HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Performance will be severely limited as compared to a Hyperion 180 mAh 3s pack, due to the very high internal resistance of Eflite LiPos and the additional connector & wiring loss.
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. For the moment I'm happy if I can prop hang, outrun the wind and have the odd burst of power to get out of trouble. There's a limit to how fast I want to drill my Beast into the ground!

Quote:
Eflite LiPos are extremely low on power as compared to Hyperion & Thunder Power
I am curious what maximum 3s power would feel like. Flying in 26mph winds must be quite a kick!
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
I am curious what maximum 3s power would feel like. Flying in 26mph winds must be quite a kick!
It seems to be faster in the vertical on 3S than it was in the horizontal on 2S. I say "seems" because it could be a delusion brought on by the "holy cr@p" response to a full throttle vertical. But it is pretty spectacular and I don't doubt the 300 watts/lb figure bandied about. It seems more powerful than my Slick 51 @ 260 watts/lb.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Last edited by erkq; Jun 24, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,573 Posts
Ok so I took my beast on vacation, and it flew just fine. When I got it home, I noticed the elevator is pitched up. The controlling wire looks unchanged, and the servo is moving equally both ways, but the elevator is now about 1/4" up from center. I can adjust it via subtrim, but then I dont get full down throw. Is there any easy way to adjust the length of the control wire? I just cannot comprehend how this happened when it flew fine before, was packed in its box and then it changed. Anyone else had this happen??
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:44 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,935 Posts
Quote:
I can adjust it via subtrim,
Don't do that! AS3X interprets that as stick movement and can cause some strange flying. Ascertain if the servo output arm is centered when the Tx is sending neutral position with no trim or subtrim. If not the servo is defective. If so inspect the linkage. You will most likely have to open the plane to do this.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:46 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Ok so I took my beast on vacation, and it flew just fine. When I got it home, I noticed the elevator is pitched up. The controlling wire looks unchanged, and the servo is moving equally both ways, but the elevator is now about 1/4" up from center. I can adjust it via subtrim, but then I dont get full down throw. Is there any easy way to adjust the length of the control wire? I just cannot comprehend how this happened when it flew fine before, was packed in its box and then it changed. Anyone else had this happen??
Can't figure why it did that, but to adjust without any trim, you simply close/squeeze or stretch the little U bend in the elevator linkage. In your case, you'll likely have to squeeze it. I would also double check the linkage itself carefully though, since it could be coming loose, under the heatshrink tubing (elevator end, or worst case, near the Rx). If it's loose, it would explain the elevator going up has it's could be coming out of the heatshrink tubing itself, and is now a little bit longer... Give it a little tug and see if you can stretch it more, if that's the case, you have to push it back and glue it again with C.A. You may have also simply hit the elevator, without noticing it, last time you stored it inside the box.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:49 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
H,

Did the Z bend slide into the horn?

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:57 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
Don't do that! AS3X interprets that as stick movement and can cause some strange flying. Ascertain if the servo output arm is centered when the Tx is sending neutral position with no trim or subtrim. If not the servo is defective. If so inspect the linkage. You will most likely have to open the plane to do this.
Gary
This is V1, no AS3X.

The z-bend is correctly in place, and the shrink tube over the joint is not loose.

Still really bugs me how it moved this much, but I'll adjust by pinching the U bend.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like a good 'down & dirty' method of trying 3s for someone who is cash-strapped & happens to have a few mCP X cells sitting around! However, I would not recommend it as a permanent solution for running 3s in these planes, nor would I recommend it to those who can afford to either buy a 3s Babbelbatt or roll their own. Performance will be severely limited as compared to a Hyperion 180 mAh 3s pack, due to the very high internal resistance of Eflite LiPos and the additional connector & wiring loss. Eflite LiPos are extremely low on power as compared to Hyperion & Thunder Power, and they only last for 20-30 cycles before fading away. Also, they take forever to charge! In contrast - the Hyp & TP packs put out far more power, they can be charged in 15 minutes or less, they last for many hundreds of cycles, and they are less-expensive than Eflite LiPos.

Joel

I followed Joel’s advice and contacted RC Babbel for some good batts to replace my stock V1 Beast batts which have worn out and won’t recharge fully anymore. I tend to fly with stock motors and props most of the time, so RC fixed me up with a couple of his Hyperion 180 combos.

Was Joel ever right! All I can say is...WOW! They are an UNBELIEVABLE IMPROVEMENT over the stock batts...even when those were new! Smooth takeoff and nice flight. She is a dream! Felt even better control. Inverted her and she took very little elevator to keep her level...at 1/2 throttle! At just over 1/2 throttle, she did beautiful harriers, hovers, and started nice torque rolls! Smooth, easy, grease-in landing.

To save the new batts, I didn't try knife edge or other more aggressive pattern aerobatics, since they will require more throttle. I'll do those after I get more flights on the batts and “break ‘em in” as RC Babbel recommends.

Next day, same thing…plus “semi-harrier” very slow close flybys that appeared to be as slow if not slower than the UM T-28! Sweet!!!

The batts charged up within 15-20 mins on their stock charger and my Triton 2. I could check the balance on the Beast batts using my Spy-eye +, and that reading came out perfect…staying balanced (with Astroflight Blinky on the Triton 2) and using only 30-60% charge. If they continue recharging like this, and I have no reason to think they won't, that will solve my Beast batt problem for good.

! Go RC Babbel !
! Buy Babbel Batts !

--Tom

PS: Now I have to decide whether or not to buy a 3D Beast. This V1 flys so beautifully, I think, “Why?” Get the new UM Spit instead and wait for a park flyer size Beast to come out next year. But then, I know the B3D flys differently, and maybe I should retire her in memory of Bryan before anything bad happens to her. Decisions, decisions!
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Well, I managed to upload the other video from yesterday. Still need to figure out why some videos don't process properly. Anyway, here it is

http://youtu.be/l8WdC8gSKFs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. For the moment I'm happy if I can prop hang, outrun the wind and have the odd burst of power to get out of trouble. There's a limit to how fast I want to drill my Beast into the ground!

Grovey,

Nice flying! Looks like you're progressing quickly with the hover/high-alpha stuff. Love your flying site! Do others also fly there?

Jcansdale,

Regarding how max 3s power feels - well, it is instantly addicting! Having over 300W/pound on tap is such a heady feeling that it is difficult to describe. First off, any aerobatic maneuver that has ever been thought of can be accomplished at 50% throttle or less. Scale aerobatics and pattern flying only require the bottom third of the throttle stick. Throttle-response is immediate, and acceleration is brutal. 100-foot vertical climbs only require a brief flick of the throttle stick. Nail the throttle for just 4-5 seconds during a vertical climb & the plane becomes a dot in the sky. We're talking about thrust-to-weight ratios in the 4:1 range, here. To put that into perspective, 4 Gs of acceleration is right up there in Space Shuttle/manned rocket territory. Funny Cars & Top Fuel dragsters are the only manned vehicles that accelerate quicker than that.

Yet the plane can still 'out-slow-fly' a UM Champ!

Reports of grown pilots giggling & laughing out loud during the flight (much like kids in a candy store) are common. I handed the tx to one of my flying buddies, who happens to be an accomplished RC aerobatic pilot, as well as a full-scale airline pilot & flight-instructor. Less than a minute into the flight, he was already chuckling & laughing as he put the plane through its paces. After the flight, he said that he had never flown anything in any scale that could even come close to that level of performance. He was still grinning as he walked back to the pits.

Flying the B3D on 3s in the wind is so much fun that I'm often still chuckling as I head back to the pits after a good 'wind-surfing' flight. There is plenty of reserve power on tap, even when flying in 25+ MPH headwinds. I flew it in a 37 MPH wind at one of our club events a few weeks ago. The looks on the pilots' faces were priceless! I had no trouble making headway, and there was still adequate reserve power on tap. However, extremely high peak G-loads are created when AS3X compensates for heavy turbulence at such a high airspeed. It did cause some structural damage. I don't think I'll be trying for 40 MPH.

The phrase 'drunk on power' comes to mind - however, that doesn't even describe the feeling fully.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:29 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
Damn. You got me wanting to try 3S on my B3D
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
First off, any aerobatic maneuver that has ever been thought of can be accomplished at 50% throttle or less. Scale aerobatics and pattern flying only require the bottom third of the throttle stick. Throttle-response is immediate, and acceleration is brutal.
There isn't a case where too much is too much? If you fly scale aerobatics and pattern while using only one third of the stick for throttle, then, you have less overall throttle resolution/accuracy, which, may not be as important as any other control input, but is still helpful anyway. Even something like a simple loop look better when adjusting your throttle carefully as you're going up, or as you exit the loop. Having to do it one only one third of the stick travel cannot be as accurate/smooth as using full stick.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Damn. You got me wanting to try 3S on my B3D
You should try it. No one has damaged a Beast 3D with 3S yet. The worst that can happen is you discover your ESC isn't up to it and the motor cuts out. So fly carefully at first, always having a landing scenario in mind. Don't get yourself into unrecoverable positions... altitude is your friend.

Then if you find your ESC craps out you can do cooling mods, like I had to. I forget which Beast thread I posted the pics to... radical, but it works for me.

I can't get an AS3X Beast board to run in an Sbach, so I did a cooling mod for that on my "beater" Sbach... the one I experiment on. Now it flies great and never cuts out. So now I've got a UM Sbach with AS3X running on 3S with a 2300kv motor and 5043 prop. I just got back from flying it. Wow! I gotta ask, what more do I need??
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
There isn't a case where too much is too much? If you fly scale aerobatics and pattern while using only one third of the stick for throttle, then, you have less overall throttle resolution/accuracy, which, may not be as important as any other control input, but is still helpful anyway. Even something like a simple loop look better when adjusting your throttle carefully as you're going up, or as you exit the loop. Having to do it one only one third of the stick travel cannot be as accurate/smooth as using full stick.
Yeah... I run into this. Is there expo on the throttle? I haven't even looked. I guess there's a throttle curve on the DX8. Keep is reasonable and then have the nitrous button engage at the end of the throw. But even so, it's terribly fun!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:16 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yeah... I run into this. Is there expo on the throttle? I haven't even looked. I guess there's a throttle curve on the DX8. Keep is reasonable and then have the nitrous button engage at the end of the throw. But even so, it's terribly fun!
I think the DX8 is the ticket for airplanes, but only way on DX7 and DX6i is to setup for a heli (they have a throttle curve) but bind the airplane with it. (Basically, you see a little heli icon, but you fly an airplane with a throttle curve). Not sure about expo as it was never needed until now... Somebody will likely fill in.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I think the DX8 is the ticket for airplanes, but only way on DX7 and DX6i is to setup for a heli (they have a throttle curve) but bind the airplane with it. (Basically, you see a little heli icon, but you fly an airplane with a throttle curve). Not sure about expo as it was never needed until now... Somebody will likely fill in.
I fly with the DX8 but I just discovered I left the charger with my in-laws in a different state! Back to the DX6i for now or figure out what the DX8 needs to charge. I'll go over to the radio threads and see if there's some info on that.