HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Was wondering if the villagers and their lit torches might ambush me on my way to the soapbox....

Mendo
Ha! We'd have to know where you live... including the address.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
I use stock Hyperion 2s 240mah 25c packs and they go a lot deeper in than that.
In fact, I had to attached little tape handles so I could pull them back out.
I'd say almost an inch in from the edge of the opening.
Yup. The factory Hyp 240s weigh 16.5g, while my homebrews only weigh 14.5g. Plus, the natural balance can differ between airframes, due to variations in foam density & the amount of adhesive used.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Ha! We'd have to know where you live... including the address.
No one is depraved enough to bother lol. That reminds me, you will have a pm coming your way in few...

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Well, to all those who flamed me repeatedly for suggesting there may actually be a problem with the gears on the new Beast, it is with disappointment I must inform you all that Jim's 4th Beast also has the same problem(elevator servo locks up). Luckily he was in a position where he managed to get the Beast back down onto the deck with no damage. I told him how to make it fail - he did - and it did. It's a bur on the gear. If very slowly moved, you can make it catch on the pinion and jam. Cycling the servo fast won't do it a it has enough inertia to pass the bur. You have to do it super slow. It was what caused the last one to fail also as Jim and I pulled the 3rd model apart and found it. Jim's pinion had melted and luckily was still floating around inside the model so inspecting it showed us the events that led to the failure just like DonJuan had experienced. The gear locked but the stronger motor now span within the pinion, heating it up until it was soft enough to fly away.

So, by rotating the gear with tweezers via the nose, we could free it up and it would work again - until you moved the stick really slowly - step by step- until the bur caught in the pinion again. We did this several times to show the fault could be replicated repeatedly.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:03 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Well, to all those who flamed me repeatedly for suggesting there may actually be a problem with the gears on the new Beast, it is with disappointment I must inform you all that Jim's 4th Beast also has the same problem(elevator servo locks up). Luckily he was in a position where he managed to get the Beast back down onto the deck with no damage. I told him how to make it fail - he did - and it did. It's a bur on the gear. If very slowly moved, you can make it catch on the pinion and jam. Cycling the servo fast won't do it a it has enough inertia to pass the bur. You have to do it super slow. It was what caused the last one to fail also as Jim and I pulled the 3rd model apart and found it. Jim's pinion had melted and luckily was still floating around inside the model so inspecting it showed us the events that led to the failure just like DonJuan had experienced. The gear locked but the stronger motor now span within the pinion, heating it up until it was soft enough to fly away.

So, by rotating the gear with tweezers via the nose, we could free it up and it would work again - until you moved the stick really slowly - step by step- until the bur caught in the pinion again. We did this several times to show the fault could be replicated repeatedly.
Nitro,

It appears that the last run of Beasts (or at least some of them) also ended up with servos & bricks from the batch with the QC problem. Word is that along with pulling remaining CC stock, HH has also pulled remaining Beast 3D stock to sort it out. Interestingly, the Gee Bee thread has been pretty quiet regarding servo issues.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:28 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
I just lost a servo on my second Beast. The first had a elevator servo freeze, leading to crash. This second Beast had the rudder servo freeze. I have the GeeBee and have had no issues with it.

Wes

Quote:

RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:59 AM
Chicago, USA and Manila, Philippines
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
HELP anyone... i need to replace/remove the a brand new beast's brick that never been flown yet which had a problem with rudder servo and totally locked up.. called HH and they will send me a new brick but the problem is they don't have it in stock and its on backorder.. the beast 3d is also out of stock at this time.

anyway the product support told me its an easy replacement, just "open" it up and remove the "two wires elevator and rudder" then remove the brick and replace everything back in reverse order...

the foolish thing i did is slicing now and removing the half of fuselage and i realized that you cannot removed everything that way but a totally disassemble and that includes the wings and removing all the wires connector! meaning i will ruin a brand new beast aesthetic beauty by the time i re assembled everything plus the time involved..

is there a way "easier than this" to remove the brick?

thanks everyone...

p.s. i bought mine at hobbyzone last week which i believe i bought the "last stock" because after i paid , it automatically become out of stock from their website.. grrrrrrrrr
yurstruly is offline Find More Posts by yurstruly
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
You don't need to take the wings/etc off to replace the brick. Like they said, remove the control rods from the rudder and elevator. Then carefully slice through the silicone-like caulk holding the brick in place and gently pry it loose. Just finished replacing mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurstruly View Post
HELP anyone... i need to replace/remove the a brand new beast's brick that never been flown yet which had a problem with rudder servo and totally locked up.. called HH and they will send me a new brick but the problem is they don't have it in stock and its on backorder.. the beast 3d is also out of stock at this time.

anyway the product support told me its an easy replacement, just "open" it up and remove the "two wires elevator and rudder" then remove the brick and replace everything back in reverse order...

the foolish thing i did is slicing now and removing the half of fuselage and i realized that you cannot removed everything that way but a totally disassemble and that includes the wings and removing all the wires connector! meaning i will ruin a brand new beast aesthetic beauty by the time i re assembled everything plus the time involved..

is there a way "easier than this" to remove the brick?

thanks everyone...

p.s. i bought mine at hobbyzone last week which i believe i bought the "last stock" because after i paid , it automatically become out of stock from their website.. grrrrrrrrr
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:32 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
yurs,

Maybe this ole V1 post with pics will be of some help...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=336

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
yurstruly, I would recommend cleaning the bur off the rudder gear first to see if it clears the problem before removing the board. Use a new exacto blade for the job. It's just a tiny extra bit of plastic between the teeth that needs to be picked off.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
Registered Plane Abuser
Illinois
Joined Jul 2005
221 Posts
I think I'm ready for the actual maiden (with a rudder that works). I went through and very slowly moved all of the control surfaces back and forth to make sure nothing would hang up.
DonJuan is offline Find More Posts by DonJuan
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:52 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,243 Posts
Did you find/remove any burs on the gear? Good luck and let us know how it went.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:38 AM
Chicago, USA and Manila, Philippines
Joined May 2007
153 Posts
thanks for your help guys.. atleast i have a better idea how to disassemble it.. i will definitely inspect the gear if there's any burr stuck in between .. i'm just a little disappointed for having a DOA rudder servos from a brand new Beast and at the same time having it on back order also.. this is the first time had this bad experience after so many purchases of different aircraft from them this past few years.. but still a great customer service from them as usual..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
You don't need to take the wings/etc off to replace the brick. Like they said, remove the control rods from the rudder and elevator. Then carefully slice through the silicone-like caulk holding the brick in place and gently pry it loose. Just finished replacing mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
yurs,

Maybe this ole V1 post with pics will be of some help...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=336

rc
Quote:
yurstruly, I would recommend cleaning the bur off the rudder gear first to see if it clears the problem before removing the board. Use a new exacto blade for the job. It's just a tiny extra bit of plastic between the teeth that needs to be picked off.
yurstruly is offline Find More Posts by yurstruly
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
for the locking servos... I had the balls fall out of the bearing on a mCPx servo causing the screw drive to lock. It's small but can be replaced. Buy a magnetic tray and do you work over it and also magnetize your screw drivers so the tiny little screws stick. I hope this helps.

God Bless Y'all,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:06 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
B3D on 3s in the yard - in HD

Just a short hatcam clip of the B3D on 3s in the yard. Had to try out my new #16 keychain cam. Be sure to watch in 720p!

UMX Beast 3D on 3s - having some fun in the yard - HD (3 min 54 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member