HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
Joined Apr 2009
90 Posts
Another way to tell you have a fake....... although may not aply to all fakes

The backplate screws on a genuine GY 401 are 3 bladed security screws not normal 4 blade tips.....

so if you got 4 blade normal screws..... you got screwed
kneekolaas is offline Find More Posts by kneekolaas
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:57 AM
Essex, UK
Joined Dec 2003
579 Posts
I got me some expensive nuts!!!!

I GOT ME A RUSTY NUT too!!!!!!!!!

I shamefully would like to join the club, but first would like to make a statement:

I bought this item off ebay (hobby-rc too), always believing it was the genuine article, as EVERYTHING on the planet is made in China these days, I thought it's only a natural part of the product lifecycle that it eventually gets sold "direct to the public" as it were, cutting out distributors etc.

I have been duped, as have the rest of you, and am seeking ways to recover my hard earned cash.

In reading this thread, surely, ebay cannot insist on the victim returning obvious counterfeit goods back to the sender...if you take the instance of fake currency as an example: in the UK at least, if you tender (knowingly or intentionally is irrelevent for this discussion) false currency, and it is identified as such, you lose the currency - the authorities don't give it back to you wishing you better luck in passing it on to someone else....

I have compared my genuine UK sourced gyro with the Chinese fake, and my observations are:

(i) genuine Futaba came in a red cardboard box - NOT a "jewel box"

(ii) all pins in all connectors in the genuine article are gold plated, in the fake, the servo connector has silver plated pins, the other connectors are gold

(iii) as posted by other savvy ezoners, the original has three bladed security screws, whereas the fake as standard phillips screws

(iv) the printing is slightly different, but this is impossible to detect unless you have two side by side by which time you'll be posting here with the rest of us!!!

(v) the original has a white paper label stuck on it with some Japanese text (i assume it's Japanese - how funny would it be if the original is Chinese text too?!!)

I attach some pictures for your amusement. I reserve the right to delete this post if I get too many replies with the words "sucker" or "fool" in them..!

I note they sent the rusty nut with a tracking number on it, I am now wondering what my best course of action is...do I declare to ebay that I have a fake and then post it back or do I deny ever recieving the fake and go that way as no signature was required at this end?
Ahmed is offline Find More Posts by Ahmed
Last edited by Ahmed; Sep 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:02 PM
Essex, UK
Joined Dec 2003
579 Posts
Oh, and this is the official guidance from futaba:
Re: GY401
support Futaba <support@hobbico.com>
Add to Contacts

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

Yes, our connectors are gold, theirs won't be. Plus on some clones, they put a nut between the boards inside to act as a spacer. Ours don't have this.

We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,
John G.- PS9004
Product Support Lead Technician
Futaba Programming Technician
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:15 PM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
It's a shame that whoever made this is very bad at "faking" it. You can see clearly in those great photos that these ebay GY401's are fakes, not "Clones." Quality contol is sub-par.

I would like to see a movement in which a seller is held liable for selling goods that are counterfeit. In an international marketplace that is difficult to do. But this falls into the laps of eBay and their reputation. In the states an attorney would crawl up your yin-yang for false representation and copyright infringment. eBay should have a policy in place to protect the buyers from sellers like this, and sellers accounts that violate this term of service should be expelled from the community.

Everyone has a chance to say "whoops, my bad" "I will issue a refund" This hardly remedies the situation. There are still consumers out there that are using a sub-standard product and are not aware of it's short comings. In this hobby it raises a serious safety risk. The more I think about this the more it angers me that these sellers are taking advantage of people. I am forwarding this thread to eBay and I will badger them until I hear they have fixed the situation. This is not acceptable, I also think Futaba should have a lawyer contact ebay because of the infringement. They will not be able to do much to the seller but they can at least stop eBay from allowing the sale of potentially dangerous products.
2sicMiniT is offline Find More Posts by 2sicMiniT
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:05 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
ewoodcox , didnt know there was a clone of the futaba gyro besides the hk401b , thanks for clarifying
ohya , thiers a scam artist born every minute!!!!!!anything to get your $$$$$$
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:17 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sicMiniT View Post
It's a shame that whoever made this is very bad at "faking" it. You can see clearly in those great photos that these ebay GY401's are fakes, not "Clones." Quality contol is sub-par.

I would like to see a movement in which a seller is held liable for selling goods that are counterfeit. In an international marketplace that is difficult to do. But this falls into the laps of eBay and their reputation. In the states an attorney would crawl up your yin-yang for false representation and copyright infringment. eBay should have a policy in place to protect the buyers from sellers like this, and sellers accounts that violate this term of service should be expelled from the community.

