SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2012, 07:37 PM
USA, OR, Deschutes
Joined Oct 2006
46 Posts
Just got my money back

eBay just refunded my entire payment for the fake gyro, price and shipping! Thank you eBay!

Chris Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshaker View Post
I am an example. I just purchased what turned out to be a fake Futaba GY401 on eBay from HOBBY HOBBY.STORES. I had installed it on my Blade 400, but had not yet test flown it. Seemed to work, so I gave the seller full marks in feedback.

Another guy who also purchased a gyro from the same seller contacted me and asked me if mine was a fake. After reading the Futaba web page on fakes, I assumed because it had gold connectors that it was real. WRONG.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/techsupport/counterfeit.html

Dug out a known good Futaba GY401 that I purchased a couple of years ago for my Trex 450SE. Differences are: Fake uses phillips screws. Real one has tri bladed security screws. Also, the product numbers on the bottom of the plastic case are different. On the FAKE, the numbers are "07101492-1", and "GY401-020". On the real Futaba gyro, the numbers on the bottom of the case are "01101472-1", and "GY401-001".

Chris Shaker
cjshaker is offline Find More Posts by cjshaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
I'm glad to here that this thread is still going it's very important for us to all be aware of the fakes that come out of China. I know it was a big wake up call me for. Now I buy most of my stuff via respected outlets and the only time i flirt with China is when I am buying from hobbyking.
Darker4308 is offline Find More Posts by Darker4308
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
UK
Joined Apr 2009
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Pilot View Post
Hope im not necroposting as I believe its still a problem, ive read the entire thread (21 pages) and putting it politely.... im quite disgusted

Is it just the GY401 that is affected by this scam or has it ever been discovered in earlier models like for instance the GY400 ?

Edit: Done some research which I normally do first before posting and found out that the GY400 is a Colco product (cheap clone ?) and not a Futaba like the lovely kind honest ebayer suggested !

No wonder there were no replies as my question was a bit retarded as if to say like where have you been for the last 7 years you mean you didnt know

Ive left the original question intact so you can all have a laugh at my expense
Another Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Another Pilot
Last edited by Another Pilot; Aug 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Nova Scotia, Canada
Joined Apr 2006
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshaker View Post
I am an example. I just purchased what turned out to be a fake Futaba GY401 on eBay from HOBBY HOBBY.STORES. I had installed it on my Blade 400, but had not yet test flown it. Seemed to work, so I gave the seller full marks in feedback.

Another guy who also purchased a gyro from the same seller contacted me and asked me if mine was a fake. After reading the Futaba web page on fakes, I assumed because it had gold connectors that it was real. WRONG.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/techsupport/counterfeit.html

Dug out a known good Futaba GY401 that I purchased a couple of years ago for my Trex 450SE. Differences are: Fake uses phillips screws. Real one has tri bladed security screws. Also, the product numbers on the bottom of the plastic case are different. On the FAKE, the numbers are "07101492-1", and "GY401-020". On the real Futaba gyro, the numbers on the bottom of the case are "01101472-1", and "GY401-001".

Chris Shaker
I just took an older gyro apart to be sure I had the read deal, and I do but my screws were the regular phillips heads and not the tri sided security screws.
Stikflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stikflyer