HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Discussion
Micro living room flying Ember 2 or Vapor?

I am looking for a Ultra-Micro or small airplane to fly indoor in my small living room. Seems only two choices are the Ember 2 and Vapor. Which ones would you consider? Keep in mind it'll be in a living room area and not a gym or basement.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:24 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Apr 2009
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
I am looking for a Ultra-Micro or small airplane to fly indoor in my small living room. Seems only two choices are the Ember 2 and Vapor. Which ones would you consider? Keep in mind it'll be in a living room area and not a gym or basement.
I have both and feel you couldn't possible fly the Ember 2 in a house or even a garage. The Vapor would not be a problem. Bob
wslco10 is offline Find More Posts by wslco10
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
How does the Vapor fly outdoor with the wind?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:40 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,645 Posts
I have the Vapor and I can tell you that the Vapor doesn't like wind at all. Even the tiniest puffs of wind will push this plane off course or worse. The Vapor flies best in large empty rooms or gyms.

-Stone1295
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Even the Vapor needs more room than a living room for decent flying. A 2 car garage is about the minimum space it needs for proper flying. Really there is no plane that makes a good living room flyer. You might consider the Blade MCX2, it's a total blast inside the house.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:52 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
I have the Vapor and I can tell you that the Vapor doesn't like wind at all. Even the tiniest puffs of wind will push this plane off course or worse. The Vapor flies best in large empty rooms or gyms.

-Stone1295
The vapor is GREAT in a living room... but I've flown mine outdoor PLENTY of times, just go out in the evening for some relaxing flyin
chevypower1930 is offline Find More Posts by chevypower1930
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:19 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Thanks, I'll pass on the vapor then. By the way, I do have a Mcx2 heli and its great for indoor flying. Stable and stress free heli flying (indoor only ).
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:23 AM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I'll pass on the vapor then. By the way, I do have a Mcx2 heli and its great for indoor flying. Stable and stress free heli flying (indoor only ).

Why would you pass on the vapor?? everything you asked for in a plane we just told you the vapor delivers??
Last edited by chevypower1930; Aug 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:36 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
I think vapor will fly great for me in my living room, however I also want it to fly it outdoor with low wind also. I am beginner RC airplane flyer and was looking at Champ, but that is too much for living room flying, therefore I look at the Vapor. Too bad there is no micro airplane that will fly in living room and handle some wind.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:50 AM
USA, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2009
832 Posts
Quote:
I think vapor will fly great for me in my living room, however I also want it to fly it outdoor with low wind also. I am beginner RC airplane flyer and was looking at Champ, but that is too much for living room flying, therefore I look at the Vapor. Too bad there is no micro airplane that will fly in living room and handle some wind.
Well for a plane to be able to fly in a living room it MUST be pretty much feather light and have very high wing loading... which of course is not going to be able to fly in the wind...

I'm telling you buddy you'll love the vapor, it can fly outside with no problem when there is very light to no wind... it's a blast, it'll do unlimited loops outside and will fly at at less then a walks pace! You won't be dissapointed... if your worried about outside flight youtube parkzone vapor! there is plenty of them flying outside
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:25 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I have both the Champ and the Vapor. From your other thread it says your looking for your first plane. Go with the Champ and then get a Vapor once you can fly well. The Vapor is an awesome plane, don't get me wrong, but for learning to fly, it's not really good. It can't go outside very often and flying inside takes a little more skill. You were also looking at the P-51. The UM P-51 (or even the new UM T-28) would be okay if you have a computer radio and with some practice on a flight sim. Do you have a DX6i or DX7?

Ben
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:32 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Hey Ben, yes I have Dx6i and used it to fly my 4 channel micro heli mSR both indoor/outdoor (low wind), that is why I was thinking of doing same with RC micro plane. Was advised here to go for Champ (leaning toward 90%, 10% to go with UM P-51 or T-28, yes may be taking a risk since I'm newbie). All these are really outdoor flying, I know I can't fly them in my living room. Which flight simulator woudl you recommend? Any free ones out there?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:44 PM
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Yep, FMS is here It's not going to have realistic physics, but it will teach you orientation, (comparable to nose in, nose out on a heli) Then you would need to buy either a cable to run your DX6i to your computer or buy a TX just for the computer that has a USB cable attached. I think you should have no trouble flying the UM P-51 or UM T-28 as long as you fly over grass. One more question, how big is your flying space?

Ben
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:51 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Don't have measurement, but its very small typical living room in apt complex. Not nice size living room in a house. I'll be flying over grass (baseball field) near my building, so landing is ok if I can avoid the baseball mound. Baseball mound snap my blade grips in my mSR.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I fly my Champ, P-51, Sukhoi all comfortably in my 90' by 100' backyard. I fly my big planes at a field with a baseball field in the corner. I land, takeoff on the baseball diamond. Work's nicely.

Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me if you are having issues.

Ben