HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:15 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I might just try it and see how it does. I tried to make it fail like I have read some on here doing and it seems to be fine right now. It might be ok like you said. Guess I will know after several more flights. I mainly bought it to learn how biplanes flew since I got a Ultimate so maybe it will last long enough to get me some experiance with a bipe before I jump to the bigger one.
Before this last month the reported failures on the B3D were very sparse, not saying there wasn't the occasional failure but in general they were pretty reliable.

I'd definitely fly it. Especially if you've tested it and there are no problems. Biplanes fly just like any other plane, just remember that there is a bit more drag and the plane will slow down faster. Land under power, don't glide it in. The beast is nice in that there is basically no coupling and the rolls are nice and axial. Also if this is your first AS3X plane make sure you use rudder! Coordinate turns and don't let that left thumb get lazy when the plane gets slow.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Before this last month the reported failures on the B3D were very sparse, not saying there wasn't the occasional failure but in general they were pretty reliable.

I'd definitely fly it. Especially if you've tested it and there are no problems. Biplanes fly just like any other plane, just remember that there is a bit more drag and the plane will slow down faster. Land under power, don't glide it in. The beast is nice in that there is basically no coupling and the rolls are nice and axial. Also if this is your first AS3X plane make sure you use rudder! Coordinate turns and don't let that left thumb get lazy when the plane gets slow.

-Brian
Thanks for the heads up. We are suppose to go to the flying field tomorrow to fly my first glow powered plane so I will take it along with me to fly in between and see how it does.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
... We are suppose to go to the flying field tomorrow to fly my first glow powered plane ...
Oh, ick! why? Those things drove me out of the hobby 25 years ago. The cleanup alone...

Of course my first .60 pattern plane with an 18% wing (not even build for speed) did 100 mph, so there is that.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Oh, ick! why? Those things drove me out of the hobby 25 years ago. The cleanup alone...

Of course my first .60 pattern plane with an 18% wing (not even build for speed) did 100 mph, so there is that.
I actually bought my glow planes, Tower Hobbies .40 size trainer and Senior Telemaster off a guy to learn with, but I bought my T28 and just haven't gotten to fly them yet. lol I wanted something bigger and with that sound of the engine purring just to try out. I got both planes with engines for $300 never flown. The OS .91 4 stroke on the Telemaster is worth that much so I couldn't turn them down.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:39 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Well, I managed to upload the other video from yesterday. Still need to figure out why some videos don't process properly. Anyway, here it is

Beast 3D 6/21/2012 Part 2 (3 min 52 sec)
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Well, I managed to upload the other video from yesterday. Still need to figure out why some videos don't process properly. Anyway, here it is

http://youtu.be/l8WdC8gSKFs
What a great place to fly. I really like the smooth concrete to take off and land on. I have a very scenic place to fly with 9000 ft. mountains and a 14,000 volcano in the background but have to land on a high school track oval made of recycled tires. It's very rough to land on and abrasive as I found out on my first crash.
Nice flying. I hope to get a Beast someday. First I have to move up from my Champ to a T-28.
Keep up the good videos.
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Swarthmore, PA 19081
Joined Dec 2004
2,839 Posts
LHS has one of these. Held off till i did some research. He didn't say anything about the product going back to horizon when i was there but now i'm leary of the servo issue. Think i'll wait.
Doug Bateman is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bateman
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
arrruuuuugggghhhhh. I lost another elevator servo!!!! This is the one I replaced. All of the other servos on the plane work just fine. It is doing the same thing the first one did too. I'm wondering if there is too much voltage going to the elevator servo or something like that.
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
What a great place to fly. I really like the smooth concrete to take off and land on. I have a very scenic place to fly with 9000 ft. mountains and a 14,000 volcano in the background but have to land on a high school track oval made of recycled tires. It's very rough to land on and abrasive as I found out on my first crash.
Nice flying. I hope to get a Beast someday. First I have to move up from my Champ to a T-28.
Keep up the good videos.
Mike
Thanks for your kind words Mike! Yeah it is nice to have some concrete to land on. This basketball court is a perfect for take offs and landings.

Wow your flying area sounds epic!

You will love the T-28, when will you be upgrading?
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:24 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
arrruuuuugggghhhhh. I lost another elevator servo!!!! This is the one I replaced. All of the other servos on the plane work just fine. It is doing the same thing the first one did too. I'm wondering if there is too much voltage going to the elevator servo or something like that.
Is the motor burnt out or is the servo locking up?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:10 AM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Is the motor burnt out or is the servo locking up?
The servo slows down and then locks up but it will recenter eventually. I move it again and it just slows down and locks up. I'll look into it more closely when I get some time.
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:17 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,121 Posts
Beast 3D with MCP X booster battery

I've been itching to experience the joys of 3s, but have been reluctant to buy a bunch of new batteries or deal with a tangle of adaptor cables.

Since I have lots of Blade MCP X (200mah/25C) batteries handy, I thought I'd give it the 3s boost by splicing in a second battery connector. It seems the the hole where the servo leads come out is a great place to stick a second battery, right on the C of G!

This modification is as simple as posting through the battery connector and soldering a couple of wires. If you have an MCP X, you might find it a good solution.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
I've been itching to experience the joys of 3s, but have been reluctant to buy a bunch of new batteries or deal with a tangle of adaptor cables.
Nice idea... Lipo have to be in about the same shape, but that's about it! Well done.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post

Since I have lots of Blade MCP X (200mah/25C) batteries handy, I thought I'd give it the 3s boost by splicing in a second battery connector. It seems the the hole where the servo leads come out is a great place to stick a second battery, right on the C of G!

This modification is as simple as posting through the battery connector and soldering a couple of wires. If you have an MCP X, you might find it a good solution.

Sounds like a good 'down & dirty' method of trying 3s for someone who is cash-strapped & happens to have a few mCP X cells sitting around! However, I would not recommend it as a permanent solution for running 3s in these planes, nor would I recommend it to those who can afford to either buy a 3s Babbelbatt or roll their own. Performance will be severely limited as compared to a Hyperion 180 mAh 3s pack, due to the very high internal resistance of Eflite LiPos and the additional connector & wiring loss. Eflite LiPos are extremely low on power as compared to Hyperion & Thunder Power, and they only last for 20-30 cycles before fading away. Also, they take forever to charge! In contrast - the Hyp & TP packs put out far more power, they can be charged in 15 minutes or less, they last for many hundreds of cycles, and they are less-expensive than Eflite LiPos.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 24, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Thanks for your kind words Mike! Yeah it is nice to have some concrete to land on. This basketball court is a perfect for take offs and landings.

Wow your flying area sounds epic!

You will love the T-28, when will you be upgrading?
Can't wait for the T-28. I ordered it 3 weeks ago, pre-order. Finally arrived with one dent in the shipping box. Right on top of the vert. stabilizer. It was bent over and cracked. Only place on that box that would have done damage. I've had helicopters sent all the way from China without a scratch. So...back to MN. 5days plus weekend, 5 days back to California plus weekend, plus processing. Should have it by 4th of July, one month since my order! I'll be really ready for it as I'm using the time to research and learn. I'll be joining you "Beasty" guys around Sept. with any luck (and better packaging and shipping).
Mike
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike