SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
219 Posts
My rudder servo was getting stuck first day out of the box. I got that fixed and now my elevator servo is getting stuck. I've spent more time fixing this thing than flying it. So before this thing turns itself into a bunch of little foam pieces I'm gonna try to get my money back.
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:05 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
After seeing all these issues with the Beast I think I'm going to just sell mine before something happens.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 18, 2012, 09:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
After seeing all these issues with the Beast I think I'm going to just sell mine before something happens.
I assume you're talking about the Beast 3D? If so, when did you buy the plane & how many flights are on it?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:09 AM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Yes the 3D with the gyro system. I got it in January. It was what I bought with my Christmas gift card I got. I flew it for about 5 minutes the other day. Thats the only flight on it.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:12 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Fear is a horrible thing.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:00 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,551 Posts
It is starting to look like that bad batch of servos that have been plaguing the CC also found their way into that last container of B3Ds as well.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:39 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
I hear you.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:24 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,768 Posts
Static RPM testing - Thunder Power G6 325 mAh 65c 2s 'Babbelbatt'

Finally got a chance to do some static RPM testing with the Thunder Power G6 325 mAh 65c 2s 'Babbelbatt'. The pack only has 5 cycles on it. If they're anything like the Hyperions, they'll take 50-70 cycles just to break-in, so performance aught to improve somewhat. Nevertheless, it still provides the best thrust-to-weight ratio of the group. I didn't test it on the 2300Kv/5043 combo, given that I only saw a 100 RPM difference between a Hyp 180 & Hyp 240 during my previous tests.

Static RPM testing

RPM taken under natural light with a calibrated optical tach, 20 sec into each run on a freshly-charged pack.

Elevation: 910 ft AMSL
Temp: 70 F
Motor: 3000Kv
Prop: GWS 5030

-------------- Weight (g) --- RPM ---- Thrust (g)* - Speed (MPH)**

Hyp 450 ----- 25.28 ------- 12980 ----- 161 ----------- 36.90
THP 325 ---- 20.80 ------- 12800 ----- 156 ----------- 36.36
Hyp 320 ----- 18.80 ------- 12600 ----- 151 ----------- 35.80
Hyp 240 ----- 14.46 ------- 12240 ----- 142 ----------- 34.80

*Calculated using the GWS prop spreadsheet
**Calculated pitch-speed. Prop slippage and in-flight unloading not taken into account.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:12 PM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
219 Posts
JoshB, I can see other people are flying this thing without having problems. If you got yours in Janurary you might be OK. I just got mine, and as I said it was bad out of the Box. Horizon is going to send me a completely new board to replace the one I have. I'm willing to give it a try. Of course if I end up with the same problems I'm having now they will have lost a customer forever.
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:33 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Video time again

Still trying to learn how to hover, I think I may need some more elevator authority, or perhaps more power?

I have another video, but for some reason I am getting artifacts on my videos during the rendering process. I need to figure out why.

UMX Beast 3D 6/21/2012 Part 1 (5 min 3 sec)
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Video time again

Still trying to learn how to hover, I think I may need some more elevator authority, or perhaps more power?

I have another video, but for some reason I am getting artifacts on my videos during the rendering process. I need to figure out why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjUrOucs9aU
Nice flying again! The Beast isn't the easiest plane to learn to hover on. It has enough elevator authority and enough power, both stock out of the box... But just barely. I'm sure the power out ability is WAY MORE than sufficient on the 3s setups these guys are running. I plan on trying it soon.

But with a stock (or mostly stock) setup you have to be quick on the sticks to both keep it in hover and to exit out gracefully. Once it starts coming out of hover there's usually not an easy way back so you're better off getting comfortable with flying out in whatever orientation it falls into. This is easier said than done but with (lots of) practice you'll get it. And once you've got it everything else just starts coming around too (KE flight in both directions, inverted harrier, etc).

Keep up the practice though... It's looking good!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:55 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Thanks Turnerm!

I will definitely be practicing more yeah and you are right, when I come out of hovering, I have to think quick, and have to fly inverted if necessary.

I am getting more comfortable, but KE is still daunting, I got a long way to go there.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Thanks Turnerm!

I will definitely be practicing more yeah and you are right, when I come out of hovering, I have to think quick, and have to fly inverted if necessary.

I am getting more comfortable, but KE is still daunting, I got a long way to go there.
A good simulator is perfect for practicing KE and inverted harriers.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:12 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
A good simulator is perfect for practicing KE and inverted harriers.
I do need to spend more time on the sim. I have Realflight 6 on my windows machine, and for some reason the models have no textures, making it difficult to judge orientation. I may need to run windows on a virtual machine on my Mac and see if that will run the simulator better.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
JoshB, I can see other people are flying this thing without having problems. If you got yours in Janurary you might be OK. I just got mine, and as I said it was bad out of the Box. Horizon is going to send me a completely new board to replace the one I have. I'm willing to give it a try. Of course if I end up with the same problems I'm having now they will have lost a customer forever.
I might just try it and see how it does. I tried to make it fail like I have read some on here doing and it seems to be fine right now. It might be ok like you said. Guess I will know after several more flights. I mainly bought it to learn how biplanes flew since I got a Ultimate so maybe it will last long enough to get me some experiance with a bipe before I jump to the bigger one.