HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:31 AM
life is an oyster. shuck it!
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Where did you buy it from and how much was it?
used (still had protective film on the cover), $70 in a f/s thread on helifreak.
istandalone is offline Find More Posts by istandalone
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 08:35 AM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
i was just browsing the 401 gyros on ebay, and the first one i came to has this in the Q & A section (this is a cut and paste)

" Q: Hello: I would like to purchase 2 of these gyros, and other items including servos and TX RX, but the shipping cost to USA is getting too high. Is it possible to consolidate all the shipping cost? For example, buying two... Continue reading
A: hi friend; as our low value, we can't give discount, each items should pay the shipping,but we can give you 3% discount, that's our best price, so hope you can understand us, thanks have a nice day
Sep 28, 2010
Q: Hello there is this gyro a copy or clone from the futaba 401 gyro or is it the real thing. Thank you
A: hi friend; so sorry to tell you that,it is a clone, have a ncie day
Aug 09, 2010 "

it's on this listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GY401-Head-Lock-...#ht_2606wt_907
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:36 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darker4308 View Post
I mean the ebay links. Not the pictures.

I posted the pictures
Oops, sorry. Like Ahmed said, the guy I bought from "hobbyrc-y" changed his tactics shortly after I did my transaction.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:33 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
Doesn't matter what he is doing is still illegal. I've contacted customer service.
Darker4308 is offline Find More Posts by Darker4308
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:26 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
it's funny on that auction, they admit it's a fake. they say "clone", but even that's not completely accurate.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 09:59 AM
USA, California
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
I fell for it too! & first post

I read this post about two weeks too late; I fell victim to my own greed and planemodel-a's listing for a $56 GY401.
I came across this post while the eBay gyro was in transit, so I purchased a genuine one at the LHS for $139.

When the eBay one arrived, I compared them side-side. Sure enough, the screws were Phillips and not tamper-proof. I didn't bother to open the unit since I wanted to return it. Other minor differences are no warranty card and the mounting tape has no mfr.'s logo on the release liner.

I opened a case with eBay and the seller agreed to a refund once he receives the unit. I'll consider the $12 return postage a "fee" for my greed/stupidity.

These types of threads, and this very useful information makes the forum very valuable. Thanks to all that contributed, I've probably saved a $1,000 heli from a bad gyro crash.

Bill
BillG1 is offline Find More Posts by BillG1
Old Oct 16, 2010, 10:26 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG1 View Post
I read this post about two weeks too late; I fell victim to my own greed and planemodel-a's listing for a $56 GY401.
I came across this post while the eBay gyro was in transit, so I purchased a genuine one at the LHS for $139.

When the eBay one arrived, I compared them side-side. Sure enough, the screws were Phillips and not tamper-proof. I didn't bother to open the unit since I wanted to return it. Other minor differences are no warranty card and the mounting tape has no mfr.'s logo on the release liner.

I opened a case with eBay and the seller agreed to a refund once he receives the unit. I'll consider the $12 return postage a "fee" for my greed/stupidity.

These types of threads, and this very useful information makes the forum very valuable. Thanks to all that contributed, I've probably saved a $1,000 heli from a bad gyro crash.

Bill
Too bad you didn't just refuse delivery. Then it goes back without you having to pay for it.
Good luck. Tracking indicates that Hobbyrc-y has had the item back for some time now and he keeps telling me he doesn't have it yet. I will have to escalate my dispute to a claim fairly soon. So far, ebay has been completely useless. Let's see if Paypal is any better. I somehow doubt it. I may have to contact my credit card company and get the charges nullified. Unfortunately, all this does is get my money back. It doesn't necessarily take it away from Paypal or Hobbyrc-y. VISA will most likely end up eating it. I don't so much as care about getting my money back. I want to make Paypal and Hobbyrc-y pay.
You can bet my feedback will be "choice".
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:26 PM
USA, California
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
Do they work?

I'm curious if the OP's question has been answered; do these knock-off gyros even work?
The seller asked me if I had tried it, and if it didn't work. Like he's expecting he gyro to work just fine...
Has anyone here put one on a heli?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
bennington, VT
Joined Mar 2008
3,175 Posts
my guess is they work about as good as the 401b gyros do. they'll hold decent during hovering and general ff, but once you do backwards flight and 3d the tail will blow out.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 06:49 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG1 View Post
I'm curious if the OP's question has been answered; do these knock-off gyros even work?
The seller asked me if I had tried it, and if it didn't work. Like he's expecting he gyro to work just fine...
Has anyone here put one on a heli?
I believe his question was answered in the 2 subsequent replies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
Some work, some don't. None I have seen are as good as the real thing. So many out, hard to say what you are getting.
Most are just a piezo gyro, several generations behind current high end gyro's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have one and it worked but not nearly as good as a real GY401. After reading the forums I found that one problem was the inside board was not mounted very well. After taking it apart and packing the inside with foam it was able to fly a helicopter fairly well.

I think Roto Bob got it right, there is a big difference in the quality of the sensor between the clones and the real thing.

A real GY401 is expensive but it works great. If you have the money a Spartan gyro is what you want. If you get one of those you will never need to upgrade no matter how big of a helicopter you get in the future.

Shortly after I entered this thread, someone PM'd me to say that these clones have been responsible for a few crashes.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
I would never put one on my heli. Would you seriously trust a cheap scam-made rip off gyro, with a rusty bolt inside instead of a chip on your multi-hundred $$$ heli??
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:42 PM
USA, California
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
I would never put one on my heli. Would you seriously trust a cheap scam-made rip off gyro, with a rusty bolt inside instead of a chip on your multi-hundred $$$ heli??
Nope. Not me, I purchaesd the real thing as soon as I realized I had been scammed!
But I was curious if they worked at all with the rusty nut instead of a chip. LOL! Sounds like they are just a cheap rate gyro.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:08 AM
Wendell, NC
Joined Jun 2010
1,217 Posts
I too would like to know if they work (doubt they would) but I'm not gonna be the one to try it lol.
lazor 22 is offline Find More Posts by lazor 22
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:31 PM
Essex, UK
Joined Dec 2003
579 Posts
The rusty bolt is just a spacer for the circuit boards.

I have returned my item back and the tracking shows it was received on the 14th Oct, but I have NO way of contacting Ebay to push this through...there are no links or contact buttons. This is the most frustrating thing about the whole UK version of the ebay interface...there are just NO direct ways of getting through to their customer services...very handy for troublesome individuals like me.
Ahmed is offline Find More Posts by Ahmed
Old Oct 17, 2010, 05:30 PM
Amherst, NY
Joined Jan 2008
310 Posts
Just stand firm dude. You'll get an email soon from ebay with your refund.
Darker4308 is offline Find More Posts by Darker4308