HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:50 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Discussion
FMS 70mm Alpha Ducted Fan or the Art Tech Alpha Jet

So I have been researching good beginner EDFs and I have come up with two possibilities. The FMS 70mm Alpha Ducted Fan or the Art Tech Alpha Jet. Here are the links to both: http://www.nitroplanes.com/at-21273-...t-rtf-24g.html and http://www.nitroplanes.com/fms006-alpha-rtf-24g.html.

If anyone has a reason why i should buy one plane over the other or would like to suggest a completly different plane for a begginer around $150 i am all ears.

Thanks,
Bakon
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:26 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
So I have been researching good beginner EDFs and I have come up with two possibilities. The FMS 70mm Alpha Ducted Fan or the Art Tech Alpha Jet. Here are the links to both: http://www.nitroplanes.com/at-21273-...t-rtf-24g.html and http://www.nitroplanes.com/fms006-alpha-rtf-24g.html.

If anyone has a reason why i should buy one plane over the other or would like to suggest a completly different plane for a begginer around $150 i am all ears.

Thanks,
Bakon
fwiw i have the fms alpha

personally size does matter lol i have no idea what the art version performs like, but the fms looks great in the air, real easy to fly, being overslung wing. kinda flies a bit like a cessna 182/185 of the same dimensions.

a bit docile with stock motor but nice scale like.

i'm about to fly mine again after a rebuild due to a severe nose-in when an elevator clevis let go while doing a low pass hard turn.
small, cheap upgrade on the motor/fan, curious to see what she's like now

cheap buy at hobby king $99US, great value i reckon
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:04 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
788 Posts
I bought the FMS from hobbyking for $99. I think it was $28 for shipping via air mail. It is a great EDF jet. I would say it is a pretty good beginner jet. The colors and shapes are bright and easy to orient. Good power but not a screamer. Really stable. I might put a rudder on mine this winter. I had read on the other thread that there was some sucess with that.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Sep 07, 2010, 06:40 PM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlilfan View Post
I bought the FMS from hobbyking for $99. I think it was $28 for shipping via air mail. It is a great EDF jet. I would say it is a pretty good beginner jet. The colors and shapes are bright and easy to orient. Good power but not a screamer. Really stable. I might put a rudder on mine this winter. I had read on the other thread that there was some sucess with that.
personally i dont see a need for a rudder, she does everything as is with ails/elev
these dont like slow turns, perhaps coz of swept-back main wings? i dont know enough about aircraft lol but ya, keep the speed up a bit before banking

one thing with mine- she would never takeoff on grass.
during the rebuild i trimmed an amount off the hinged side of all control surfaces to enable full throw, but particularly elevators so hopefully between new fan/motor/esc & full elev throw it might have half a chance to get off grass, so my dual rate settings are somewhat extreme, but again, yet to try

mine was a tad less than 1:1 thrust stock, now seems just 1:1 only just holds it's own weight vertical, using 2450 4S batt
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:21 PM
United States, NC, King
Joined Mar 2009
160 Posts
What control throws are you guys running?
mgrande11 is offline Find More Posts by mgrande11
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:31 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
OK is there another thread on this bird? What CG is everyone running?
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Oct 05, 2010, 06:20 PM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande11 View Post
What control throws are you guys running?
I run full throw on mine, still docile, but could just be my plane.
In fact I trimmed some angle off the leading edge of ails & elev to give increased throw, particularly the elev's, otherwise I have little chance getting off grass.

To attempt better grass takeoff capability I "upgraded" to a FreeWing fan/motor/esc combo, supposed to be 1.2kg thrust (I dont know what the FMS power plant thrust is, nor do I know the auw), but in all honesty, I've noticed only the very slightest increase in speed, but battery comes out much hotter with slightly shorter run times, not worth the expense IMO- the standard power plant works just fine, unless you wanted to upgrade to a Lander or better.

The last flight incident I had I replaced my main wing set (pls dont ask me why... ) and she has not flown the same since- cg is still the same (from my poor memory, approx 78mm back from air intake lip beside the cockpit), same battery, nothing else has changed, but now flies with a lot of up elev trim... I have no idea, defies logic, perhaps the replacement wingset is slightly different? I cant push the batt any further aft, and I dont want to add weight coz she's already a docile flyer... I dont know... so I've lifted the leading edge of the main wings 4-5mm, hope to try that soon... weather here has been crap, either rain or breezy, so I've been working on my P51 fpv effort.

Off topic a little, I'd love to try & fly the 90mm Alpha edf... already too many planes, not enough time...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2010, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2010
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
OK is there another thread on this bird? What CG is everyone running?
From memory was approx 178mm from air intake lip

I thought there was another FMS Alpha build thread, cant seem to find it now...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:07 PM
United States, NC, King
Joined Mar 2009
160 Posts
Stock fan is garbage I used eddiegigawatts balancing method and everytime I install the spinner it loses balance no matter what position I move it in.
mgrande11 is offline Find More Posts by mgrande11
Last edited by mgrande11; Oct 14, 2010 at 10:00 PM.