HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 03:34 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,027 Posts
Do you guys know of a touch up color match to the B3D, red?

Thanks!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:18 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
Do you guys know of a touch up color match to the B3D, red?

Thanks!
Yeah, sharpie red is almost perfect as long as it is for small rash and not huge gouges. About once a month or so I touch up the bottom of the nose cowling area. Flying off a very rough gravel driveway nose-overs are going to happen sometimes.

3S cooling fix: I finally got my 3S system to work 90+% of the time on the 3000kv and 5030. I was looking at videos and noticed that there are quite a few on 3S flying without the spinner. The spinner and backplate block a LOT of air that could be cooling the motor.

What I did was extend the opening they left on the top battery hatch all the way around the motor on the bottom cowling area. With that change I've had no more accidental OTP cutoffs. And during testing I was able to get about 2-3sec WOT verticals before it cuts off.

A note on 3000kv/5030 performance. I've seen people say they couldn't manage a good blender with the B3D. I'm able to do them just fine even on 2S with this motor. It takes about 3 to 4 rotations to flatten out but after that I will stay nice and flat with Zero rate of descent. Seeing as the 2300kv/5043 is the only combo I haven't tried how does this compare?

I also tested my custom 5530 prop. It may be an option for people at high altitudes but I'd have to say that it didn't offer any real benefits for me at 900msl. The only thing I noticed was a slight increase in thrust, but that quickly became irrelevant as the loss in top speed was clearly noticeable. Maybe it was CG location or just placebo but it did seem to hover a little easier. I'll upload images of the prop in a few min.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Flew my Beast 3d for the first time today... was a little too cautious for the first time, but did manage some circuits around the park before I got disoriented and not really sure what I did, but ended up pranging it into the grass and ripping the wing (got it repaired ok this evening and ready for my next flight).

I think I had the battery too far forward as it seemed way too nose heavy, and while I checked the CG before I left the house, I forgot to do another check when I put the battery back in at the park... oops I won't make that mistake again I've just spent some time shifting the battery back and forth to get the cg exactly where the manual says, and I've marked the battery position so I can get it right next time.

Roughly what's the minimum throttle this plane will fly on? I thought I was at 50% but after I crashed I realized I was at slightly less... a few things together I think made it a lot harder on myself... I think I was just nervous for the first flight... will try and enjoy the next one more..
khooke is offline Find More Posts by khooke
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:59 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
Not just "some sort of engine block enamel" ......Testors Model Master Acryl Chevy Engine Red, #4629.....Pretty much spot on match, can be had at your LHS, and it's acrylic......Brings back memories of painting my small block Chevy engines when I was younger though.
Pretty much spot on! Red Sharpie is fine for minor small repairs. This stuff is what you need when you really mash it up!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:31 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
yeah the sharpie red is not a perfect match, but better than white foam. I'm going to try to fine a bottle of paint from Michaels. they are usually on sale for about 50 cents. that testors stuff is a tiny bottle for $2-$3.

bring the cowl (battery cover) to Michaels and look at their craft pain isle. take the cap off to see the color best by looking at the paint inside. shake it first (before opening). they usually dry about the same or slightly darker. sometimes they are as cheap as 33 cents on sale. so might grab a couple colors that are close.
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:31 AM
Buffalos have wings
Vancouver Washington
Joined Nov 2007
2,046 Posts
Wow Matt, you must have had to dig to find that post.....Good to know someone is listening.
Tatonka is offline Find More Posts by Tatonka
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:42 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatonka View Post
Wow Matt, you must have had to dig to find that post.....Good to know someone is listening.
Good old, Search This Thread Function, I knew it was engine paint so that is what I used as search criteria.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:09 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khooke View Post
Flew my Beast 3d for the first time today... was a little too cautious for the first time, but did manage some circuits around the park before I got disoriented and not really sure what I did, but ended up pranging it into the grass and ripping the wing (got it repaired ok this evening and ready for my next flight).

I think I had the battery too far forward as it seemed way too nose heavy, and while I checked the CG before I left the house, I forgot to do another check when I put the battery back in at the park... oops I won't make that mistake again I've just spent some time shifting the battery back and forth to get the cg exactly where the manual says, and I've marked the battery position so I can get it right next time.

Roughly what's the minimum throttle this plane will fly on? I thought I was at 50% but after I crashed I realized I was at slightly less... a few things together I think made it a lot harder on myself... I think I was just nervous for the first flight... will try and enjoy the next one more..
Khooke,

Welcome to the fray! Sorry to hear about your crash. At least you got it patched-up.

The B3D has a wide flyable CG range, however the factory recommended 19mm is a good starting point. BTW - CG settings are not absolute. Move it forward a bit for better penetration & higher stall-speed when it's gusty, move it to the sweet-spot for pattern aerobatics, move it aft for 3D.

Regarding throttle - there is no single answer to your question. The amount of throttle required for sustained flight is directly dependent upon drag, and drag is dependent upon flight-attitude, and flight attitude is dependent upon many things. Flying at a high AoA, requires more throttle than flying at a low AoA. A forward CG will increase drag & stall-speed, thereby increasing the amount of power required for sustained flight. With the CG at the 'sweet spot' (neutral handling point), the plane will fly at much less than 50% throttle.

BTW - what is your experience level?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:02 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,027 Posts
Thanks for the paint match feedback. I did a google on it and found the info about the red sharpie, but missed the Testors color reference. I may go by Michaels and see what I can find. The one red I do have from them isn't too close. I think it may be called "engine red"? If I find a decent match, other than the Testors, I'll report back.

@khooke, I'm new to the Beast 3D myself. Initially, I found myself flying too slow, and not having the feel I was expecting. After I started flying 3/4 throttle I like it much better. It seems to like a little speed, with CG near stock position.
I just mention it, being new to the plane also, and thought it might help a bit. The others on here certainly have a lot more experience than me and will give you good direction.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:11 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Yeah, sharpie red is almost perfect as long as it is for small rash and not huge gouges. About once a month or so I touch up the bottom of the nose cowling area.
<snip>
I'll upload images of the prop in a few min.

-Brian
Wow so a few min turned into a day but here are the images of the sharpie color and of the 5.5" prop.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Kalmon, I couldn't help notice the PA-20 Pacer plan set you have the props setting on. Do you have the Pacer and if so how does it fly? I used to have a full-scale one on wheels and skis. Nice airplane.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:49 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Kalmon, I couldn't help notice the PA-20 Pacer plan set you have the props setting on. Do you have the Pacer and if so how does it fly? I used to have a full-scale one on wheels and skis. Nice airplane.
I just received the box a week or two ago, haven't even started yet. I'm trying to get familiar with the plans so I don't mess it up. I'm actually going to be modifying the plane to be a PA-16 Clipper by lengthening the ailerons instead of ailerons and flaps. My father completely rebuilt this PA-16 from nothing but a tube frame. My goal is to clone it in this kit. I have heard that Pat Tritle's models in general fly light and very well.

-Brian
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:07 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
I just received the box a week or two ago, haven't even started yet. I'm trying to get familiar with the plans so I don't mess it up. I'm actually going to be modifying the plane to be a PA-16 Clipper by lengthening the ailerons instead of ailerons and flaps. My father completely rebuilt this PA-16 from nothing but a tube frame. My goal is to clone it in this kit. I have heard that Pat Tritle's models in general fly light and very well.

-Brian
Brian,
Nice looking Clipper! I helped my neighbor re-fabric his Clipper. They are great planes for low-cost cruising. I rebuilt my PA20 from a Tri-Pacer that was in pretty tough shape. Had lots of fun with it. The short wing does need some airspeed to fly

To get back on topic, I got the aileron servos to convert my old Beastie into an ax3s version. Used the guts from the Carbon Cub except for the aileron servos. Hope it works!
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:24 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Brian,
Nice looking Clipper! I helped my neighbor re-fabric his Clipper. They are great planes for low-cost cruising. I rebuilt my PA20 from a Tri-Pacer that was in pretty tough shape. Had lots of fun with it. The short wing does need some airspeed to fly
Yeah even with the short wing it likes to fly. Of course that's compared to our Piper Cherokee 180 which is an aerodynamic brick when it gets slow. A lot of SWPC guys convert the Tris to Pacers. Tailwheel planes just look right.

back to our regular scheduled Beast goodness.

-Brian
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:26 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Brian,

Looks good! Which motor are you using with that 5.5x3 prop? It aught to be a real stump-puller. I thought about trying the 5.5x2 from the Hyper Taxi, and had measured the ground clearance. But given the poor efficiency of the Eflite 5x2.75 & 3.25x3.5 props, I didn't bother ordering the HT prop.

Looking forward to your flight-report!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 06, 2012 at 02:33 PM.