Everyone has a chance to say "whoops, my bad" "I will issue a refund" This hardly remedies the situation. There are still consumers out there that are using a sub-standard product and are not aware of it's short comings. In this hobby it raises a serious safety risk. The more I think about this the more it angers me that these sellers are taking advantage of people. I am forwarding this thread to eBay and I will badger them until I hear they have fixed the situation. This is not acceptable, I also think Futaba should have a lawyer contact ebay because of the infringement. They will not be able to do much to the seller but they can at least stop eBay from allowing the sale of potentially dangerous products.

i agree with this 100%. ebay should step up, but considering the $ generated by these clones and other "knockoffs" of other products i can't say i'm surprised that they don't.

btw 2sicminit, i love your avatar. makes my chuckle every time!
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:43 PM
Joined Apr 2009
90 Posts
Think abouit tho.... that hobby-rc scammer had near 30,000 feedback... thats atleast $30,000 dollars for ebay and paypal (same company i think)..... Do you think they will cut there own lunch...?

i think someone should start up a "Kick a scammers ass" website or collect donations to pay a hacker to ummmmmm..... convince them of their bad behaviour...
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
90 Posts
Anyway paypal has my hobbyshop appraisal documents now.... so time will soon tell..
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:53 PM
Joined Apr 2009
90 Posts
Maybe a "shut this seller down" button... and if enough people click it......
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:42 AM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
My Email to the President of Ebay North America Bill Cobb

Dear Bill,

Something very disturbing has come to my attention. I have been made aware that several people have been duped into buying fake merchandise from a certain Chinese seller. My concern here is that products being sold on eBay are being represented as 100% authentic merchandise. My problem with this particular case is that there is no law governing an overseas seller. I will be getting into more detail here but what I am speaking of as far as accountability is concerned is that there is a flagrant case of copyright infringement and misrepresentation.

I have always been satisfied with my experience with Ebay. In this case however my resolve has been shaken to the core. I have been reading many complaints from members of a Radio Control forum about a product being sold on Ebay and I am concerned to the point of outrage.

The particular product in question can be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Futaba-GY401-Gyr...item45f272ce5f

You may be thinking "why is this such a big deal?" Safety is my #1 concern. This product is designed to aid in the stable directional flight of R/C helicopters. These particular helicopters are not toys by any means. They can be very dangerous when things go wrong. People have lost fingers and even killed by these heli's. This is an extremely dangerous product. From a liability standpoint if there were to be a catastrophic failure of this device people would question Futaba with manufacturing concerns and product workmanship. If this particular company were to make their own and accept responsibility for their product that would be great. BUT, this is not a product that is made by Futaba. This is a fake, not a clone, but a total fake. It is highly innappropriate for Futaba to be suffering ill reviews because of this product. If it were not for eBay, people would more than likely not be exposed to such products. But since we are there has to be some sort of regulatory procedure that kicks this situation in the pants.

I know that eBay wishes to keep it's good name. To be honest I don't think that this is a case that will be known by enough people to put a dent in peoples trust in your company. But I will say that not taking care of it sends a message that is not good. I would like to see eBay take action and make options available for buyers to report fake goods. Especially when it could lead to an issue of customer safety. I know that eBay does not endorse illegal activities, and this may be on the verge of being in a "grey" area so to speak. But I don't think Futaba appreciates being undercut by a substandard product that is potentially dangerous. Ebay needs to make it very clear to sellers that the company operates under the laws of the United States of America.

I leave this before you knowing that you are an upstanding company that cares about the safety and confidence of it's consumers. I would greatly appreciate it if I could get a response to my concerns. I would like to be able to tell people that I talk to in the future that Ebay is a very good company and they take care of their people. Instead of what could potentially come from being ignored. I know you won't do that to me.

I thank you for your time taken to my concerns and I wish you the very best.

James Reedy
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:48 AM
Joined Apr 2009
90 Posts
nice...!!!

cheers James

What most people dont realise is that the average blade tip speed is about 500km/h... and when this is on a heli from 400mm to 1700mm... diameter
its more than enough to loose some of your bits....

Our instuctor hear was once hit by his own Rex 600 (his fault)and nearly lost his arm as a result.

WOOOOOOOOW...!!! THAT SELLER HAS SOLD NEAR 100 OF THESE......
thats a lot of potential accidents out there...
Last edited by kneekolaas; Sep 18, 2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:28 AM
Joined Apr 2009
90 Posts
There is actually a link on the item page that you can report item...
if everyone could do that that would be great...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:47 AM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
Reported,
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:29 AM
Essex, UK
Joined Dec 2003
579 Posts
Right, I have decided to take a risk and have left neg feedback starting with FAKE!! FAKE and then quoting this link for potential
victims.

I am getting incensed by the fact that I was looking for a genuine article, not knowingly seeking out a cheap copy for safety's sake.

Hopefully ebay will not turn against me for leaving negative fb first and publicly "outing" this criminal, but should they wish to take that line then so be it - neither they nor the seller have a leg to stand on...I have the genuine article and there can be no disputing the fact that I have an illegal fake - it's a clear cut case in black and white.
Should ebay take the line I should have pussy footed about with the seller etc. etc. then there's not a lot I can do apart from chalk it down to experience gained.
But it's deadly urgent that future hobbyists are made aware of this seller...

But damn...I should have realised from the jewel box, especially as I have an original, this was not legit. What I also can't come to terms with, is why the doubts about the price being too good to be true kicked in after I paid for it...it's not as if this link is hard to find. Hindsight is a fabulous thing, maybe the Chinese could sell that to us, 'cos I sure as hell need a bit!
Last edited by Ahmed; Sep 18, 2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:02 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
strange about the jewel case though. i've bought two 401 gyros from tower hobbies in the past. one was the gy401/9254 combo that came in the red cardboard box and the other one was just the gyro alone....this one came in a small jewel case like this shyster is selling.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone