured when HL said a "tab" needed to be removed to change pitch it was a simple splined end that could be rotated to the desired pitch and then checked with the pitch gauge... it does not sound that simple from you're post

How much more do they pull amps wise? I can stand a small increase on my Park 450... I'd be swinging the 2 blade prop on it though... at probably 8 pitch. The 4 blade would go on a yet built P-47 that will have a 450W motor on it... I won't NEED near that much so I can afford to give up some power and pull a few extra Amps... depending on how MUCH were talking
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:50 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
shultz, I haven't used the 2 blade. I have the most experience with the 3 blade on my SBD. A lot depends on your motor kV. With a HobbyPartz Power 10 (1100 kV), stock pitch took it up to nearly 50 amps. When I tried the Power15 at 920 kV things dropped into the high 30's which is manageable. Don't know what your Park 450 is, but on 3S you would want something under 1000 kV.

Jeff
Old Aug 25, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
shultz, I haven't used the 2 blade. I have the most experience with the 3 blade on my SBD. A lot depends on your motor kV. With a HobbyPartz Power 10 (1100 kV), stock pitch took it up to nearly 50 amps. When I tried the Power15 at 920 kV things dropped into the high 30's which is manageable. Don't know what your Park 450 is, but on 3S you would want something under 1000 kV.

Jeff
WOW! amp hog is an under statement Both motors are just over 1000Kv... the 450 is only speced for 16A though. Looks like I will have to play with pitch afterall... I'm still going too try...it's only money
Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:30 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
WOW! amp hog is an under statement Both motors are just over 1000Kv... the 450 is only speced for 16A though. Looks like I will have to play with pitch afterall... I'm still going too try...it's only money
LOL. I think I will have to get a second mortgage to pay off HL. I've run through a few of those props doing impact testing. I mentioned the amp draw b/c I have burned out a motor or 2 not realizing just how much current they pulled. The trouble with dialing down the pitch is that you then lose top end. Gets you into the air quickly but then you stagger around the circuit on the edge of a stall. Everything is a trade-off, I'm afraid. I still think they are great value for money. I wish they made some bigger ones for my larger birds. Jeff
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:26 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
i'm with you Jeff, some larger dia jobbies would be fantastic.

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:27 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,236 Posts
My two sets arrived today. How many non-show planes have chrome hubs? Not many, I'll wager. Sawing the lug off and drilling the crosswise hole out does NOT look like a safe thing to do. I'll just paint the hubs and use them for display. I'll fly with APCs

Geoff
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
Geoff, what do you have to drill? The prop blades have an oval hole that lets them rotate in the hub once you saw the lug off. When you are happy with the setting you just tighten down the screw (you do that anyway when you assemble the hub) to keep the blade from rotating. In my experience, the blades are very tough. Never had one fail in flight, even as I gradually shorten them by stubbing the prop tips on t/o. Got enough blade flex to absorb gear up landings. I have only broken the hubs on impact.

Like I said, except for the clumsiness of setting the pitch, and their capacity to suck amps, they are delightful props.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:33 AM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,236 Posts
I can't see how anything can rotate without some drilling out of the preexisting hole. Can't look at 'em right now since I'm in Muncie, and the props are in Portland. Also, the hubs are too large to be scale on my 1/12th scale Dolphin, but look about right for the 1/8th scale Goose.

Since neither of these models is anything but sport scale, I really shouldn't be so darned picky - these props DO look good!

Geoff
Old Aug 29, 2010, 04:10 PM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,304 Posts
Ahh. When you look closely at the prop blades, you will see that the hole that fits over the plastic pin is in fact oval and will allow the blade to rotate slightly in either direction, giving you that 5"-15" range in the description. At stock pitch, the lug locks the blade in place, once you go adjustable, it is the friction of the hub that stops blade rotation. The screw through the middle of the blade keeps it from flying off, even if the screw isn't completely tight.

Jeff