Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:11 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
That's the one, Thanks RC!

About that de-oxit stuff? might that cure the nervous center hunting servo without disassembling it? or should I take it apart?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,930 Posts
It's pretty easy - just have a delicate touch I would definitely take apart. Every single servo I've taken apart so far has benefited from it as the contact strip was always a bit dirty.

Lunch time can't come quick enough. I need to fly!

I predict an extended lunch break today.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Wheel Pants Mod

I have to say that the fun-to-weight ratio of the Beast 3D is off the chart! I have a V1 Beast, that I bought when those first came out, and love to fly it but wind was always an issue. I picked up the Beast 3D a month and a half ago and have been having a ball with it. Its ability to handle the wind is simply amazing; I have flown it in gusty 12-15 mph winds, (which, by the way, had my AMR Ultimate biplane tied down in the pits so it would not blow away) with total confidence.

So far I have not had any servo issues after well over 100 flights. I put 20 flights on it last weekend alone. I am using the 180mah HK nano-tech packs which seem to work fine; much better than the e-flight packs that I bought with the V1. After a five minute flight I am still at 3.7v per cell and my CellPro 10s charger will charge them up in 12-15 minutes.

The only problem that I have had was that, after a while, the wheel pants started turning on the axle. I tried a dab of CA on the end of the axle but that did not help for long. Sometimes they would turn upside down while in flight and I would land on the pants instead of the wheels. I thought about taking them off but kind of liked the way they looked but they were getting all scratched up. Then I had a brainstorm; I found a little bit of black thread, tied it around the landing gear and tacked it in place with a drop of CA. Then I tacked each end of the thread to the front and back of each wheel pant with a drop of CA. This has worked fine to hold the wheel pants in proper alignment for several weeks.

Attached is a picture of my uber Beast 3D wheel pant thread mod!
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Writer View Post
The only problem that I have had was that, after a while, the wheel pants started turning on the axle. ...
Thanks for the mod. But if your wheel pants are still even on after even as little as 20 flights, you're doing better than almost all of us!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2009
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Thanks for the mod. But if your wheel pants are still even on after even as little as 20 flights, you're doing better than almost all of us!
Oh, I have knocked them off a few times but I just glued them back on!
Sky Writer is offline Find More Posts by Sky Writer
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:11 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,930 Posts
Well the servo gear wasn't the whole prob as I replaced that and it still locked. So I took a spare servo apart and attached it to the board. Success!

Flew three packs through it without a single lockup. I can fly at ease now! Flies really well. I do like it, but I still want another Sbach.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, CT, Thompson
Joined Mar 2007
52 Posts
Quick question for you experienced pilots. The Beast is great and I love flying it. I still find landings difficult though especially with no head wind. The front seems to drop quickly and I feel like I am carrying to much speed to the ground to avoid a hard drop on the landing gear. I think I might be flying her too nose heavy and that might be causing my difficulty. I am also flying with low rates which limits my ability to raise the nose quickly towards the end of the landing. Any advise on how to bring her in slow and easy would be appreciated. Also would a nose heavy CG make landings more difficult? Thanks for the help.
Lwsroc240 is offline Find More Posts by Lwsroc240
Last edited by Lwsroc240; Jul 01, 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:49 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwsroc240 View Post
Quick question for you experienced pilots. The Beast is great and I love flying it. I still find landings difficult though especially with no head wind. The front seems to drop quickly and I feel like I am carrying to much speed to the ground to avoid a hard drop on the landing gear. I think I might be flying her too nose heavy and that might be causing my difficulty. I am also flying with low rates which limits my ability to raise the nose quickly towards the end of the landing. Any advise on how to bring her in slow and easy would be appreciated. Also would a nose heavy CG make landings more difficult? Thanks for the help.
A couple of things...
  • Typically, a nose heavy plane is easier to land so I don't think that's your issue unless it's just WAY nose heavy.
  • Landing on low rates is easier than landing on high rates. Many people that fly 3D type aircraft with HUGE throws switch to low rates in they are doing a traditional landing (as opposed to harrier landing).
  • You could actually be TAIL heavy and this is what's causing your issues but I can know for sure without further information.

Now... having said all that lets start out with getting your CG right. As a starting point, put your battery about 2/3 of the way under the lip of the cowl (with the hatch off).

Make sure your elevator surface is roughly level with the horizontal stab. Zero out any elevator trim then adjust your pushrod mechanically if necessary.

Take off and get straight and level with about 60% throttle (anywhere from 50-60% works just don't go full throttle yet). Fly hands off for a few seconds and see what happens. Does the nose fall? Does she climb? If the nose falls then you're nose heavy. If she climbs then your tail heavy. Nose heavy=move the battery back. Tail heavey=move the battery forward.

Once you've tweaked that and gotten your CG close. Take her back up and flip to inverted at 50-60% throttle. If the nose falls then she's nose heavy. You know the drill. Now the one thing I'll say is that the nose may fall SLIGHTLY. Meaning that over about a 100 foot distance she may drop slightly in altitude. You're just looking for major movements.

Once you've got that right it's time to think about how you approach your landings. Think about controlling your rate of descent with throttle and your ground speed with elevator. The less throttle the faster the rate of descent. The more elevator the slower the ground speed.

Give yourself plenty of room. Get lined up on approach. Drop throttle to about 35-40%. Let the plane enter a nice slow glide slop towards the ground. As she gets closer to your desired landing position adjust decent rate and ground speed as described above.

With a little practice you'll be landing your Beast smoothly and exactly where you want to every single time. Avoid downwind landings.

The Beast will land at a very slow speed and VERY gracefully.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2007
52 Posts
Turnerm,

That was a very detailed response. I appreciate the help. Based on your CG explanation above, I feel the CG is close, as inverted flight does cause only a very minor decent. However, I think your explanation helped me identify my problem. While I was using throttle to control rate of decent I was not using the elevator to control ground speed. I would only apply up elevator at the very end to lift the nose just before touch down. I think this is what caused the plane to come in so hot. The next time I am out I will definitely experiment with using the elevator to control speed. I think this will solve my problem. With a head wind, the speed of the plane was already slower and my landings were much more controlled. Thanks again for your help. I will report back with my progress.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:54 PM
Joined Mar 2007
52 Posts
Turnerm,

I just got back from the field, and did about 15-20 landings. The 1st few were rough, but I got the hang of it. Using the elevator more to control the speed was the key. You were right the Beast will slow right down when you coordinate the elevator and throttle. I still need a little more practice but my landings are much softer now. Thanks again for the help.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:13 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwsroc240 View Post
Turnerm,

I just got back from the field, and did about 15-20 landings. The 1st few were rough, but I got the hang of it. Using the elevator more to control the speed was the key. You were right the Beast will slow right down when you coordinate the elevator and throttle. I still need a little more practice but my landings are much softer now. Thanks again for the help.
Excellent! Glad I could help. TurboParker helped me with this a while back so I'm just passing it along!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:34 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Well been flying my nice new shiny B3D and had a horror moment today, it seems like the clear canopy came off mid flight!!! I cant believe how much it affected the little rascal, I thought the elevator servo was stuck and it just kept looping tried to let the power off but it just kept trying to go vertical and stalling, after a min of fighting with it I realised it was getting very close to a main road so had to power on and just keep it looping and off it went into the distance. As soon as it was a dot in the sky and over a safe area I cut the power and gave up!!!!! 2 hours later I found it and am amazed the only damage was the small lugs from the front cover had been broken off and a small crack!!!!!! I checked on google maps and the little Beast had crashed 700m away from my take off and still doesnt look as beaten up as my first B3D so lesson learnt check that bloody cockpit canopy!!!!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:53 AM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
So ... how many of you guys are using expo with the V2 Beast? Expo always seems to make it harder to handle, to me.

I received my replacement B3D from Horizon yesterday. I nearly killed it yesterday when attempting to maiden it at dusk. Yeah ... fortunately all was well with no damage whatsoever.

Today I flew three batts down at the local park. The Beast is really challenging for me to fly still, I haven't mastered it yet. I definitely got some good practice time in today however, but I need to get the hang of landing it. I had one minor crash landing in that manner, and one low level crash with no real damage either.

This bird is heavier than my Champ/UM T-28, and somehow for me very tough to handle close to the ground. The AS3X is kind of detrimental in this space, and it would be great to be able to toggle the AS3X on and off here. Maybe I just need to get used to it more.

After that I flew three batts through my light-equipped UM T-28 including a very tall climbout and glide down to a perfect landing. The T-28 seems so much more predictable for me vs the B3D, probably because I'm just used to flying it in the wind so much. It was a good flying day.
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:54 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marke14 View Post
So ... how many of you guys are using expo with the V2 Beast? Expo always seems to make it harder to handle, to me.
The manual says to use no expo and that's what I do. It flies great that way.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:38 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The manual says to use no expo and that's what I do. It flies great that way.
Same here, no expo! (And I usually love having a lot of expo!).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler