HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:57 PM
Independence, KY and Brandon, MS
Joined Jun 2000
698 Posts
I agree that the best solution for simulating a radial engine on this model is to just add a graphic to the existing front disk. While it won't have the nice 3D look of a dummy engine it sure will look better than the flat black plate. Perhaps placing a 3D representation of the spherical portion of the crankcase combined with a graphic of the cylinders would be a reasonable compromise. That would be easy enough to do and would dress up the nose.

Thanks for the input.

Paul Bradley
PaulBrad is offline Find More Posts by PaulBrad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:06 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
if you use the 2d pic , use some flat and gloss finish to paint highlights , flat finish the darker deeper areas and then brush gloss on in the shaps of teh higher areas on the decal , like if you where distressing a plasic scale model but in this case you are painting fake specular witha high gloss clear coat , do a few layers on any raised parts . the light will hit it and trick it .
should look good.
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:30 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Paul,
Glad your Stinson flew well. That's too bad about the bad motor. I've been watching this thread as the plane was built and it sure is a nice one. Stinson's are favorites of mine, probably because my uncle has one (not this model). In fact, it's still in a barn on his property in San Diego adjacent to my brother's property. At some point they are supposed to restore it (my uncle's a retired American Airlines mechanic). Anyway, golden age planes are some of my favorites, and Stinson's in particular. I like yours.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:55 PM
Joined Jun 2000
698 Posts
Thanks for the good suggestions Prime_8. I will give them a try when I am able to work on the engine graphic.

Gordon - Thanks for your words of encouragement. Hopefully your uncle will be able to start the restoration of his Stinson in the not to distant future.

Hopefully I will have the new motor and spare next week so I can continue the flight trimming. I would also like to get some video. I do hope the wind spirits cooperated when the new motors arrive.

Paul Bradley
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:07 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,746 Posts
Hey Paul.
Did you recieve the replacement motor yet?
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:25 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
paul how many cyl dose she have , i may have a graphic im my 3D (CG ) stuff.
i have a few 100 just of engines. i could also render one from Max or such if have enough info .
if you have 1mm or so you could put one layer of details on some depron or balsa or the like.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:03 PM
Joined Jun 2000
698 Posts
Glenn - I have been out of town and just returned. The mail has been on hold. It is due to be delivered tomorrow and I hope the replacement motors will be in the lot. The weather forecast for our area, central Mississippi, does not look good for the next several days. It may be a while before I can get more flights in with the Stinson.

Prime_8 - I am in good shape with photos of the 9 cylinder radial engine used in the Stinson Reliant series. Some versions of the SR-7 used the Lycoming engine (245 hp) and others the Wright 265 or 320 hp engine. Due to my travels I have not yet had time to work up the engine graphics. Your suggestion of using some 1 mm Depron for the cylinders is a very good one. I will give that a look when I have the opportunity.

Paul Bradley
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:39 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
yeha it's what i will do for my micro beaver.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:35 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,252 Posts
Paul,
You mentioned an AUW of 52 gms and a 25" span, do you feel this is about the limit with the PZ equipment for a high wing monoplane? There's so many similar layout & sized plans out there. Stahl Waco (20" but a bipe), Stahl Howard, other Comets like the Howard.

The few two footers I've built have been with more conventional light equipment like the GWS rx, GWS LPS motors, lightest Bluebird servos etc. And with that setup AUW is usually around 90 gms.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:10 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Paul,
You mentioned an AUW of 52 gms and a 25" span, do you feel this is about the limit with the PZ equipment for a high wing monoplane? There's so many similar layout & sized plans out there. Stahl Waco (20" but a bipe), Stahl Howard, other Comets like the Howard.

The few two footers I've built have been with more conventional light equipment like the GWS rx, GWS LPS motors, lightest Bluebird servos etc. And with that setup AUW is usually around 90 gms.

bill
PKZ stuff will fly a 120g+ plane if you use an external ESC and 2 Aileron servos.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:07 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,252 Posts
UNGN,
What I meant was with the equipment he's using, the stock brick and highest thrust PZ motor the P51.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:43 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,502 Posts
Brushless set up you mean lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
PKZ stuff will fly a 120g+ plane if you use an external ESC and 2 Aileron servos.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:22 AM
Joined Jun 2000
698 Posts
scrubs - Based on the power reserve I see with the Stinson it looks to me like the Micro P-51 power train and brushed motor will haul a much heavier model in the two foot span size range. I like having the power reserve with the Stinson for outdoor flying. It allows you to fly in more wind than would be possible with a model that needed more of the power to just stay aloft.

A larger airframe would come with more drag and that could be a deal breaker for the brushed P-51 motor. I do think 24" to 26" span models kept in the 50 to 70 gram flying weight range can be quite successful using the stock Micro P-51 gear.

Speaking of the Micro P-51 power system, the post office did deliver my replacement motor and a spare today. The Stinson is now ready for some additional flying action. A combination of life events and wind kept me grounded today. I am hoping I can get some flights in this weekend if the weather will cooperate.

Paul Bradley
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:53 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
cool .
hope flights go well.

stupid wing hurricane Igor ripped throuh my neck of the woods , lots of damage..
few places without fuel and food. main road wash rite out .

but rite now @ 3:21 am local , the air is dead , cool but dead.
but will be windy and rainy in no time . LOL
hope your wind lifts .
Old Sep 25, 2010, 01:22 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Brushless set up you mean lol
2S Brushed or brushless. If I was going to the trouble of scratchbuilding a 20+ Inch in WS plane I wouldn't torture myself with a Mustang Motor, when you can go with a 5g brushless and an ESC for only a couple dollars more.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN