HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marke14 View Post
I just received my new Beast 3D in the mail, direct from HH!

I am very excited to experience the AS3X and all the potential of this cool little Beast.

I see the comment about the servo shrouds, I think I will pick up a pair in my local hobby shop, that is a good call.

Are there any other Beast newbie tips? I'll be flying it with my DX6i. I read in the manual about setting the low rates at 70% for learning, is that about right?

Thanks in advance!
I used to run a bunch of EXPO on my V1 Beast but found about 5% is all I use on the new 3D version. I don't use servo covers, but I also keep the wheels on and fly off pavement for the most part so no issues with grass or dust.

As for tips, it's an amazing plane, get it up a bit and have fun, just keep an eye on orientation, especially as you get to low light, as it can be hard to tell up from down in low light. 70% will be tame but good to learn, depending on where you came from. I was flying the Su 26 XP before which is WAY twitchier, so had no problems with 100% rates right out of the shoot. That said, if you coming up from a trojan or Champ/Cub you will find a big difference.

If you're using the stock lipo keep the front maybe 1/2 way out of the lip of the battery cover. For the 180 size lipos, front lip sticking out works for me. Tiny bit nose heavy is not a big deal at all.

Finally, it is a fairly durable little plane, but the wings do get banged up easier than say the SU26 XP which I find to be almost indestructable! Just be a little carefull to avoid hitting light posts / cars / curbs. (Ask me how I know, as they say) as it will take damage. LOL

You'll love the AS3X, really makes this plane fly nice. Good luck,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 04:28 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2004
255 Posts
First mods

Had my new Beast UMX for a week now.

First thing I had to make was an adaptor lead so the battery will fit a normal balance plug socket. Made it using a spare plug from a bit of electronics lying around, 3 sewing pins and soldered on a balance plug from a dead lipo.

Name: lead_adaptor.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 89.1 KB
Description:

Also broke the wing struts (that sit between the wings) so glued in a couple of really thin CF rods on both struts. Seems to work well. Not pretty though.

Name: strut_support.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 113.0 KB
Description:

Not sure anyone else has done either of these mods/fixes (couldn't find anything when I searched).

Oh yes, forgot to say: loving the wind handling capabilities of this plane :-)
matt28 is offline Find More Posts by matt28
Last edited by matt28; May 23, 2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: added last sentence!
Old May 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Well got 2 flights in this morning and the elevator is still working. Bad news is the rudder has now locked in the neutral position what the!!
Will be heading off to the LHS for replacement no#3
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old May 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I love the mods Matt. Good stuff!

I got a quick unedited flight in with the Beast tonight. I love this though little sucker!

UMX Beast 3D (2 min 36 sec)

God Bless!!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old May 26, 2012, 02:51 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Well got 2 flights in this morning and the elevator is still working. Bad news is the rudder has now locked in the neutral position what the!!
Oh but it must be just your bad luck Jim... everyone else seems to have perfect planes, how dare you suggest anything against it
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old May 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2 Posts
Quote:
My rudder servo went out on the second flight of the plane. Horizon replaced the plane with no questions asked.
hill202 is offline Find More Posts by hill202
Old May 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3 View Post
Oh but it must be just your bad luck Jim... everyone else seems to have perfect planes, how dare you suggest anything against it
Sorry to hear about Jim's run on this plane, that would absolutely crank me up, no fun at all.

I guess I am one of those people that just lies about their experiences, no bad servos in this Beast V1 or the Beast 3D and I have pushed them HARD. (Been through a few now on my mCPX, but I have to say, I do a LOT more crashing on that one than my beasts, so I figure that nothing can take that kind of beating for too long! ) Suppose though that those of us that DON'T have bad experiences should just be quiet ... sorry for posting what has happened to me, should just leave this to a GRIPE ONLY thread ...

UNSUBSCRIBED

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old May 26, 2012, 07:22 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
Zellwood, FL
Joined Aug 2010
270 Posts
Marlin and others,

There are so many things that can cause such repeat failures. One is bad parts or product. Very well could be the case with what Jim is seeing. I, like you Marlin, have had no trouble with the beasts that we have had and have now that was not pilot induced. That being, crash related or in one case, using a transmitter that was suspect after it helped wretch another plane. We lost 2 more airplanes to that transmitter (belongs to a friend of mine who had it bound to my Gee Bee and Beast V1 and later B3D). After the 3rd thing happening in a row with 3 different airplanes, he sent the transmitter to HH and they found an issue with it. I know of another guy down here that had elevator servo lock ups from not having the travels set to 100% on the program for the model so it over drove them to a point they stuck.

So, based on my experiences and those of my friends in this area, I suggest that Jim double check the program and be sure the transmitter is in top shape before flying another B3D. If you have done this already and proven the tranny good with another airplane, then cool. You are already ahead of these 'just in case' suggestions. Maybe I missed posts where this was already discussed with respect to Jim's 2 airplanes in a row.

