HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:15 AM
Joined Oct 2009
3 Posts
Discussion
Jet Line (jet Joe UK)

All,

I have just had the misfortune of doing business with Andy from Jetline (UK)

I have purchased a Jet Joe from him which stopped working after 5 mins of use.

Is it wrong of me to expect a refund?

The jet was purchased to form a part of a TV documentary so we have every second of runtime footage, the unpacking and the packing away again. (and a couple of voice calls)

I sent the Jet back after talking to Andy on the phone who said he would exchange it for a Jet Cat.

I have just received an e-mail from him saying that he is sending it back due to general poor condition!

It has only ever been bench run in F1 workshop conditions.

So I guess this is a warning from a new customer not related to the RC industry in any way please have a look around and ask about your after sales service before buying anything from Jet Line (UK)

We may still use the footage of the first Jet stopping after 5 mins in the documentary which will be shown on national TV next spring. So you will ALL be able to see it first hand.

I now have all the fun and games of talking to trading standards and my Lawyer to recover the 1600 I paid for a (5 min Jet).

Happy to talk to anyone about this, more so if you think you can help us to get back on track with our documentary. 07983 428 453

SW.
paramotorclub is offline Find More Posts by paramotorclub
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:47 AM
Burnin Kero & Diesel Downunder
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
SW very sorry to here of your misfortune mate. Unfortunately the JJ's have an extremely poor reputation within the larger R/C hobby community. To be honest your experiences with this product come as very little surprise to me and most experienced R/C jet modelers... I have been in the hobby for many years and when JJ first appeared on the scene some years ago now around 2003 I was one of the very first people to see them for what they are first hand and after seeing the major issues and concerns with the production product I began to start warning modelers when ever possible of the very their suspect design and general engineering flaws. Little has changed Iam afraid after all these years. I usually get flamed on these forums by the JJ sales reps and a few of their apparent supporters but to be honest the more people who are made aware of these at best paper weights the better as far as Iam concerned.... There are literally no experienced or well established jet model retailers anywhere in the world selling these things for exactly this very reason that you have experienced first hand....

If you have not been discouraged and are genuinely looking for some real knowledgeable gas turbine sales and support in the U.K. I can recommend quite a few people although the one person who I would strongly recommend making contact with is Rob Rowbothum a highly experienced and respected turbine dealer and explain your requirements to him as he can offer some quality turbines that do work along with unmatched customer support. Contact details as below-

Rob Rowbothum
Ph- 01772 617367
Mob- 0775 987 1631
Email address PM'ed

If you still would like any further assistance please feel free to ask here or email or PM me directly and I will put you in contact with further people who will be more than happy to assist.

Hope this helps....

Cheers- Marty
Marty C... is offline Find More Posts by Marty C...
Last edited by Marty C...; Aug 20, 2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 04:14 PM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
411 Posts
SW

I agree completely with Marty. It is a shame that you chose the worst possible engine make for entry into the world of model jet turbines. As you are in the UK the obvious people to talk to are Wren Turbines. Mike Murphy I am sure would be able to help you. Wren have helped with various university type installations as well as a number of film projects.

Rob is also a person to be trusted.

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:30 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
907 Posts
I noticed on the Jetline website that he also (primarily?) stocks Jetcat engines, the most popular model turbine, world wide.

Did Jetline recommend Jetcat and when you heard the price go for the cheap (JetJoe) option against their advice? I cannot, for the life of me, begin to imagine an experienced jet modeller recommending a JetJoe turbine over a Jetcat turbine or any other turbine for that matter.
Quote:
I sent the Jet back after talking to Andy on the phone who said he would exchange it for a Jet Cat.
What a deal! Send back a stuffed $1000 turbine in exchange for a quality $3000 turbine.... um, I don't think so.

Mind you, for powering just work benches, JetJoes seem to be very poular, most other turbines end up in aeroplanes!

I learnt long ago that a $150 pair of shoes that are comfortable & long lasting are a far better buy than a $20 pair that give you blisters & fall apart. The same appears to be the case in most things we buy. - John.
Boomerang1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomerang1
Old Aug 21, 2010, 01:21 PM
Joined Oct 2009
3 Posts
The JJ is more money!

The JJ is actually MORE money from the same site.

I have been offered 700 on an exchange for a Jet Cat, but I just feel that I have done nothing wrong, and the jet has stopped (due to the ECU failing we now know)

Trading standards agree and will be starting the ball rolling on small claims court action for me on Monday.

I am going to look at the Jet Cats and the Wren. I do feel a little bit silly for trusting someone on the phone and buying what is clearly not fit for the job based on his advice. Partly my fault I guess.

Thanks for the advice guys, as I say, I know nothing about the mini jet world. I just wish I had asked first....

That's the Activist in my character I suppose.

I will keep you updated and expose the as yet 'top secret' project on this site as soon as I am able to. :-)

Simon W
paramotorclub is offline Find More Posts by paramotorclub
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:17 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Hard to look past Wren especially with the smaller turbines and for your circumstances being new to turbines and all. Wren can offer you some of the best and most experienced advice on these engines that you will ever find.

The MW-44 and MW-54 are world renown for they're engineering excellence and performance and Wren for customer support. Better still your turbine would be serviced and repaired locally as well. You can go and visit the factory first hand to view the products, see them perform and speak to the designers of the turbines. For a newbie it does not get any better

http://wrenturbines.co.uk/engines/turbojet
Old Aug 22, 2010, 12:41 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
907 Posts
Quote:
The JJ is actually MORE money from the same site.
Wow, amazing. Price is the only thing JetJoes have going for them & then it's the word 'price' not 'value'.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, as I say, I know nothing about the mini jet world. I just wish I had asked first....
Yep, you found out the hard way. Anyway, I hope you can come up with a solution to make you happy. Marty is 100% correct with what he says about Wrens, particularly if you live locally. Still, if you end up with the Jetcat you should be o.k.

Strangely, as far as I know, the ECU's & other aux bits that come with JetJoes are actually the quality bits, it's the quality of the engine itself that usually causes problems. The designs are sound too because they are (unauthorised) copies of established engines with good reputations. Good luck! - John.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:10 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
I dont know so much about the accessories either for that matter.... Some of the early production JJ's were actually being supplied with an older version of the Gaspar designed FADEC ecu.... Alas JJ figured they would copy that also and well the results speak for themselves Iam afraid. As far as Iam aware all later version JJ's i.e. of last few years including the electronics are JJ produced and quality is pretty much in keeping with the rest of the supplied JJ 'turbine' (a term I use loosely in this context)
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:28 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Mar 2005
907 Posts
My friend's JLT (JetJoe by any other name) had the GB Hobby electronics package with it which I believe is quite good.

If JetJoe is using their 'talents' to make their own ECU's it's just one more reason to avoid them. - John.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 05:25 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Mar 2006
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
My friend's JLT (JetJoe by any other name) had the GB Hobby electronics package with it which I believe is quite good.

If JetJoe is using their 'talents' to make their own ECU's it's just one more reason to avoid them. - John.
I still have some of the GB Hobby ECU's in stock, we used them on some of the early TJT-3000's also. Yes apart from being a little bulky they did work well.... The JLT's had them and would of been the best part your right.