HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
Port of Louisville
Joined Apr 2007
252 Posts
Discussion
Pro Boat Arleigh Burke Destoryer

I just purchased one of these models. I'm overall pleased with its appearance, and level of detail for something straight out of the box. They could use some improvement on packaging though as the main superstructure tends to get damaged on them in transit, if you're a modeler though its easily fixed.

I took it to the neighborhood lake last night and wasn't too impressed with the handling of it. It seems to be very top heavy using the reccomended ballasting method in the manual.

Has anyone else purchased this model and how did your's handle? Any tricks you tried to improve stability?

Phillip
Norway2112 is offline Find More Posts by Norway2112
Last edited by Norway2112; Aug 20, 2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: mispelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:35 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
Every Burke model I've ever seen is tippy. Really tippy. For R/C, they'd benefit from extra draft, or maybe a removable keel with a bulb weight.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:01 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,441 Posts
Interesting that they would all seem to be so tippy, the full scale Burke's were designed with extra beam just for better sea keeping, they are actually slightly slower than the Tico's for that reason. If you see a Burke at speed they move a massive amount of water to get that beam through it.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:54 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,379 Posts
Scale effect, my friend, scale.

About the only thing that scales correctly for model boats is displacement. But when it comes to wind acting on a sail, or the "look" of a wake vs. model speed, or the inertial effects of a heavy superstructure vs. the frictional effects of the water, then other wierdnesses creep in.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:19 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
hello from DON

HELLO all well on the burk I scratch built mind. I pick up a set of plans from The floating dry dock if I remember right. It is a full 1.96 scale . BUT When I did mind I made sure I use light 1.8th wood and mind is about 30 lbs full ballas and she runs good. I had often wondered how that Proboat one would run.. As well what they say for battey power and motors . So for I have not been able to see one in person.
Then mind is top off with working guns that move back and forth. THE Chopper goes up and down along with rotating main roader. As well as a sound system. I also use the the larger 12-7amp hour batter. Along with a pair of standard pitmens . So now I am wondering what the proboat has for weight along with ballase. MInd handles grate and I dont have any problems with it at all. she has a bean of about 8 inche and all most 5 1/5 feet long. All wood constructoin. SO i would be much intrested in what the proboat one is like. DON
Rustbucket is offline Find More Posts by Rustbucket
Old Aug 21, 2010, 03:40 PM
Just north of Tampa, Fl.
Joined Jan 2009
231 Posts
One of the reasons why the boats may be tippy is that the top weight is more than what it would be on the actual ship. Example if you build the mast all in brass and it is the heavy stuff then this would amount for more weight than what the actual mast would be on the real thing. Also if the stacks are of solid materail this would also lead to the same effect. We must remeber on your models that we need to keep the upper areas as light as you can. You can still use brass you just need to fiond the thinner wall stuff to help keep the weight down or even maybe use some aluminum in some case or evne carbon fiber structure peices.

Duane
Navy2000 is offline Find More Posts by Navy2000
Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:36 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
nice AB don any pics of her in the water?
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:51 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
Yes I do I will add some later. SHE Is all hand built but I did cheat in some areas. BUT the main ship is all scratch with a duble hull with foam in between. the haves . OK For to say something about that I did for get I did it. I wanted to make sure I had no problems with it. I did it about 10 years ago . After this last time out I have decided during the winter I will do some reworking on it. Motors are now getting tired but still push it. she handels like a dream. thankyou for the kind words. Ghost.
O one more thing go over to my DD board there are a couple on it but I will share some more soon. DON the Rustbucket.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:05 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
DDG 84 pictures

OK Ghost you ask for it ;-) So you will recve ;-)) See MY Ship even looks real at times pending on lighting;-))
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:32 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,369 Posts
Even in 1/72 scale the Burke's do lean abit.... but only in high speed turns!!
But from what the builder (Russ French of Defence Models & Graphic's) of DDG-81 Winston Churchill has told me the model behaves very well in all conditions and mimic's the full size ship's handling characteristic's accurately.

Bruce
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:44 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,369 Posts
Also there is a video of a Burke doing a high speed turn on You Tube called " Arleigh Burke taking Evasive action" I would post it but I got know idea how!! LOL

Bruce
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:04 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Navy ship taking "evasive action" (2 min 30 sec)
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:22 AM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
very good Ghost. I had seen that one a wile back or one like it.
Kind of funny even mind will do all most the same thing when I would throw it into a turn like that .
BUT she seems to come back up right .

Heavy I like those ships are they part of your personal fleet ?. Just wondeing

DON THE Rustbucket

Old Aug 22, 2010, 05:49 PM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,369 Posts
I WISH MATE!! I'll be happy if Lb is a 1/2 as detailed as Winne C !!

Bruce

Thx Ghosty Thats the 1
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:37 PM
Portland Oregon
Joined Aug 2006
4,811 Posts
HEY YOUR LONG Beach is looking good all ready I would not worry about your work at all. IT looks as good as the rest of us.
Remember one major rule in our hobbie is all about having fun and enjoying what we do. O ya one more thing everyone starts somewhear.
Kind of funny Today I was looking for something for race dog ran across my first DD and carrier and of some of my ships When I frist started out back in the eary 90s
I all most cringe when I saw my first DD and carrier.
I will see if I can dig up some of those pictures.
I cant belive what they look like and I did not know a thing about RC ships building at the time.
BUT I Had fun and learn along the way.
LIKE I Say that is one rule I havea allways keap in mind.
Even have had my fustrations along the way but that is part of learning and having fun BUT that fun I could live with out at times( Fustration that is )
OK have a good one.
DON YOUR OLD Portland Rustbucket