Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:13 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Brian,

Looks good! Which motor are you using with that 5.5x3 prop? It aught to be a real stump-puller. I thought about trying the 5.5x2 from the Hyper Taxi, and had measured the ground clearance. But given the poor efficiency of the Eflite 5x2.75 & 3.25x3.5 props, I didn't bother ordering the HT prop.

Looking forward to your flight-report!

Joel
I posted a it here. I was using my 3000kv motor at the time though. It bogs a little to much to really help. There is better thrust but the loss in top speed was just to much to really like it. I am really considering picking up one of the 2300kv motors that are on ebay for $15.99. I bet that the 2300kv + this prop on 3S would be a really nice combo.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Who makes a 5.5x3 prop? Do tell...

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
I wasn't going to post my UM servo stats in the CC thread.
I think many would find them unbelievable...

500+ flights on my V1 Sukhoi and my V1 Beast.
Hundreds of flights on my UM 4-site, UMX Sbach, UM Stryker and UMX Beast 3D.

My Sbach arrived with two faulty servos.
Horizon instantly replaced it for me.

That's it!
No other servo issues ever!
Even more amazing...
I've never cleaned or serviced a servo in any of my UMs.

rc

ps. If I just jinxed myself, Joel is to blame!
An Sbach with duff servos? Your right I dont believe you!!!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
An Sbach with duff servos? Your right I dont believe you!!!
h what a replacement they sent!

Fully charged Hyp 3S 180s with a GWS 5043!
No problem.
She is fast!!
On a WOT high speed pass, the 5043 unloads on 3S.
Snap rolls are so fast at that speed, they are hard to see.
Really!

Spent all morning in calm conditions, rotating between my 3Sbach & 3SB3D.
These are not your mama's planes!!

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Spent all morning in calm conditions, rotating between my 3Sbach & 3SB3D.
I like that! A 3Sbach
Mine works perfect on 3S too, I'd like your permission to put some '3Sbach' stickers on it!!

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:43 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
I like that! A 3Sbach
Mine works perfect on 3S too, I'd like your permission to put some '3Sbach' stickers on it!!

Tony

Permission Granted

Have any extras???

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
I have 1 out of 3 Beast 3D bricks that works flawlessly. The other two do the cut-out thing all the time. So... do I put my one 3S capable Beast brick in an Sbach or a Beast?? Hmmm? Which is more FUN?
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I have 1 out of 3 Beast 3D bricks that works flawlessly. The other two do the cut-out thing all the time. So... do I put my one 3S capable Beast brick in an Sbach or a Beast?? Hmmm? Which is more FUN?
The one thats out of its box at the time!

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
The one thats out of its box at the time!

Mendo
Ha! Not such a useful response, but I appreciate the sentiment.
Last edited by erkq; Jun 07, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Ha! Not such a useful response, but I appreciate the sentiment.
Get brave and stuff some different guts in your sbach ( 415rx, 5320s, 6-7a esc ) and then your worries of frying a brick are over, that and you can get the bach's cg where you like it and so on.....

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,370 Posts
Quote:
i have 1 out of 3 beast 3d bricks that works flawlessly. The other two do the cut-out thing all the time. So... Do i put my one 3s capable beast brick in an sbach or a beast?? Hmmm? Which is more fun?
Sbach!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I just had a long winded jumble of letters that pretty much summed up meant " Why would you need as3x in a sbach for one, the sbach tracks and handles quite well stock on 2s, and better on 3s. Im beyond reluctant to risk any more micros to the linears, and dont see how using them and as3x as a ideal 3s setup would be the plan over using a 415/6300 rx , 5320 servos, and a 6-7a esc getup for 3s. By accident I deleted the post ( you are all much better off for it by the way ) I admit I have yet to fly a single as3x equipped micro, but I am very hard pressed to think its all that huge that its worth suffering all the other limits and failure prone components. Summed up, the sbach flies great Im sure we can all attest to, but why the as3x aspirations? It cant be that good........Oh and since this is the beast thread, I thought I would toss a pic of one of my beasts ( bone stock oddly for me ) which I got from a nice fellow who is quite a capable pilot, and Im sure some of you may be familiar with, in case the signature is hard to read Ill give you a bit of help. First name is John, last name Gl-----is. I have a stack of beasts, and this one wont get flown unless I get desperate, it looks good next to a slick I got from A.J. that he signed for me.

Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,660 Posts
Quote:
Who makes a 5.5x3 prop? Do tell...

Mendo
I do!

Actually I took a GWS 6030 and trimmed .25" off each blade. I then painstakingly sanded the blade to match the tip shape of a 5043. After this was done I re-balanced the prop and double checked that it spun true and that each blade was the same length < .05mm variance!

Quote:
<sniped>
I admit I have yet to fly a single as3x equipped micro, but I am very hard pressed to think its all that huge that its worth suffering all the other limits and failure prone components. Summed up, the sbach flies great Im sure we can all attest to, but why the as3x aspirations? It cant be that good.
Mendo
Bottom line, it IS that good. There are also no suffering or limits, the ESC is better, the servos are faster and heavier duty, and failure rates (except CC) are nearly the same as the other ones.

I'd strongly recommend getting a B3D. You'll find yourself flying it on days you wouldn't ever dream of flying. 10-15 mph and the plane flies like its dead calm. 20+ mph and the plane still flies great.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,497 Posts
Quote:
I just had a long winded jumble of letters that pretty much summed up meant " Why would you need as3x in a sbach for one, the sbach tracks and handles quite well stock on 2s, and better on 3s. Im beyond reluctant to risk any more micros to the linears, and dont see how using them and as3x as a ideal 3s setup would be the plan over using a 415/6300 rx , 5320 servos, and a 6-7a esc getup for 3s. By accident I deleted the post ( you are all much better off for it by the way ) I admit I have yet to fly a single as3x equipped micro, but I am very hard pressed to think its all that huge that its worth suffering all the other limits and failure prone components. Summed up, the sbach flies great Im sure we can all attest to, but why the as3x aspirations? It cant be that good........
From your own admission, you are speaking from a position of ignorance. Kalmon gives good advice: get a Beast 3D! On 3S, it is, in fact, one of the best flying experiences I've ever had. I do still like my 3DHS AJ Slick 51 better. But I can't fly a 51" plane from my deck!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I do!

Actually I took a GWS 6030 and trimmed .25" off each blade. I then painstakingly sanded the blade to match the tip shape of a 5043. After this was done I re-balanced the prop and double checked that it spun true and that each blade was the same length < .05mm variance!

Bottom line, it IS that good. There are also no suffering or limits, the ESC is better, the servos are faster and heavier duty, and failure rates (except CC) are nearly the same as the other ones.

I'd strongly recommend getting a B3D. You'll find yourself flying it on days you wouldn't ever dream of flying. 10-15 mph and the plane flies like its dead calm. 20+ mph and the plane still flies great.

-Brian
I guess Ill have to try one out sooner or later, but if it does the usual routine of linear failure and subsequent crash Im going to vomit in the box, my success rate with the linears is ( im guessing ) maybe 8 out of 100+ that didnt crap out despite being babied beyond resonable levels. I just have a feeling its going to turn into the usual merry go round of having horizon tell me they are sorry and sending me a new one, which will either in turn have a similiar failure and perpetuate my great repor with their CS, or I will gut it and sell the parts getting replaced. I guess $140 is no more or less that all the other times I paid for the grand tour, Im getting one, why not.......

Mendo
RCG Plus Member