HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 07:41 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I just lost an elevator servo tonight. I would guess that I have about 40+ flights on the airframe with no bad crashes. It locked right up so I let it drop to the ground with no power on and it didn't do any damage at all. I'm going to call Horizon in the morning and see what they can do. This isn't like a heli with easy access to the servo. I'm stumped at how I can replace it without damaging the plane, graphics, and integrity of the airframe. I know Horizon will make it right, they have awesome customer service.

Blessings Y'all!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
Too much to do not enough time
Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2010
273 Posts
Question: I just got a replacement wing set for my 3D beast. However, the replacement set is for the old beast. No difference, but does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the bubbling from the gold trim? I thought about poking holes and using a dash of Solvaset, but....... Also: I thought about mounting the servos on the top of the wings, and at the same time move them outboard of their normal slots. Then I'd poke new slots for the control horns. Anyone ever do this? I figured it would take the stress off the inside corner of the bottom ailerons. Thinking it might also improve control response and prevent creases in the foam. Good idea? bad?
BobaFett1138 is offline Find More Posts by BobaFett1138
Old May 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Monocote iron over a wet paper towel removes the wrinkles.
WSEN is online now Find More Posts by WSEN
Old May 19, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
I just lost an elevator servo tonight. I would guess that I have about 40+ flights on the airframe with no bad crashes. It locked right up so I let it drop to the ground with no power on and it didn't do any damage at all. I'm going to call Horizon in the morning and see what they can do. This isn't like a heli with easy access to the servo. I'm stumped at how I can replace it without damaging the plane, graphics, and integrity of the airframe. I know Horizon will make it right, they have awesome customer service.

Blessings Y'all!
Horizon has been great when I have had problems with a new plane, but 40+ flights is pretty far removed from new. They clearly state that the length of the warranty is the time of purchase. So technically, when you get it to the car, warranty is gone. Let us know what they say.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 20, 2012, 09:32 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post

Blessings Y'all!
keep us up on what you hear from HH.

I had a aileron servo go out after 5 flights. I just bought a new one for $13.50 and replaced it. had to cut the tape on the fuse, etc to plug it in.
an on-board elevator servo would not be fun, but not impossible to swap.
Since new I've had a Rudder servo on my v2 Beast3D that does not center well. (Glad I only paid $109 shipped) while my v1 UMX Beast and UMX Extra300 from last fall are all perfect.
These new AS3X servos might be flakey?
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old May 20, 2012, 11:42 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
.............................These new AS3X servos might be flakey?
The opposite has been true for me. The elevator servo on one of my V1 Beasts failed after 50 flights. On another V1, an aileron servo lost its mind during the maiden & went to full-up on its own during an inverted pass down the runway. Did the drill-bit maneuver right into the asphalt. Wasn't pretty. HH sent me a new plane. However, I have two B3Ds, a Gee Bee, Carbon Cub, and an mCP X. All of the servos are fine. The original servos in my mCP X are still going strong after nearly 1000 flights. One of my B3Ds is over the 500 flight mark. The servos are fine - and I fly that one on 3s, so AS3X is definitely giving them a workout.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 02:51 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,550 Posts
I wasn't going to post my UM servo stats in the CC thread.
I think many would find them unbelievable...

500+ flights on my V1 Sukhoi and my V1 Beast.
Hundreds of flights on my UM 4-site, UMX Sbach, UM Stryker and UMX Beast 3D.

My Sbach arrived with two faulty servos.
Horizon instantly replaced it for me.

That's it!
No other servo issues ever!
Even more amazing...
I've never cleaned or serviced a servo in any of my UMs.

rc

ps. If I just jinxed myself, Joel is to blame!
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; Jun 07, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 03:08 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,823 Posts
I run 100% travel on my DX8. I currently have the GeeBee, 3D Beast, Carbon Cub and the Mosquito. Past planes which I have either given away or sold are the P51, Sukhoi and SBach. I have never crashed one of these micros in hundreds of flights from equipment failure and have never serviced a servo. The only change I have made is using Hyps from RCBABBEL.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old May 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
I'm not going to post my UM servo stats over in the CC thread.
I think many would find them unbelievable...

500+ flights on my V1 Sukhoi and my V1 Beast.
Hundreds of flights on my UM 4-site, UMX Sbach, UM Stryker and UMX Beast 3D.

My Sbach arrived with two faulty servos.
Horizon instantly replaced it for me.

That's it!
No other servo issues ever!
Even more amazing...
I've never cleaned or serviced a servo in any of my UMs.

rc

ps. If I just jinxed myself, Joel is to blame!
RC,

Only two servo failures here - out of 23 UM aircraft - and both were on V1 Beasts. <looks around for a piece of wood on which to knock>

PS: Don't stuff your UMs!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 05:17 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
My friend bought the new AS3X Beast last week. Flew it once and the elevator servo stopped working. He bought it back to the shop and they swapped it straight away. He flew the new one yesterday once and the elevator servo stopped working.... That's a 100% failure rate so far.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
+1 never had any servo problems with my micros i have seen the little plastic horn twist from landing in the grass, or even catching them when taking the plane out of the box, i just straighten them out, problem solved. i wonder if this is whats happening to others on the landing, or removal from the box, but they do not notice it until it's in the air? i check all my connections before i fly

on another note, i just got back from a 3 day fun fly at one of the Riverland clubs and with so much flying and heaps of the big 3D plane pilots there, with a little instruction, i finally had the Beast 3D hovering and managed to do it in front of the crowd, more than a few times with comments in the background of how awesome this new technology is this plane is a beauty gee i love my micros

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old May 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
Sheesh Chuck - if they can't withstand being removed from the box what hope is there for them in flight doing heavy 3D??..... kind of a silly comment really...

I inspected the model, surface controls, binding, travel, clearance, operation of all other servo's, rebound it to a new channel, reset it several times, etc. The servo was either jammed or faulty. It did not work. No need to try and take the focus of a fault that is clearly there.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
My friend bought the new AS3X Beast last week. Flew it once and the elevator servo stopped working. He bought it back to the shop and they swapped it straight away. He flew the new one yesterday once and the elevator servo stopped working.... That's a 100% failure rate so far.
I see your giving my linear failure rate a run....Love HH micros, their linear servos do not love me.

Mendo
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Sheesh Chuck - if they can't withstand being removed from the box what hope is there for them in flight doing heavy 3D??..... kind of a silly comment really...
not a silly comment really? as i have done it i've also creased the rudder on one of my planes by not being careful when i take it out of the box guess i'm just a bit clumsy now and again and i wonder if "SOME!" of the complaints about servos are the same? surely i'm not the only one in the world to have done this?

i stick by my claim NONE! of the 10 micros i own have had any servo problems, guess i have just been lucky

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old May 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,181 Posts
We're talking about a servo on the board of the new AS3X Beast here, Chuck - not the old stuff.
It may simply be a programming glitch in the AS software for all we know.