United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
I...
Im getting one, why not.......

Mendo
Cool! I hope it serves you well! Let us know...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
From your own admission, you are speaking from a position of ignorance. Kalmon gives good advice: get a Beast 3D! On 3S, it is, in fact, one of the best flying experiences I've ever had. I do still like my 3DHS AJ Slick 51 better. But I can't fly a 51" plane from my deck!
Agreed, I havent tried any of the as3x stuff, but I have flown my share of stock and non stock sbachs and they are a whole different animal than a beast. The sbach doesnt get blown around or have any of the issues that are the most praised when as3x was tossed in the beast. All Im saying is the sbach isnt the draggy beast and doesnt suffer from the things that everyone is so happy are gone in the beast3d vs the v1 beast. I guess Im buying a B3d to see what the hype is about, as I tend to think a well set up sbach really doesnt need the nannies to fly well, where the draggy, non airfoiled beast gets tossed about quite a bit in the same wind.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
From your own admission, you are speaking from a position of ignorance. Kalmon gives good advice: get a Beast 3D! On 3S, it is, in fact, one of the best flying experiences I've ever had. I do still like my 3DHS AJ Slick 51 better. But I can't fly a 51" plane from my deck!
Erkq,

I agree 100%! Couldn't be stated any better than that!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I can see Im going to get burned at the stake here untill I buy one......I blame you all!!!!!!! lol, I hope the darn thing works and Im sure it will change my opinion. But again all I have been asking for is stuff that works in the 1st place, when it does its brilliant. AS3X isnt going to make flying the pieces of foam that are left when a servo dies and the plane augers, thats all Im saying. Ill take reliable over blow your mind awesome any day, its a crapshoot as to the servos even working at all and as3x does not address that

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:52 AM
Canada, ON, Calabogie
Joined May 2011
261 Posts
Prop

I want to put a GSW 5030 prop on my Beast 3d.
Do I need to buy anything else other than the prop to make it fit?
What can I expect performance wise?
msdumo is offline Find More Posts by msdumo
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:03 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdumo View Post
I want to put a GSW 5030 prop on my Beast 3d.
Do I need to buy anything else other than the prop to make it fit?
What can I expect performance wise?
The GWS 5030 is a direct fit. Not sure about a GSW
Performance is better and flight times are longer! Must be a much more efficient prop. You do need to use quality packs though, Hyperion or MA.

For a real performance increase go for 3000kv/5030 (screamer) or 2300kv/5043 (just about as quick but you cant hear the motor for the servos!)
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:14 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
I can see Im going to get burned at the stake here untill I buy one......I blame you all!!!!!!! lol, I hope the darn thing works and Im sure it will change my opinion. But again all I have been asking for is stuff that works in the 1st place, when it does its brilliant. AS3X isnt going to make flying the pieces of foam that are left when a servo dies and the plane augers, thats all Im saying. Ill take reliable over blow your mind awesome any day, its a crapshoot as to the servos even working at all and as3x does not address that

Mendo
Mendo,

Just buy one!!

Regarding AS3X servos - I have two Beast 3Ds, an mCP X, Gee Bee, and a Carbon Cub. I have over 500 flights on my 'outdoor' B3D and over 100 flights on my 'indoor' B3D. All servos are fine - and I've been flying the outdoor B3D on 3s packs for about 100 flights, now. My mCP X has over 90 hours on it - all with original servos. The only trouble I've had with AS3X servos has been the slow aileron servo on the CC. The only other UM servo trouble I've had with the 23 UM aircraft I've owned was on the V1 Beast. The elevator servo locked up on one of them after about 50 flights, and an aileron servo went nuts during the maiden on another one.

I have yet to see any statistically relevant evidence that suggests AS3X is causing servo failures. According to HH, they found the problem with the last batch of AS3X servos, and it was process-related.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:51 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
It is hard not to keep raving about the as3x version of the Beast. Each flight brings such a grin. The as3x does much more to make the Beast a pleasure in the wind than it does for the CC, at least in my opinion. Which I suppose makes sense when you consider the control surfaces and movements of the two.

So far my CC/Beast conversion is working flawlessly, except that now my Beast requires multiple battery connect/unconnects to get a bind, just like the CC did before I switched the electronics.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:12 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,501 Posts
Quote:
I can see Im going to get burned at the stake here untill I buy one......
In a friendly sort of way... just want to be clear on that.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Mendo,

Just buy one!!

Regarding AS3X servos - I have two Beast 3Ds, an mCP X, Gee Bee, and a Carbon Cub. I have over 500 flights on my 'outdoor' B3D and over 100 flights on my 'indoor' B3D. All servos are fine - and I've been flying the outdoor B3D on 3s packs for about 100 flights, now. My mCP X has over 90 hours on it - all with original servos. The only trouble I've had with AS3X servos has been the slow aileron servo on the CC. The only other UM servo trouble I've had with the 23 UM aircraft I've owned was on the V1 Beast. The elevator servo locked up on one of them after about 50 flights, and an aileron servo went nuts during the maiden on another one.

