SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:47 AM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Why do you feel that the AS3X is detrimental while close to the ground?
Because I am used to flying practically only the Champ and UM T-28, both of which I can land extremely gently and precisely, yes many times with power off but not always.

The AS3X seems to give me a somewhat unnatural feel, perhaps again I am so used to flying and landing the non-stabilized UM planes in wind that it freaks me out a little bit by how stable it remains. I can see it moving around but maintaining heading and it throws me off because I am used to counteracting on my own, and that is the natural way that I use the sticks.

I'm sure I will learn to feel it more as I fly it. I've gotten the basic flying and controls down, using the rudder, etc. while up and flying, no problem. I hand launch anyway and flying around has been a blast, but the landings are killing me. I will endeavor to remember the throttle/elevator combo for the approach.
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:56 PM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
194 Posts
Hi Guys

I would like to read through this whole thread but 999 pages WOW!! Is this plane really that good or what is going on!
I am thinking about getting another plane, I have several Parkzone planes ME-109 ,Wildcat, and the UMP-51.And the Great Plane Fokker DVII, I am thinking about getting the Beast, does it compare to the micro Mustang at all? Can you guys tell me if it is a good plane, is the motor reliable, how it flies etc.

Thanks for any info Sabastian
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:06 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabastian View Post
Hi Guys

I would like to read through this whole thread but 999 pages WOW!! Is this plane really that good or what is going on!
I am thinking about getting another plane, I have several Parkzone planes ME-109 ,Wildcat, and the UMP-51.And the Great Plane Fokker DVII, I am thinking about getting the Beast, does it compare to the micro Mustang at all? Can you guys tell me if it is a good plane, is the motor reliable, how it flies etc.

Thanks for any info Sabastian
Short answer: Get it!

It is a great Hard Aerobatic, light 3D plane. It goes exactly where you point it. For the most part it is very reliable, however HH had a bad shipment of servos recently, so just give it a comprehensive test before you fly for the first time. Also get good batteries, RCBabbel sells some of the best. Don't use the Eflite180s!! Second get a GWS 5030 prop.
If you really want to increase the power you can switch motors to a 2300kv and put a GWS 5043 prop on or go with a 3000kv.

The only con I can really think of is with the thin wings it is not as durable as say an Sbach. Not a con if you don't crash

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:06 PM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Just about lost the upper wing when the wing strut came unglued.

Managed to land okay. Don't know what to do with the crease in the wing.
Reglued the wings to the strut with gorrila glue and checked all of the other connections.

Looks RTF.
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:25 AM
Jagd Flieger
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2011
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Short answer: Get it!

It is a great Hard Aerobatic, light 3D plane. It goes exactly where you point it. For the most part it is very reliable, however HH had a bad shipment of servos recently, so just give it a comprehensive test before you fly for the first time. Also get good batteries, RCBabbel sells some of the best. Don't use the Eflite180s!! Second get a GWS 5030 prop.
If you really want to increase the power you can switch motors to a 2300kv and put a GWS 5043 prop on or go with a 3000kv.

The only con I can really think of is with the thin wings it is not as durable as say an Sbach. Not a con if you don't crash

-Brian
Hello Brian

Thanks for the info about the Beast, I am still deciding what plane to get. I have only warbirds, they are my favourite types of planes. The beast is small and powerful and a biplane, also I like the idea of the brushless motor instead of the Parkzone UM brushed motor like I have on my UMP-51.
A guy in the park where I fly has the E-flite Sbach, when I fly at full throttle with my UM P-51 he flys at the same speed at half throttle. I assume the Beast is similar to the Sbach. Also the new Beasts have the gyro installed which should also fly better.
I have had my UMP-51 for over two years, I find that if you take care of them they are quite durable,so I am not worried about crashing and breaking the plane.

Thanks Marko

So many planes, hard to decide!!!!
Sabastian is offline Find More Posts by Sabastian
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,174 Posts
Quote:
A guy in the park where I fly has the E-flite Sbach, when I fly at full throttle with my UM P-51 he flys at the same speed at half throttle. I assume the Beast is similar to the Sbach. ...
The Beast is slower than the Sbach. It has much more drag. But it is still sufficiently fun for me.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:01 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Hello Brian

Thanks for the info about the Beast, I am still deciding what plane to get. I have only warbirds, they are my favourite types of planes. The beast is small and powerful and a biplane, also I like the idea of the brushless motor instead of the Parkzone UM brushed motor like I have on my UMP-51.
A guy in the park where I fly has the E-flite Sbach, when I fly at full throttle with my UM P-51 he flys at the same speed at half throttle. I assume the Beast is similar to the Sbach. Also the new Beasts have the gyro installed which should also fly better.
I have had my UMP-51 for over two years, I find that if you take care of them they are quite durable,so I am not worried about crashing and breaking the plane.

Thanks Marko

So many planes, hard to decide!!!!
Something must have been wrong with that sbach! my Sbach can fly circles around a UM P-51, That said the Beast is a slower draggier airframe. But it's not meant for going fast. It tumbles, hovers and well pretty much any 3D thing you ask it to do. It is a joy to fly and until my AS3X sbach is finished it is my favorite plane. Finally, the B3D has had no reported failures with 3S packs. Putting a GWS 5030 prop on and running a 3S BabbleBat180 you'll outrun nitro and gas planes!

-Brian
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,174 Posts
Quote:
Something must have been wrong with that sbach! my Sbach can fly circles around a UM P-51, That said the Beast is a slower draggier airframe. But it's not meant for going fast. It tumbles, hovers and well pretty much any 3D thing you ask it to do. It is a joy to fly and until my AS3X sbach is finished it is my favorite plane. Finally, the B3D has had no reported failures with 3S packs. Putting a GWS 5030 prop on and running a 3S BabbleBat180 you'll outrun nitro and gas planes!

-Brian
I used a 5043 on my 3S Sbach. Holy Cr@p!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I used a 5043 on my 3S Sbach. Holy Cr@p!
Music to my ears!

Don't know why my stock Sbach board does so well on 3S power but I sure do like it.
I finally have enough power to get that aggresive 5043 prop to unload in the air.
She is a very aerodynamic & fast 2oz piece-o-foam.
100+ 3S flights on her now.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:50 PM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Nice starboard side livery there RC! I loves me some In-n-Out. We recently got Five Guys in Southern California, which I also love, but it is different. I love them both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
She is a very aerodynamic & fast 2oz piece-o-foam.

rc
Back to your regularly scheduled B3D talk.
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:24 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,240 Posts
Just bought one of these myself! Coudn't let you guys have all the fun. They are still in stock on eBay.

I've got lots o' reading to do
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Just bought one of these myself! Coudn't let you guys have all the fun. They are still in stock on eBay.

I've got lots o' reading to do
yeah only a couple posts short of 1000 pages. Then when you're done you can go read the B3D thread!!

-Brian
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
yeah only a couple posts short of 1000 pages. Then when you're done you can go read the B3D thread!!

-Brian
LOL!! Good thing there are so many helpful people on these threads!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:32 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
LOL!! Good thing there are so many helpful people on these threads!

Joel
Yeah and we all know that Joel give the best advice!

-Brian