HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:45 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
7 Posts
Wind

Could anyone that has flown this model Please let me know how it flies in the wind & how much wind you flew in? I am looking for a larger model to handle a bit more wind than what I am flying now --The Apprentice. I am just looking for some more flying time. Also does anyone know if there are snow skies that would work with this plane. Winter comes soon and I would like to fly off the snow if possible. Thank You very much for your info! PJ.H.
PJ.H. is offline Find More Posts by PJ.H.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:02 AM
Landing!!
Norge, Møre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ.H. View Post
Could anyone that has flown this model Please let me know how it flies in the wind & how much wind you flew in? I am looking for a larger model to handle a bit more wind than what I am flying now --The Apprentice. I am just looking for some more flying time. Also does anyone know if there are snow skies that would work with this plane. Winter comes soon and I would like to fly off the snow if possible. Thank You very much for your info! PJ.H.
I received this plane a week ago, but haven't got the chance to start yet. Both the wife and kid are sick, so it's been unpacked and on the shelf...
Anyway; are planning the same servo-mod as nitrouss, hxt900 all around and two on the elevon. Are still a bit unsure if they can handle the load, but time will tell.
But to answer part of your question: http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10744
Don't worry about the price, it'll change when you've added them to cart. They are a bit on the heavy side, but I think they will do well. Actually I ordered 5 (They don't come in pairs!) Going to test them on my Cessna 185 - 150cm first, and probably install them on the 182 when I get it together at some point...
Will give feedback when they are tested, probably on wet grass if it's going to be any time soon.
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
kydawg1's Avatar
Motor City USA
Joined Mar 2007
3,613 Posts
I too have ordered on from Philip....I will post Video when I get a maiden on her.

Good info on this thread guys, keep posting builds and maidens.....good stuff.
kydawg1 is online now Find More Posts by kydawg1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:59 PM
Registered User
Dragevo's Avatar
Tromso, Norway
Joined Apr 2008
107 Posts
I just finished building mine, and found that the pushrod-threads strips very easily - just from adjusting/turning the plastic clevises. Thus I replaced them with CF rod & snap connectors. I also replaced the M3 blindnuts & screws for the wing mount, with M4's. I found that the easiest way to get access to the cockpit was to (gently) remove one of the side windows, using a sharp knife. I'll be flying mine with the Turnigy Sk 3548-900 on 2 x 5s LiFe packs.
Dragevo is offline Find More Posts by Dragevo
Last edited by Dragevo; Nov 02, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:48 AM
Registered User
Dragevo's Avatar
Tromso, Norway
Joined Apr 2008
107 Posts
Cg ?

From the manual, it seems that suggested CG is ~ 12 cm from the LE. Can anyone who has flown this bird confirm this ? It seems a bit too far aft to me.. Thanks.

Edit : I just found that Bernhard @ Bungymania recommends CG @ 11 cm from LE.
Dragevo is offline Find More Posts by Dragevo
Last edited by Dragevo; Nov 04, 2010 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:17 AM
Landing!!
Norge, Møre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
The Quanum snow skis from hobbycity worked excellent on the Cessna 185 - 150cm!
Did several touch and goes, and the fin underneath them gives very good steering in the snow. I think I had the biggest smile on sunday!
Are afraid that the "nose ski" will be to big on the 182, but will report back when it's tested.

But I got a question about how to power this bird.
On my shelf I have two motors. One Turnigy 50-55B (600kv) with Turnigy Plush 60A, and one no-brand 3740, KV500 with mystery 70A.
What would be the best solution? I would love to run it on 4S batteries as I got plenty of those, but wouldn't both motors draw too many amps and use too big props on 4S?
Have 3 6S batteries (2650-3300mAh) that could be used.

Should I order a higher rated ESC for the 50-55? E.g: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7341
(I already received a separate UBEC to use regardless of ESC.)
Should I order more 6S batteries or a higher kV motor with the ESC to use it on 4S?
Am I too concerned it's going to be underpowered??

Any ideas are welcome!
Please let me know what motor/ESC/battery/prop you are using?

Edit: Dragevo, just saw that you are using the same motor as I use on 4S in my 150cm Cessna. Is it enough power?
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:19 AM
Registered User
Dragevo's Avatar
Tromso, Norway
Joined Apr 2008
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieto View Post
Edit: Dragevo, just saw that you are using the same motor as I use on 4S in my 150cm Cessna. Is it enough power?
Yes, I'm sure it will be plenty for scale flying - no 3D though. I use the same motor & batteries in a 172 cm WS / 3 kg Cub, it's got more than enough power. I got the 50-55 too, but I use it in my 2.7 kg Haikong Yak 3D : So, get ready to 3D with your Cessna
Dragevo is offline Find More Posts by Dragevo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:54 AM
Landing!!
Norge, Møre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragevo View Post
Yes, I'm sure it will be plenty for scale flying - no 3D though. I use the same motor & batteries in a 172 cm WS / 3 kg Cub, it's got more than enough power. I got the 50-55 too, but I use it in my 2.7 kg Haikong Yak 3D : So, get ready to 3D with your Cessna
Hehehe, ok. So I'll use the mystery 3740-500kV on 6S then. Cannot ruin my old Cessna, still haven't used the floats that came with it, and I don't bother to order even more from hobbycity... Except maybe a big 6S battery for long flighttimes. Thanks!
Are you using HXT900 all around? I started to fit them in the tail, but are currently waiting for MG-servos to use on elevator and flaps. Maybe that's unecessary too? These btw: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=14458
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:09 AM
Registered User
Dragevo's Avatar
Tromso, Norway
Joined Apr 2008
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieto View Post
Hehehe, ok. So I'll use the mystery 3740-500kV on 6S then. Cannot ruin my old Cessna, still haven't used the floats that came with it, and I don't bother to order even more from hobbycity... Except maybe a big 6S battery for long flighttimes. Thanks!
Are you using HXT900 all around? I started to fit them in the tail, but are currently waiting for MG-servos to use on elevator and flaps. Maybe that's unecessary too? These btw: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=14458
The hxt 900's are great, but for this plane I'm using the 19 g GWS servos for elevator & rudder - & those cheap 16 g Turnigy servos for flaps & ailerons (I've used those on a 1.2 meter 3D plane, worked just fine).

I just got a shipment with a few of those MG servos you linked to, but haven't tested them yet. Looks promising, though - I would put them in the Cessna if I were you. This plane is kind of big, and those MG's are only $1.50 more a piece than the 900's.
Dragevo is offline Find More Posts by Dragevo
Last edited by Dragevo; Nov 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:36 AM
Landing!!
Norge, Møre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragevo View Post
The hxt 900's are great, but for this plane I'm using the 19 g GWS servos for elevator & rudder - & those cheap 16 g Turnigy servos for flaps & ailerons (I've used those on a 1.2 meter 3D plane, worked just fine).

I just a got a shipment with a few of those MG servos you linked to, but haven't tested them yet. Looks promising, though - I would put them in the Cessna if I were you. This plane is kind of big, and those MG's are only $1.50 more than the 900's.
Thanks again. I think I'll wait for the MG servos to arrive and use them all around. (Except nose wheel - cheapo turnigy there.) Have carved holes and made new links for servos on rudder and elevator already, and don't want too much weight in the tail. Really looking forward to get airborne with this one, hopefully next weekend will be the day!
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:00 PM
Registered User
Dragevo's Avatar
Tromso, Norway
Joined Apr 2008
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieto View Post
Thanks again. I think I'll wait for the MG servos to arrive and use them all around. (Except nose wheel - cheapo turnigy there.) Have carved holes and made new links for servos on rudder and elevator already, and don't want too much weight in the tail. Really looking forward to get airborne with this one, hopefully next weekend will be the day!

Yes, I'm using the hxt900 for the nose wheel - I just hot-glued it to the firewall. I'm busy in the next few weeks, so I think you'll beat me to maidening it - please report back how it went
Dragevo is offline Find More Posts by Dragevo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:35 PM
Registered User
charlatan's Avatar
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
456 Posts
Woohoo! Mrs Charlatan has ordered me one of these from Throttlestore off Santa ;o)
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:56 AM
Registered User
Dragevo's Avatar
Tromso, Norway
Joined Apr 2008
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
Woohoo! Mrs Charlatan has ordered me one of these from Throttlestore off Santa ;o)
With that name, I wouldn't trust her if I were you
Dragevo is offline Find More Posts by Dragevo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:10 AM
Registered User
charlatan's Avatar
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jun 2002
456 Posts
Heh heh heh. It's ok, I've seen the confirmation email
charlatan is offline Find More Posts by charlatan
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:22 AM
Landing!!
Norge, Møre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlatan View Post
Heh heh heh. It's ok, I've seen the confirmation email
Hold on to that woman!
Guess my missis would by me a plane the day it snows in hell..

Good luck on assembling the Cessna!

(I received the metal gear servos yesterday, so if I get time this weekend, maiden should be soon.)
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Cessna 182 (980 mm, EPO) Art-Tech karosi Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 3 Apr 27, 2010 02:38 PM
Discussion Bae Hawk Red Arrow,Flying Illusion by Tian Sheng 990mm hypstar Foamy EDFs 1 Feb 14, 2010 08:49 PM
Discussion 5ch EPO Cessna 182 with flaps RxR, incredible price BaracW Hot Online Deals 8 Feb 23, 2009 10:29 PM
Discussion Hobbycity's New Cessna 182 RTF 5Ch with Lighting & Flaps EPO anthodenn Parkflyers 1 Oct 22, 2008 02:09 PM