I have yet to see any statistically relevant evidence that suggests AS3X is causing servo failures. According to HH, they found the problem with the last batch of AS3X servos, and it was process-related.

Joel
Im not saying all HH linears are faulty, just the ones I have had ( a statistical anomaly? ) I am more than aware that quite a large number of folks have had nothing but trouble free flying with theirs, I have not been so lucky in my own experiences with them. Im going to put the stick down now, as this horse might not even be fit for a can of alpo after the flogging it has recieved......

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
In a friendly sort of way... just want to be clear on that.
Hehe, yes.

Its a family friendly sort of lyching......Glowsticks for the kids at the gate and all that.

I will be thrilled beyond belief if I just get the simple pleasure of flying my soon to be purchased B3D and it all works as advertised, I ask for nothing more. *crosses fingers*

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:05 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
It's worth it. I am practically going crazy right now. Without any decent batteries, I've grounded my beast. I don't want to have to replace the wings... AGAIN. Even on 2S she's a blast. Very stable, great roll response, and it just looks plain awesome. I'm taking my beast off to College this August, making a special reinforced crate for it. Where I go, my Beast goes.
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:25 PM
United States, CT, Thompson
Joined Mar 2007
52 Posts
I would recommend the beast as well. I flew it for he first time tonight. I have had nothing but problems with the CC, many servo failures. The whole plane is being sent back to HH tomorrow. Back to the beast though, what a great plane, plenty of power for me on 2s, but I am new to the hobby. She is all I can handle on low rates right now. Had a little trouble at first with landings, she needs a decent amount of throttle. I flew her tonight in about 5-7 mph wind with little problem. My micro t-28 would have been blown all over the place. Once the cg is correct the plane is very stable and slows down real nice. I couldn't be happier. At times the AS3X seems to slightly delay control input, but it is very easy to adjust to. This is a very small trade off for the wind handling and stability. A completely different experience from the CC. I am really regretting that purchase. Still though HH seems to be working towards rectifying the problem, it's just the delay that is a pain. I would definitely recommend the Beast.

Louis
Lwsroc240 is offline Find More Posts by Lwsroc240
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:14 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
It is hard not to keep raving about the as3x version of the Beast. Each flight brings such a grin. The as3x does much more to make the Beast a pleasure in the wind than it does for the CC, at least in my opinion. Which I suppose makes sense when you consider the control surfaces and movements of the two.

So far my CC/Beast conversion is working flawlessly, except that now my Beast requires multiple battery connect/unconnects to get a bind, just like the CC did before I switched the electronics.
WSEN,

Ahh...another convert!

My V1 Beasts have hardly seen any air-time since the B3D came out, and they've been collecting hangar dust ever since I started flying the B3D on 3s! Along with B3D's uncanny wind-handing ability, I am hooked on how 'big' the the plane feels even in calm conditions. I like to end my flying sessions at the club field with a B3D flight on 3s. I'm still grinning while I'm unpacking the car when I get home.

I noticed the same thing regarding AS3X & the B3D & CC's wind-handling abilities. I think it's because the CC uses the same AS3X programming as the B3D. Given that the CC is much less responsive than the B3D, the gain is actually a bit low on the CC. Plus, there's the undercambered wing, which makes AS3X work overtime in turbulence and gusty conditions. For instance - the V1 Beast has no trouble penetrating a 17 MPH wind, and it is flyable in a 23 MPH wind. However, a non-AS3X CC would likely be nearly impossible to fly in a 17 MPH wind.

My CC doesn't lose bind, but I often have to do multiple battery connect/disconnects to get the brick to initialize. Seems to be a common issue with the CC bricks. Interesting, considering that the Beast 3D, Gee Bee, and CC bricks have the same part number & AS3X programming - yet the B3D & Gee Bee do not exhibit the problem. I wonder what changed...

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, CT, Thompson
Joined Mar 2007
52 Posts
Got another hour or so on the beast tonight. I am really impressed with this plane. Such a joy to fly. Tonight was one of those rare nights with absolutely no wind. My UM T -28 was smooth as butter in the sky. I wish I could clone this weather and bring it back every weekend. What a great hobby loads of fun. I could have flown all night if it didn't get dark.

Quick question from a new flier. I am going back and forth between efite 180 packs and Hyperion 240 packs. The 240 packs are a bit of a tight fit but they work. I am trying to get the right cg with the 240 packs which has proven a bit tricky. Should the heavier 240's be pushed farther forward or backward. Also is it normal to have to trim the elevator with different packs or is this a sign that the cg is wrong. The cg with the 180 packs seems perfect when the fromt of the battery is even with the back opening of the battery compartment. Thanks for the help in advance.
Lwsroc240 is offline Find More Posts by Lwsroc240