HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2010, 09:19 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RChelisrule View Post
that thing sure looks real to me, writing on front of the actual gyro is the same as whats on the side of their box, not the same box as futaba shows on their website to show fakes so it is hard to tell for me, as for the "bolt" can you take a clear pic? either back your camera up and use the zoom to take the picture or use a flatbed scanner and you will get much better results with close ups. Trying to put a point and shoot 6 inches from something will always be fuzzy. Back up a few feet and use you zoom to get close and you should be able to get a clear shot. And a flat bed will give you even better results for close ups
We should really make this a sticky ... it works a like a charm. I'm sorry i'm used to using film......the digital age just snuck up on me.
Darker4308 is offline Find More Posts by Darker4308
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2010, 12:44 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2005
24 Posts
That's a much better picture. I think thats a 'nut', not a bolt. So you paid $100 for a nut. Maybe that's better?

I would buy a clone if I knew *beforehand* that it was a clone. Deceit is something Ebay really needs to crack down on.
dickeypjeep is offline Find More Posts by dickeypjeep
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:21 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
Sorry yes ... it is a nut and it was about 50-60.

Also, the chinesse are jerking me around something terrible on the ebay resolution center. I've just got to wait 7 days so i can escalate the case and I'm sure they are taking that time to max out their credit cards. If anyone knows a faster way to resolve this mess I would really love to hear it.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:26 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,348 Posts
Sorry to hear its a fake. Just last evening i was looking at the same e-bay deals and was convinced it was real. Good thing i diddnt order. I did place a bid on a broken one without case. im good at tinkering and hope to get it fixed and fly a real 401 some day
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Sep 02, 2010, 03:12 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2005
24 Posts
Just noticed they dropped their prices by 10%. They must know they are about to be shut down... hopefully.
dickeypjeep is offline Find More Posts by dickeypjeep
Old Sep 02, 2010, 03:52 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
If you pay less than $100, odds are it's not as good as the real GY401's. NOW that it's gonna get confusing, I may opt for the JR-770...I know it's good.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Sep 02, 2010, 06:03 PM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
i'd like to know what their reasoning is for the nut. just weight, so maybe the "401" has a little bit of heft to it like a real 401?
the least they could have done would be to use a nice, new zinc plated nut.

as far as whatever else you can do....contact paypal too. the item was not as described....you were told you were getting a genuine futaba 401 gyro....and you didn't.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
Old Sep 02, 2010, 07:49 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
Paypal just feeds back into ebay's resolution center. I tried to call in ... never ever will call ebay again.
Old Sep 02, 2010, 09:40 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
that's messed up.
my guess is that ebay won't care too much. there are too many counterfit everythings on ebay....ebay/paypal make a shite ton of money from these sources is my guess.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 12:03 AM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
That is what confuses me. The buyer protection, that did come with this deal, must be a form of insurance. They also don't make money if a trade gets reversed. I mean you have to give ebay a credit card number, but they don't ask what your credit limit is. I would think that it is in ebay's interest in stop any fraud just on the basis that it costs them money in insurance fees if someone does a runner. Can anyone with one of those "I studied ebay in depth MBA's" shed some light on this ... I know there has to be one of you out there.

UPDATE :

Now they want me to send it back. HA! Obvious scam.
Last edited by Darker4308; Sep 03, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 05:56 AM
Joined Apr 2009
90 Posts
Yep... just got my 2 ... $70 each...They look the real deal... gold plugs and all... buuuuuuuuutttt
rusty nut inside....!!!!!! oooooooooooo thats high tech......

Same seller as you Darky... also trades as planemodel888....
watchout eveyone
kneekolaas is offline Find More Posts by kneekolaas
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:10 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,952 Posts
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That there is one rusty nut!
What is it diong inside a gyro?
Is there a legit reason there needs to be a "large" mass of iron inside a gyro?

Now that i have seen that i will never buy a Futaba GY 401 gyro....and i was just at the lhs yesterday and noticed that the price ther for the futaba gy 401 was $149.99 and they dropped it to $139.99.....mabey it is a fake....with a nut stuck in it.

Well if the fakes have rusty nuts in them then we should be able to weigh the gyro and compare it to the weight of a known real one...who knows.
But that fake gyro just made Futaba lose a customer...me.

Everybody needs to stop buying the cheap clone knock off stuff..........yeah right ...that will never happen......but thats what needs to be done!

Darker....I hope you can get your money back...but i doubt it.
We need to fight fire with fire......pay them with fake funds!...lol

The best thing to do is educate as many people as you can about the fake products and how buying them not only burns you personaly but also is degrading our economy and general way of life.
Education is the key....if people really understand what they are doing by buying the clone fake stuff and they keep buying it.....Well thats why gyros get sold with a rusty nut in them....because they know some guppy will come along and have a bite.

Good Luck Darker....and don't buy anymore cheap clone knock off stuff ....or else you might end up with a pair of rusty nuts..lol

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:14 PM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
I would like to see the insides of these 2 GYRO's side by side. Reason being is that they both come from China, I would be curious to see if they arent the same thing. People are much more likely to buy it at a higher price than if it was marketed as a generic gyro.
2sicMiniT is offline Find More Posts by 2sicMiniT
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:46 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
I think there are some that are "better". This isn't the only knock off. They use the nut to equalize the mass with a real gyro and hold the board in place. There is no good reason for a large "mass" in a gyro unless you are using a mechanical gyro. Todays MEMS sensors are fairly small. If you flip back in the thread you can see what a real one looks like.....

If you want to check yours it has 4 screws on the bottom and there is no sticker so it's fairly easy to get inside. If it looks like it has a massive cell phone chip in there it is probably the real deal or at least a good clone.

Just so everyone knows ... that Skookum 720 hasn't been knocked off yet as far as I know

I think I might get one of those.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:39 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,180 Posts
Quote:
But that fake gyro just made Futaba lose a customer...me.
don't blame futaba for this! so long as you buy from reputed retailers, you have nothing to worry about whatsoever.