Fantastic Mr. Bradley, very well done!

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2010, 01:16 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Fantastic little bird. I found this thread through the link you posted on the Scale Electric Models thread for E-Challenged's Tritle SR-10 build.

In the video, she seems to be a much more realistic flyer than many others I've seen at much larger sizes. Years ago I built one in orange and white tissue for rubber power with a cowling much like yours which flew very well. She is long gone, but I still have another kit and xeroxed plans and printwood stashed away. Also plans for the Megow Reliant and several straight winged versions, and a Sterling SR-8.

I am thinking the Comet design might be a good candidate for the Parkzone "Playmate" innards. Great inspiration!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:12 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBrad View Post
Glenn - That method is very good when you have access to the servos. My installation will not have servo access once the tray is in place. Hence the magnet joiners.
So...does the pushrods "travel stop" allow you to tug enough on the rods to break the magnets free without hosing up the control surfaces?

Fantastic project—very inspiring. I'm starting a conversion of the Dumas Staggerwing.
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Last edited by Tony_Fletcher; Dec 07, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:06 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
700 Posts
Tony - The pushrod travel stops work very nicely in preventing damage to the elevator and rudder when I remove the equipment tray. The force of the pushrod magnets is plenty to keep things together when flying but does not place that much stress on the stops when the tray is removed. The set up has worked much better than I could have hoped for.

PJ and D-Rock - I apologize for not acknowledging your comments long before now. I have been buried in projects and have not kept up with this thread. Your collective kind words are greatly appreciated.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is online now Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:41 AM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Great design-very clever!
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:46 PM
Just a guy.
Canada, SK, Battleford
Joined Apr 2004
181 Posts
Indoor season is going to be starting for us fairly soon so I was going over some of my indoor gear and planning out some builds. I had to come back and go over this thread. I also felt that I needed to add to it. Last season I copied the sliding motor tray - so far it has flown in two models. One was little more than a test bed. The other is a micro Lazy Bee. I love the tray and am always on the lookout for other models it will fit into.

Here is a video of my Lazy Bee.

Micro Clancy Lazy Bee (4 min 45 sec)
Aber is offline Find More Posts by Aber
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2006
9 Posts
Thanks for the plans

Paul,

Just wanted to drop a note and thank you for making the plans available for download. I know this is an old thread but I really enjoyed building your Stenson and just wanted to say thanks..

I Went with an out runner, separate ESC, 2 cell and servos so I beefed it up a bit to deal with the increased power. My all up weight is 5 7/8 oz so the wing loading came out to 10oz/sq ft, which is not too bad for this size.

Should be doing the maiden within a couple of weeks, if anyone is interested ill post the results.

Thanks again
brianjt is offline Find More Posts by brianjt
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
700 Posts
Nice model. I would certainly be interested in a flight report. I expect that with your added power it will fly very nicely. At the higher weight/power loading it will also tolerate more wind.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is online now Find More Posts by PaulBrad
Old Jan 07, 2014, 09:29 AM
Joined Jul 2012
5 Posts
Alternate Electronics Source

Another potential source for electronics used in micro models is used up or crashed 4 channel micro size heli's. The best use linear servos and come with their own 2.4 gig hand units. New prices run $25 to $35 RTF, much less than Spectrums very usable little unit. Most have a tail motor which I have not figured out how to use yet so it goes in the donor bin for another project. Have used the fairly high powered drive motor at times without a gear down. Careful choice of prop is needed and finding adaptors with the proper shaft size is a problem. Have lifted a 5 oz foamy with no over heating problems using a 6 inch high speed prop. Happy building!
GPruett is offline Find More Posts by GPruett