HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
RealGambler, please stop guessing at what I have and haven't done every time I post - it's becoming annoying. I have had just about every HH UM model since they first came out.
Then, please, don't tell me you never pulled one of those HH model out of the box without catching a control surface like Chuck did. You looked like you had no experience with those little horns. Again, your comment was: "if they can't withstand being removed from the box what hope is there for them in flight doing heavy 3D??" That comment made you look like you didn't had much experience with those UMs models and never hit the control surfaces anywhere or even did any 3D with them. I know you do have many HH airplanes. Maybe you just simply trash the boxes when you buy them?. I just wanted to make sure your comment didn't came across as being negative against those little horns. Again, as I said, I'm not sure if HH got lucky, or if they designed them perfectly like that, but they are doing a great job protecting those control surfaces against impact (either prior the flight or during the flight), because linear servos do not have any "give" like normal servos, so something has to give, and I'm glad those little horns do. Otherwise, we would probably see thousands of broken control surface reports, or stripped gears and we surely not have to worry about the odd reports of stuck servos...
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 04:16 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey Y'all,
I just got time to speak with Horizon customer care and they are shipping out a new servo. He even explained to me where to cut and how to install the new one. Great customer service!

Blessings!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old May 21, 2012, 04:57 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
RG, I have never caught on anything while removing any HH UM model out of the box but I won't tell you that because you don't want me to.

To all, I learned very early on that hangar rash is the main cause of damage to micro's so I always remove the model vertically and slowly and replace it in the same manner.
Always travel with the model in it's box.
Always store it in it's box at indoors or the field.
Don't let it sit in the open like a target....

If you have seen my scratch built micro model threads you would also know that I store each and every one of them in an aluminium carry case for safety.....

Once again - it seems I am on the defence simply because I posted that Jim350 has had 2 consecutive elevator failures on band new AS3X Beasts.

The focus on that seems to repeatedly fail by some...

Food for fodder is that the local Distributor had to re-assure customers yesterday after announcing the arrival of the CC, that the CC elevator servo problem was in the first batch and that locally, we have received the newer batch of models that have had the problem corrected.

Anyway - back on topic.... rant over...
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
MJF
Waiting Fer Da SEFF
United States, GA, Perry
Joined Jul 2010
1,318 Posts
Thinking of selling my V1 beast....it in Pretty good shape.....

Think about it,,,,not real sure yet
MJF is offline Find More Posts by MJF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: got another plane
Old May 21, 2012, 10:53 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,535 Posts
"I can understand Chuck taking a defensive stand for HH products as he is a tester for MF.
what is your afilliation Turboparker?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
He's just an ekg...extremely knowledgeable guy... and he's got the data to back it up. Your assumption that one of this thread's best, most helpful posters has ulterior motives is insulting. I guess you haven't been around long...
+100 on that one erk!

Joel is has been SUPER helpfull to me in MANY different forums. I guess the fact that I have had a Beast V1 and Beast 3D with no bad servo issues (and I flew my B V1 a TON before finally packing it in and now fly my B 3D at least a few days a week, couple flights per session!) makes me someone who works for HH too?????

So you have issues, it's the product line as a whole that is flawed, just not the random chance that a couple out of the thousands of those who purchased the plane are speaking up as they are unhappy (as we all would be) and say so. But if you don't have issues and say so and your a company shill ... hmmm ... not sure I go with that.

AND while on that topic I don't consider Chuck a HH employee or company shill at all either. He seems to have a friendship and good relationship with a local hobby shop and they let him fly some of their models early so we all get a sneak peak. What I like is he is just an ordinary fellow like the rest of us and you can see what the plane handles like in the hands of a normal flyer. The HH guys put out demos with some amazing pilots at the sticks, which only makes sense, but I have NO HOPE of doing what those guys can do. Chuck on the other hand is a good flyer but no pro, so when you watch his vids I think I get a real honest sense of the plane. (Also has some excellent fishing videos if you check his Youtube page out and don't just watch the stuff in a couple forums!)

Anyhow, free forum, so people can think what they want, just don't like it when folks take shots on someone they DON'T EVEN KNOW and make assumptions of disshonesty or underhandedness with nothing to back it up beyond speculation.

Guess 911 was an inside job, JFK was killed by the Military, Chernobyl was a cover up for an alien invasion and Elvis is test flying FMS airplanes in China as we speak ... or maybe Joel and Chuck are good guys and just telling us what their experiences are. Think I'll go with that one ...

Rant over ... back to my Beast 3D ... getting bloody good at upright harriers now, if I do say so myself, and even got some decent hovers in this weekend ... sure am loving my plane, crappy servos and all!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Last edited by Fish99; May 21, 2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Context ...
Old May 22, 2012, 12:11 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
No-one said the whole product line is flawed. Jim and Nitro are, as you put it, "good guys and just telling us what their experiences are."
It just seems that on any HH thread, anyone who dares question the almighty HH are pounced on and told by others how they've had no issues, that theirs is a 'statistic',( thats a beauty right there, worthy of a politician)

I ask any modeller here, if you bought a Beast and had this problem, had it replaced with a new one then had the same problem again after 1 flight, would you be happy and confident in any replacements offered from then on?

Fish99, I'm astounded that you seem to have Chucks relationship with OMP completely worked out from the other side of the world just from watching a few vids that give the thumbs up to every single product with not a single fault reported ever. Kudos to you.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old May 22, 2012, 12:31 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
No-one said the whole product line is flawed. Jim and Nitro are, as you put it, "good guys and just telling us what their experiences are."
It just seems that on any HH thread, anyone who dares question the almighty HH are pounced on and told by others how they've had no issues, that theirs is a 'statistic',( thats a beauty right there, worthy of a politician)

I ask any modeller here, if you bought a Beast and had this problem, had it replaced with a new one then had the same problem again after 1 flight, would you be happy and confident in any replacements offered from then on?

Fish99, I'm astounded that you seem to have Chucks relationship with OMP completely worked out from the other side of the world just from watching a few vids that give the thumbs up to every single product with not a single fault reported ever. Kudos to you.
No problem questioning HH products, love em, hate em, critique them, what have you. I actually find that information VERY informative and appreciate Jim and Nitro, as well as others, posting that stuff. What I don't agree with is ASSUMING that someone who posts they HAVEN'T had the same problems must somehow just be a HH DEFENDER or somehow just not being honest. I have exchanged a LOT of messages with Joel, tips, hints, flying experiences and while I can't "prove it" I can tell you my impression is he is an honest enthusiast and the remark questioning why he was a HH DEFENDER when all he was doing was explaining his thoughts on statistics, boards, etc., was, to me, unfair.

As for Chuck's relationship with OMP and the LHS, interesting sarcasm, though not very helpfull and more than a little offensive to me but that's your right I guess so have at it and your impression is your own to enjoy.

The reality is, I have no evidence one way or the other but can say that off line I have exchanged a couple messages with him. Far away impressions, Chuck seems like a good fellow, so I CHOOSE to give him the benefit of the doubt and take his impressions at face value. I DON'T CHOOSE to ASSUME he's somehow bending the truth or being disshonest. Guess I look at the world a bit differently than youself. If you have a negative experience with HH products I don't assume you work for Dynam or Hobby King when you post it, I just assume you had a bad experience and take you at your word.

Oh, and I have purchased a load of stuff from HH and YES, I have been very happy with all of it. I guess I am a HH DEFENDER, or maybe just being untruthfull as well ... guess only I know that, and perhaps you will just assume it ...

Take care, sincerely, and back to the Beast ... least for me.

Marlin
Old May 22, 2012, 12:58 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
I was half way through typing a response when it occurred to me I'm wasting my precious time. Sorry if I offended anyone. We only get one go around at this beautiful thing called life so I'm off to enjoy models, flying, RC and I wish you all the best.
Cheers
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old May 22, 2012, 05:58 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,400 Posts
Quote:
I know I would be happy (but maybe not so confident)... HH is one of the rare few company that replace airplanes like that. I'm also happy that I can find replacement parts for a long time for those airplanes to keep them in the air for a long time. They are doing their best, and sure enough, things happen (bad run out of manufacturing, or simple odds). Having it happening twice is really bad, but for so many other manufacturing company, after the first crash, it would have been over, since they would not even offer to replace the first airplane. When I used to spend 50 hours building a balsa plane, and crashed it because of a defective servo, I was out of luck. Now we can buy a whole package, and simply return it if one thing is defective. That make me happy.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old May 22, 2012, 08:01 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,535 Posts
Quote:
I was half way through typing a response when it occurred to me I'm wasting my precious time. Sorry if I offended anyone. We only get one go around at this beautiful thing called life so I'm off to enjoy models, flying, RC and I wish you all the best.
Cheers
Chalk it up to a sensitive night OS, and my appologies for getting defensive. You still flying your FPV Cub? If so drop me a note with a link to any video you have, I have recently gotten interested in FPV and truly enjoy some of those videos.

For now I am still pursuing the EXTENDED HOVER with the Beast ... once I get better I will post try to get some vid so others more skilled can give me tips.

Happy flying,

Marlin
Old May 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
993 Posts
Let me help change the topic with a newbie question about battery placement.

From what I've read, a nano-tech 180 goes in with the leading edge about even with the back edge of the battery cover (cowl)?
I didn't notice any new discussions, so I thought I'd check. I tried checking the CG, but need to set up a better method than finger tip for this small plane. Estimate is I'm at about 20mm with battery in all the way.

Roll rate is amazing on 100%. Rudder is good too, but elevator could use a little more. It's already in the closest hole.

So far, just a few flights. Not sure if it's the plane style, or the AS3X but it seems a little dampened on the controls. Really smooth in the wind though.
Has anyone tried negative expo?

Anyway, so far so good. Just double checking battery location and thoughts on controls.

Thanks!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old May 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Thats where I put my 180's for normal flight, although I try and get them a little further back when I want to practice hover's and harriers probably about 10mm inside the leading edge of the fuse
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old May 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,305 Posts
You may want to start off by placing the battery where others place it, but ultimately the best thing to do is take the time to measure the CG. Airframe variability make battery placement a very rough indicator of CG at best.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old May 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
and further to all the servo issues, Ive had 2 fail on me until I installed these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PKZU2253-S...ht_1634wt_1163
they do a good job of keeping dirt and grime out of the servo's no problems at all so far
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old May 23, 2012, 03:12 PM
RC pilots do it in the air
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
I just received my new Beast 3D in the mail, direct from HH!

I am very excited to experience the AS3X and all the potential of this cool little Beast.

I see the comment about the servo shrouds, I think I will pick up a pair in my local hobby shop, that is a good call.

Are there any other Beast newbie tips? I'll be flying it with my DX6i. I read in the manual about setting the low rates at 70% for learning, is that about right?

Thanks in advance!
marke14 is offline Find More Posts by marke14