As for the idea that there are people here exaggerating the lack of issues they have with HH products, I am sure that is the case just as there are those here who go the other extreme and make minor things seem like huge deals. For me, with 2 V1 beasts, 2 B3D, a Gee Bee and a multitude of other HH airplanes up to 120cc Beast, we have had no issues that were related to HH vendor manufacturing. Some that were out fault, some that were damage related but no simple 'out of the box' messed up product.

For the sake of transparency, I am not an HH employee or sponsored by them. I do however license them to make models of my airplanes and use my registered marks. So, I am biased because these guys are my friends and I believe in Horizon as a company and in the products they create for our enjoyment.
kjkimball is offline Find More Posts by kjkimball
Old May 26, 2012, 11:14 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
If it were me and not Jim, I would have sliced open the model and sourced the problem so it sheds light on what is going on here locally with these things. Jim is a safe and very careful pilot and pushing a model hard is something he has never done so his only option is to return to the store with the faulty model.
I am tempted to contact the store and ask if I can get the knife to those models to see what's going on - they just might let me, who knows?
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 27, 2012, 12:36 AM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
292 Posts
Beast wing mod and 3d cousin

These pics show the wing mod I did to give my Beast 3D a better wing load ratio. This helps it slow down and land. The white strip on the front of the wings is a 10mm extension. Just trace the LE outline 10mm apart, increase width by 2mm for V notch inset, and cut a V into the back edge. four stick pins hold each wing in place.
The white/green 3D plane next to the Beast is a home brew of 3mm flat and 6mm wing foam shaped to a semitrical airfoil and using a AS3X/Beast brick and a AP05 with 6x3 gws prop. The brick handles the AP05 on 2S and gives more verticle thrust than the stock Beast motors. No issues with temp or electrical cut offs.
The mono wing flys 3D better than the Beast and the AS3X will hold it still in a headwind.
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Last edited by JJ460; May 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: attachments did not show
Old May 27, 2012, 04:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
If i had many flights clocked up on my beast3d i would have happily put a knife to it, however to have 2 planes both have servo lockups after 1-2 flights it has gone back to the shop. If it was a $50 plane i wouldn't be so fussed however for the $$ they can replace it.

My transmitter works fine on my other planes so it is not the fault.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old May 27, 2012, 12:36 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ460 View Post
These pics show the wing mod I did to give my Beast 3D a better wing load ratio. This helps it slow down and land. The white strip on the front of the wings is a 10mm extension. Just trace the LE outline 10mm apart, increase width by 2mm for V notch inset, and cut a V into the back edge. four stick pins hold each wing in place.
The white/green 3D plane next to the Beast is a home brew of 3mm flat and 6mm wing foam shaped to a semitrical airfoil and using a AS3X/Beast brick and a AP05 with 6x3 gws prop. The brick handles the AP05 on 2S and gives more verticle thrust than the stock Beast motors. No issues with temp or electrical cut offs.
The mono wing flys 3D better than the Beast and the AS3X will hold it still in a headwind.
This is very cool. I'd love to see a video of that white and green plane in action!
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old May 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
302 Posts
I use Hyperion 2s 240mah 25c packs in my UMX Beast3D and I got them pushed back behind the opening. I had to put a bit of clear packaging tape on them so I could pull them out. I might try them even further back.
it floats by slow and comes in real slow too for a landing.
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old May 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
I use Hyperion 2s 240mah 25c packs in my UMX Beast3D and I got them pushed back behind the opening. I had to put a bit of clear packaging tape on them so I could pull them out. I might try them even further back.
it floats by slow and comes in real slow too for a landing.
+1

If a Beast 3D won't slow down to a crawl on approach, it's nose-heavy. I can bring mine in slower than a UM Champ. In fact, I often fly circuits slower than the Champs at our winter indoor spot.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old May 29, 2012, 07:03 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
If it were me and not Jim, I would have sliced open the model and sourced the problem so it sheds light on what is going on here locally with these things. Jim is a safe and very careful pilot and pushing a model hard is something he has never done so his only option is to return to the store with the faulty model.
I am tempted to contact the store and ask if I can get the knife to those models to see what's going on - they just might let me, who knows?
Quote:
If i had many flights clocked up on my beast3d i would have happily put a knife to it, however to have 2 planes both have servo lockups after 1-2 flights it has gone back to the shop. If it was a $50 plane i wouldn't be so fussed however for the $$ they can replace it.

My transmitter works fine on my other planes so it is not the fault.
Jim and Nitro, I gather you are friends and live near each other. If so have you tried to bind these offending planes to Nitro's TX? I know you said your transmitter is fine but even if it's fine on other planes there could be a problem with it. I admit I'm just guessing but It'd be great to be sure.

Not trying to downplay your experiences just trying to offer something to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1

If a Beast 3D won't slow down to a crawl on approach, it's nose-heavy. I can bring mine in slower than a UM Champ. In fact, I often fly circuits slower than the Champs at our winter indoor spot.

Joel
+2 in even the slightest of breezes (<3mph) I can land my B3D across a driveway which is between 6-8ft. That's clearing the proverbial 50ft obstacle in the grass on approach too!
As to indoor flying, The beast can fly in a single basketball court and land softly and be stopped before the center (centre for you cheeky UK chaps ).

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon