HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:52 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
If it were me Jim, I would remove the gear and sand down the teeth by ~0.1mm to get a more free feeling meshing of the pinion.
I'm not saying burs can't be an issue, but a much more common issue I have personally found on these, both in airplanes and especially in my mcpx, is that dirt and wear is found in the slider portion. Often just a little spritz of tuner cleaner/lubricant can restore them to operation, but sometimes I've had to disassemble them and rebuild, including picking and choosing parts from two servos to make one good one. I've also run across a loose gear on the shaft (slipping), bad motor, slipping motor (out of plastic holder), pinched wire, bad solder connection.

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Had a blast with the Beast 3D today.

I did my first torque rolls and prop hanging! I took some video which I need to upload.

I did have my first crash though (immortalized on film), but the Beast took it in stride!

What a fun plane, I had not flown it in quite some time, and hope to fly some more soon. I managed to get 4 packs in today.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:02 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Had a blast with the Beast 3D today.

I did my first torque rolls and prop hanging! I took some video which I need to upload.

I did have my first crash though (immortalized on film), but the Beast took it in stride!

What a fun plane, I had not flown it in quite some time, and hope to fly some more soon. I managed to get 4 packs in today.
Cool! Looking forward to the video!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Here it is

There was one torque roll in this video, wasn't too impressive yet but getting there, just need to practice some more.

As always, watch in 720p as my GoPro makes objects seems really far away. The higher resolution when viewing will help.

Beast 3D aerobatics (7 min 38 sec)
Last edited by grovey; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
That's one thing I like about the Beast... Doesn't look like it, but that little biplan is much tougher than you think it is... Thin wings, but the "truss" design make the whole wing structure very hard. Only weak point is the bottom wing near the fuselage, but a little carbon fiber there fix that problem.

Must have crashed my original Beast V1 over 20 times, and it's still flying today. As long as you fly over grass, it just bounce back and keep flying. And I had some very HARD crashes... Many of them on videos as well!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:11 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Hehe yeah, it is not as flimsy as some may think.

I re-uploaded my video above, as there were some nasty artifacts on my first generation of the video.

This plane does not care too much about wind, flew 2 more battery backs a bit ago, and the wind was blowing/gusting a tad. It is fun letting the plane just hang or fly slowly into the wind.

Looking forward to taking this plane out more often. I have to divvy up my flying time amongst other planes too, but I will be flying this plane a lot more. These UMs sure are fun, and I can't wait until the MiG lands.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Grovey,

Nice flying! Congrats on your first torque-roll! Enjoyed the 'stationary aerobatics'. Sounded like the wind was pretty strong later into the flight. Any idea how strong it was?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Grovey,

Nice flying! Congrats on your first torque-roll! Enjoyed the 'stationary aerobatics'. Sounded like the wind was pretty strong later into the flight. Any idea how strong it was?

Joel
Thanks Joel!

The wind was stout, not entirely sure how much, I looked online and it stated if I remember correctly about 9mph but I am not sure how accurate that was. Later on the station reported 13mph too. So I am sure it was constantly changing and that there were gusts. The mic on this camera may also be sensitive.

On terra firma at times the wind would start pushing the plane back. The plane was getting buffeted on the ground and I was curious as to wether the AS3X system would get to initialize properly. I would try stabilize it with my hand as best I could.

I can't wait to fly some more and practice some more. I did some albeit short knife edges, and some inverted flying, but I need to build up some more nerve and skill so I can sustain maneuvers for longer.

I think I am going to buy a wind gauge so I can accurately report on wind speed, any recommendations?
Last edited by grovey; Jun 16, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,746 Posts
T.R.A.M.P.S Air Show

Today I was at my local AMA club's annual Air Show. It was 95* and winds were 15-18 Gusting to 20+ directly across the runway. Isn't that always how it is?

Anyways there were not very many people flying because of the conditions. So I figured I'd give the crowd something to watch, well the ones with good vision anyways. I pulled out the B3D and handed the announcer my ID card and said I'm flying this (showed him the B3D). He tried not to laugh and said good luck with a grin. He made a point to announce it as "Brian flying a huge bi-plane". I could here a few chuckles behind me as I had me spotter raise the Takeoff-Landing paddle which by the way is larger than the plane. Pointed it into the wind and proceeded to take off facing directly at the crowd but actually flying backwards away! It took about 2/3 throttle on 2S to maintain position but that wasn't a problem. I threw down some stationary slow rolls, stationary KE, and some huge loops as when she pointed up she moved away REALLY fast. Finished it off with a vertical landing right beside me. I think there was almost as much applause after that flight as some of the jet flights earlier that day before the winds picked up.

Most of my club hasn't seen the B3D in action. When I was walking back under the tent I had 4 members all asking to hold it and check it out. Oh and the announcer that was giving me a hard time was right over there as well. He said he was shocked and that before the flight he that the plane was going to be in the trees 100yds downwind the field.

So there you go the B3D was flying when there were at least 15 100cc planes sitting on the ground!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:23 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Brian.

Great story! I have had similar experiences when 'wind-surfing' the B3D during club events. Most of the regular members are now used to seeing me fly it in 20+ MPH winds. However, many of those who attend our events are completely unfamiliar with the plane & AS3X. Their reactions are priceless!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 02:55 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Having fun with the Beast 3D in a light breeze.

E-flite UMX Beast 3D (1 min 39 sec)
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:35 AM
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Feb 2012
19 Posts
Hi guys got this problem with my beast the elevator servo keeps jamming up just in middle of the flight servo just stop working then have to disconnect the battery, restart and rebind the radio some times several times for the servo start working again. Any one knows where might be the problem ? or if its even fixable problem like that ?
Shivaja is offline Find More Posts by Shivaja
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:05 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Please see my previous few posts addressing this problem.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:02 AM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
628 Posts
Well not a good father,s day, bought my dad a Carbon cub , first flight flight elevator servo stuck , went in from about 100 feet up , a total loss plane destroyed, then flying my beast 3d bringing it in for a landing , i turned into the sun and lost it for 3 seconds which was enough to hit the ground hard, at least i fixed my beast , a little battle scars but good to go , feel bad for my dad hopefully HH will take care of the CC
xlrDALLAS is online now Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Having fun with the Beast 3D in a light breeze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaoB3CUE1Fs
Best camera work I've seen in these forums. Clouds make a great background for visibility. So often I loose the plane in the trees or blue sky watching video.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike