HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 02:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
793 Posts
Well bad news. Beast no#3 has failed mid flight no#1. Luckily got it down without damage.
Elevator stuck in slight down position and making a whining noise like the motor is underload trying to move it.
Decision time, take to Nitro for analysis or take back to LHS for refund?
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 03:30 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I'd go the refund. Put the money away until they fix the problem or put it towards the Mig. Hopefully the Mig is OK. 100% failure rate so far for you Jim. Such a shame because you did like the model very much.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old May 31, 2012, 06:08 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Well bad news. Beast no#3 has failed mid flight no#1. Luckily got it down without damage.
Elevator stuck in slight down position and making a whining noise like the motor is underload trying to move it.
Simple: Aileron servos = something stuck in the gears = investigate. Elevator = return to LHS After all, it's well protected inside the airplane.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old May 31, 2012, 06:31 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Take it to Nitro!! Don't slice it open though. Bind it to his TX, There is 0 harm in doing that. Just rebinding to a different tx will not void any warranty either. Another set of eyes will definitely be a good thing. I hope that the two of you find the problem.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old May 31, 2012, 07:19 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Love the airplane. However...my first one elevator servo stuck in up during a loop....did 4 or 5 loops then whamo! Clearly a design flaw given the number of these!

Wes
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:05 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Jim did bring the Beast around and it was easy to work out what was wrong with it and so back it went to the store. I'll let Jim tell the saga when he has time. He had to fly out for work today...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:37 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Pulling up an old post here but anyone know the max current draw of these please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Nope, they LOOK the same, but they are different (probably better wipers?). Confirmed by Dave from HH. New part number is: SPMSA2030L which was not available before.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
More 3Scapades with the B3D

Just having some fun with the B3D on 3s. Power-climbs, KE, KE loops, and generally screwing around. Makes me want to drop a 2300Kv/5030 combo into the Gee Bee & have RCBabbel whip up a few Hyp 240 & TP 325 65c 3s packs.

Some more 3s fun with the Beast 3D (6 min 24 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:10 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
So those were what 6" takeoffs! That is nuts! Are you running the 3S packs fully charged? Also do they balance through the same UMX battery connector just like the 2S packs? Making it very tempting!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
So those were what 6" takeoffs! That is nuts! Are you running the 3S packs fully charged? Also do they balance through the same UMX battery connector just like the 2S packs? Making it very tempting!
I run 3S fully charged. No one to date has lost a Beast 3D brick that I know of. They do not balance through the UMX connector. There are not enough wires! They have their own balance tap. I have one Hyperion 180 that has no balance tap at all. I charge it at only 1C max. I have 4 TP 250's that have the TP balance tap.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:48 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
Quote:
Matt,

You are flying the B3D & not the V1, right?

Yup - a 6" takeoff roll sounds about right. At 40% throttle.

Yes, many of us are running fully-charged 3s packs. Check the Beast 3D thread. There are a number of posts about running 3s in the B3D, along with a some of videos. As Erkq noted - we have yet to see a failure on 3s with the AS3X brick. The 2300Kv/5043 combo seems to be the best choice for 3s, although a number of people are running the stock 2500Kv w/5030. If you happen to have a 2300Kv motor from a V1 Beast sitting around, it's worth the swap - even on 2s. On 2s, the 2300Kv/5043 combo dramatically outperforms the 2500Kv motor on any commonly-available prop - and it also draws a lot less current.

RCBabbel makes ultra-light Hyp 180 3s packs that fit under the cowl & plug right in. They're light enough that it's still easy to get the CG right, despite the extra cell. The packs use the UMX connector for hot & ground, but they have regular 3s balance taps. Erkq & others are running TP 250s, but I don't know how the fit is. If you're already using a UMX charge adapter harness for your 2s UMX packs, you can use the banana connectors to charge the 3s packs. However, you will smoke the pack if you forget to disconnect the adapter's 2s balance tap from balance-board before connecting the 3s tap from the pack: First, be sure to disconnect the adapter's 2s balance plug from your balance-board, then connect the UMX connector to the Hyp 3s pack & plug the pack's 3s balance tap into your balance-board. Warning: Never, ever connect the 2s balance plug on the harness & the 3s balance plug on the pack to the balance-board simultaneously!! Doing so will immediately short one of the cells, which will puff within milliseconds. I accidentally smoked a barely-broken-in 3s Babbelbatt by doing that!

Alternatively, just make a two-conductor UMX-to-banana cable for charging & plug the pack into your charger like you would any larger pack. That's the safest way to go, as it eliminates the possibility of simultaneously connecting the 2s & 3s balance taps to the board.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jun 01, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Erkq & others are running TP 250s, but I don't know how the fit is.
Warning: Never, ever connect the 2s balance plug on the harness & the 3s balance plug on the pack to the balance-board simultaneously!! Doing so will immediately short one of the cells, which will puff within milliseconds. ...
The TP's friction fit into the Beast in a vertical orientation; that is, looking down at it you see the sides of the cells. The power connector comes out the top and the balance tap comes out at the bottom right along the battery tray. It's a little heavy, though... my Beast is a little worse for wear with repeated tip-stalls as I kept flying like I had lighter packs. I'd do turns too low and slow and I'd just fall out of the air. I've learned to keep my speed up just a smidge with the TP's and it all works out. Totally worth it!! 6" take-off roll? Full throttle and I think it just levitates!

And thanks for the warning. I'd not have thought that one through. I do charge it as I charge larger batteries so I've not run into that situation. But I was thinking about making a parallel harness for the TP's. I think I won't... just another detail to keep track of. I don't want any magic smoke! I've got a single charger and a dual charger and all the cables that can charge the 3 TP's simultaneously. I figure that's enough.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:46 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I will just charge these packs through the UMX connector since my charger charges through the balance plug.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jun 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,163 Posts
Quote:
I will just charge these packs through the UMX connector since my charger charges through the balance plug.
I limit my charge rate to 1C when charging through just the UMX connector because there's no way to balance. I've got that one Hyperion 3S pack that has no balance tap.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,656 Posts
Quote:
If your charger will charge through the balance plug, why not simply connect the 3s pack's balance plug to the charger & balance-charge the packs?

Joel
RCG Plus Member