Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2010, 04:10 PM
SURREY!!! UK
Joined Apr 2010
197 Posts
Discussion
3dhs edge 41" edge as second ish) plane?

so I'm getting a bit ahead if my self here but I can't help thinking about it... I have a hz super cub with e flite 480 and am going to cut alierons and flatten, clipped wing ect. at this point my brother will get the e flite mini pulse and I will have flown it a lot?

would it be possible for me to go for the edge?

thanks in advance..
Mr Bloppy is offline Find More Posts by Mr Bloppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:38 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloppy View Post
so I'm getting a bit ahead if my self here but I can't help thinking about it... I have a hz super cub with e flite 480 and am going to cut alierons and flatten, clipped wing ect. at this point my brother will get the e flite mini pulse and I will have flown it a lot?

would it be possible for me to go for the edge?

thanks in advance..
I think a better bet would be the 47" SHP. I moved from a Mini Pulse to an SHP and actually found it easier to fly, yet more capable.

Also, the 40" or 41" Edges with a sport set up would be really sweet too, just not quite as easy as the SHP.

http://docaustinsfreakshow.blogspot....nd-set-up.html
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:39 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
If you're really comfortable with flying the cub I'd say go for it. Just make sure to set up your control throws REALLY low and give it a slightly nose heavy CG setting to make it a little more stable to start. If you can find Doc Austin's Blog he has an article about how to set up the Extra 300SHP for sport flying and that's the way you would want to set up this Edge to start with. I'll try to find you a link to his blog.

The Edge will be much different from the Cub that you're used to in that it will not have a tendency to "self right" itself. It will go where you point it. Just start out slow with it and I think you'll be fine.

-Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:40 PM
R.I.P. my 70" FB Slick
Moody, AL
Joined Jan 2006
1,655 Posts
I typed too slow and Doc beat me to it.

-Dustin
Wildman777 is offline Find More Posts by Wildman777
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:55 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
I'd take the Airfoilz Extra/Yak Full Fuse as the 2nd/transition plane. Quite inexpensive and very easy to fly ($100 Rx ready).

I agree that the SHP is easier to learn than the 40"/41" Edge. Larger size (wingspan, length) makes it more stable to gust and control input. But the Rx ready is about 3 times the Airfoilz.

Here is my learning curve:

1) 60" trainer, 4 flights in 2 weeks ==> crashed ==> repaired ==> retired (too boring)

2) Yak 55 Flight Flex, 50 flights in 4 weeks ==> 3 x repairs ==> retired (too small & flex)

3) Airfoilz Extra Full Fuse 260 ==> 140 - 150 flights in 7 weeks ==> 0 repair & still flying (hover, rolling harrier, etc) ==> will retire soon (a bit small)

4) TOC Yak 54 30%, DLE55 & HS7955 finished but has not maiden ==> might convert to electric.

5) Saving for the 3DH Extra SC 57" or EF Extra 300 58" ==> just the right size (visibility & wow factor)
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:11 AM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
the edge 41" will be great for you, I was flying a PZ corsair and went to the 40" edge and found it easier to fly and land than the corsair.

they are just so much more predictable and do exactly what you tell them. and you have heaps of power to get out of trouble. and never noised over on landing and takes off in about 1m.

seriously, they are really easy to fly, just keep the rates low untill you get use to it.

If you can take off and fly and land any aileron plane you will be absolutely sweet with the 41" edge.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Aug 23, 2010, 01:20 AM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
dont be scared, if you are confident and moderately capable you will love the edge.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Aug 23, 2010, 02:28 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
In the same boat!

I'm in the same boat as far as currently flying a PZ Corsair and looking for my second-ish plane. I was planning on getting a PZ Extra 300 but now reconsiderring sence all the reports of issues with the wing. Not knowing what to expect, would the 47" SHP be a better alternative to the PZ Extra 300? Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:48 AM
SURREY!!! UK
Joined Apr 2010
197 Posts
thanks for the response guys.

I'm trying to decide between the shp and edge... the shp will cost about 130 more than the edge (electronics, motor esc) so am trying to work out if its worth the extra 130?

thanks
Mr Bloppy is offline Find More Posts by Mr Bloppy
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:18 AM
Alameda, CA
Joined Dec 2006
2,924 Posts
Well, if you're interested in the opinion of a beginner - I have found the Edge to be the most compliant plane I have yet flown. I think this is owing to the fact that I have been learning on some pretty inexpensive models which simply have not been nearly as well designed and put together as the Edge.

I won't argue with the experts who precede me here and recommend the SHP, but if one follows the build process as outlined, balances the plane from the spar tube with a slightly nose down attitude as recommended, and begins with very low rates and lots of expo, it is difficult for me to imagine a plane any easier to fly than the 41" Edge.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision - I'm sure you will be happy with either.

Steve
sgomes is offline Find More Posts by sgomes
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:34 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bloppy View Post
thanks for the response guys.

I'm trying to decide between the shp and edge... the shp will cost about 130 more than the edge (electronics, motor esc) so am trying to work out if its worth the extra 130?

thanks
I certainly don't want to talk you out of the Edge because it's my best airplane, and I know you'de love it. I do think, however, with the SHP being bigger, it will fly smoother and more solidly, and the wind will effect it less. Bigger planes genewrally fly better.

Between the two, it is impossible to make a bad choice. I just think the SHP would be a better choice.

As far as the money, Andrew Jesky's rule is buy the biggest plane you can afford to crash.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:53 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
I'm in the same boat as far as currently flying a PZ Corsair and looking for my second-ish plane. I was planning on getting a PZ Extra 300 but now reconsiderring sence all the reports of issues with the wing. Not knowing what to expect, would the 47" SHP be a better alternative to the PZ Extra 300? Thanks!
The 41" Edge is way easier to fly than the PZ 300. I don't know about the SHP yet tho... hopefully I can tell you after this weekend
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybeatz View Post
The 41" Edge is way easier to fly than the PZ 300.
I trimmed one out for a guy this weekend and it was an ok plane, but it doesn't compare to the Edge at all. Not even close.

He's going to be one of the guys who will fly my SHP in the new Extra SHP sport report. We're going to let everyone who can solo fly that plane, and I might even put a newbie on a buddy cord with it.

Quote:
I don't know about the SHP yet tho... hopefully I can tell you after this weekend.
I wish you luck, but you won't need it. You're goijng to be shocked at how sweet and easy that plane is.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:40 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I wish you luck, but you won't need it. You're goijng to be shocked at how sweet and easy that plane is.
I'm really excited about it. I keep checking my email every 5 minutes looking for the "Your order has shipped" email.
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
I have a 41" Edge and 47" SHP. They are both a blast to fly. I prefer the SHP if it's windy (as Doc mentioned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
I'm in the same boat as far as currently flying a PZ Corsair and looking for my second-ish plane.
The Corsair is a great stepping stone to a 3DHS Extra or SHP in my opinion. That's basically the route my friend and I took (he got a corsair, I got a P-51, I struggled with the P-51 at first).

Here's another cool SHP vid http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8569482
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member