HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
You may have just sold me on the Dynam, damn you!!! It really flew that well?

Tom
I honestly don't want to sell these planes, as I don't like the rip off of the design from the patent holder, who seems like a good fellow.

That said, I can't lie, the Dynam looked like it flew pretty darn well. The fellow was doing simple pattern flying, and mild sport aerobatics, so it's hard to tell how "3D" this plane is, or if it will hold together in high G maneuvers such as what I intend to put my park sized beast through when it comes out! That said, it sure handled wind well and looked the part in the air, looking very stable and easy to fly. The owner commented on liking it a lot as well, even though it was a maiden flight.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 Posts
Hey Guys,
Dynam didn't base the Peaks on the Beast. It's based on two of Kimball's other planes. The body shape is just like the Model 12 and the scheme is just like the Python. The only thing Beast like is the red. How many other red, black and white schemed planes are out there? Still makes it stealing but lets get the plane right That being said I own the Peaks because I got tired of waiting on HH and had to have one. I will probably to still buy a Beast when HH comes out with it but unless it's balsa I don't see how it could fly any better then the Peaks. I like Kimball's Python so much I spent the time and money to turn my Peaks into it. Hopefully HH will give us what we want SOON so I can have a Beast too

Pitts Model 12
http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com...cheda.php?id=6

Python
http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com...cheda.php?id=8
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old May 18, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Hey Guys,
Dynam didn't base the Peaks on the Beast. It's based on two of Kimball's other planes. The body shape is just like the Model 12 and the scheme is just like the Python. The only thing Beast like is the red. How many other red, black and white schemed planes are out there? Still makes it stealing but lets get the plane right That being said I own the Peaks because I got tired of waiting on HH and had to have one. I will probably to still buy a Beast when HH comes out with it but unless it's balsa I don't see how it could fly any better then the Peaks. I like Kimball's Python so much I spent the time and money to turn my Peaks into it. Hopefully HH will give us what we want SOON so I can have a Beast too

Pitts Model 12
http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com...cheda.php?id=6

Python
http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com...cheda.php?id=8
Thanks for the info, I'm no expert but I think these planes are all more or less the same overall, with minor differences. Understood it's not a beast, but it's the closest thing I have seen out there which is why I think we call it a beast... Glad to hear it flies well, have you ever tried it on 3S or are 4S packs required? I don't have any 4S packs at this point so I'd have to invest in some if I went in this direction.

Today's looking gorgeous, my micro beast 3d will be flying for sure at lunch!!!

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old May 18, 2012, 09:46 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,163 Posts
Why is it that when people talk about wanting a larger M12, nobody mentions Eflite's balsa Pitts Model 12 15e? With a 40" span, it seems to be about the right size.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm no expert but I think these planes are all more or less the same overall, with minor differences. Understood it's not a beast, but it's the closest thing I have seen out there which is why I think we call it a beast... Glad to hear it flies well, have you ever tried it on 3S or are 4S packs required? I don't have any 4S packs at this point so I'd have to invest in some if I went in this direction.

Today's looking gorgeous, my micro beast 3d will be flying for sure at lunch!!!

Tom
I was half joking about everyone calling it a knock off Beast. However the wings and canopy are dramatically different from the Beast and match the Model 12 the most. I have tried the Peaks on 3s. It flew but not great. You could swap the motor to give it the ability to fly 3s but it's easier just to get some 4s batteries. Unless HH comes out with a balsa Beast I imagine it will be Z-Foam like the Yak. I would also think like the Yak it will run on 4s. I'm hoping they do a Balsa 3s version though. It is a great day for flying! Have fun
Old May 18, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Why is it that when people talk about wanting a larger M12, nobody mentions Eflite's balsa Pitts Model 12 15e? With a 40" span, it seems to be about the right size.

Joel
I almost bought that one a year ago but there were a lot of negative comments on it. So I decided to stay clear. I'm convinced we will see a Beast in that size within a year so I'll keep waiting but it was very tempting for a little while.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:16 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
993 Posts
I wonder if the Multiplex Gemini would fill the need for a bigger Beast?
Great flying plane, but I have not flown the Beast to compare.

That will be changing soon!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old May 18, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
I wonder if the Multiplex Gemini would fill the need for a bigger Beast?
Great flying plane, but I have not flown the Beast to compare.

That will be changing soon!
Not even close
Old May 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jan 2009
993 Posts
Quote:
Not even close
No?
It has two wings!
Old May 18, 2012, 11:36 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,163 Posts
Quote:
No?
It has two wings!
So does the Antonov An-2!

Seriously though - the Gemini aught to be a good flier. Most MPX offerings fly well, from what I've heard. About the only significant negative thing I've read is that it's a bit underpowered with the recommended power system, and requires full-throttle for most aerobatic maneuvers. It only has 100W/pound with the recommended power system. 100W/pound is fine for a sport-plane, but it is definitely not enough for pattern, 3D, or unlimited aerobatics. For instance, the UMX Beast V1 comes in at about 150 W/pound with a good battery & a 5043 prop.

Electric flight power-to-weight rule of thumb:

50-70 watts per pound; Minimum level of power for decent performance, good for lightly loaded slow flyer and park flyer models
70-90 watts per pound; Trainer and slow flying scale models
90-110 watts per pound; Sport aerobatic and fast flying scale models
110-130 watts per pound; Advanced aerobatic and high-speed models
130-150 watts per pound; Lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans
150-200+ watts per pound; Unlimited performance 3D and aerobatic models

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; May 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old May 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
717 Posts
Quote:
I was half joking about everyone calling it a knock off Beast. However the wings and canopy are dramatically different from the Beast and match the Model 12 the most. I have tried the Peaks on 3s. It flew but not great. You could swap the motor to give it the ability to fly 3s but it's easier just to get some 4s batteries. Unless HH comes out with a balsa Beast I imagine it will be Z-Foam like the Yak. I would also think like the Yak it will run on 4s. I'm hoping they do a Balsa 3s version though. It is a great day for flying! Have fun
Ya I'd probably pick up some 4S packs. I'm in no hurry right now as I recently built a reactor bipe EP that only has a couple flights on it (Freaking AWESOME PLANE), as well as the eflite extra 260 with maybe 5 flights on it and I just finished a Cermark 55" extra 260 that I have yet to maiden. I flew my eflite Edge 540 profile plane today, it was fun whipping that around, and I also just picked up an old parkzone typhoon 2 used from a guy at the club that I've been beating on, not to mention my micros including the beast and helis and some scale foamies that don't see much airtime over the 3d ships. It would be nice to have a non balsa bipe to whip around which is what I was thinking for the Peaks, but I'll see how the summer goes as I may want to go bigger anyway...

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old May 18, 2012, 01:55 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,534 Posts
Quote:

Joel
Funny Joel, I saw this plane last night for the first time while browsing through the HH site and thought it might actually fit the bill. I like the foamies for park flying, but the balsa is certainly a more rigid and precise air frame so should be better flying. I have yet to research the plane, have you flown it?

Anyhow, back on topic, I realized the PEEKS was more of a PITTS knock off, but as I understand it (and I could be wrong) the BEAST is (was) a PITTS that had been modified for more extreme aerobatics, but a PITTS just the same.

For now I continue to LOVE flying my Beast 3D, and can't wait for HH to fill the niche between UMX and the BIG beast from Hanger 9.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old May 18, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
993 Posts
Quote:
So does the Antonov An-2!

Seriously though - the Gemini aught to be a good flier. Most MPX offerings fly well, from what I've heard. About the only significant negative thing I've read is that it's a bit underpowered with the recommended power system, and requires full-throttle for most aerobatic maneuvers. It only has 100W/pound with the recommended power system. 100W/pound is fine for a sport-plane, but it is definitely not enough for pattern, 3D, or unlimited aerobatics. For instance, the UMX Beast V1 comes in at about 150 W/pound with a good battery & a 5043 prop.

Electric flight power-to-weight rule of thumb:

50-70 watts per pound; Minimum level of power for decent performance, good for lightly loaded slow flyer and park flyer models
70-90 watts per pound; Trainer and slow flying scale models
90-110 watts per pound; Sport aerobatic and fast flying scale models
110-130 watts per pound; Advanced aerobatic and high-speed models
130-150 watts per pound; Lightly loaded 3D models and ducted fans
150-200+ watts per pound; Unlimited performance 3D and aerobatic models

Joel

I know we're kidding around, so take it for what it's worth.
Having just purchased a new Beast, I know I'll have questions and will need your help.

As for the Gemini, I have one of them, and it's an awesome flyer. I'm running ~170 watts per pound.
Part of the reason I got the Beast was to practice, and possibly transfer knowledge to the Gemini.

Any-who, just throwing the Gemini out there since it seemed like some folks were looking for Parkflyer size alternatives. No AS3X though. (yet)
Last edited by Woody_99; May 18, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Funny Joel, I saw this plane last night for the first time while browsing through the HH site and thought it might actually fit the bill. I like the foamies for park flying, but the balsa is certainly a more rigid and precise air frame so should be better flying. I have yet to research the plane, have you flown it?

Anyhow, back on topic, I realized the PEEKS was more of a PITTS knock off, but as I understand it (and I could be wrong) the BEAST is (was) a PITTS that had been modified for more extreme aerobatics, but a PITTS just the same.

For now I continue to LOVE flying my Beast 3D, and can't wait for HH to fill the niche between UMX and the BIG beast from Hanger 9.

Marlin
Quote:
I know we're kidding around, so take it for what it's worth.
Having just purchased a new Beast, I know I'll have questions and will need your help.

As for the Gemini, I have one of them, and it's an awesome flyer. I'm running ~170 watts per pound.
Part of the reason I got the Beast was to practice, and possibly transfer knowledge to the Gemini.

Any-who, just throwing the Gemini out there since it seemed like some folks were looking for Parkflyer size alternatives. No AS3X though. (yet)
Marlin,

I have not flown Eflite's M12 15e, however I have been looking at it for some time, wondering if it would fill that gap. FlyWW1 mentioned that he read negative comments about it & stayed away. Hopefully he will chime in & provide more detail. I definitely prefer balsa to foam, and would love a balsa Beast-like plane somewhere between 40" & 60" span - electric or gas, as I'm done with glow. Lately, I've been eying Satio's line of 4-stroke gas engines.

Regarding the Beast - you are correct. It was a highly-modified Pitts Model 12. You can read about the mods here: http://www.beastairshows.com/web/aircraft.php

Maybe Jim will chime in & provide more detail.

Woody,

Regarding the Gemini - I bet she's a blast at 170W/lb! I've read & heard lots of good things about Multiplex planes. Everyone I know who flies a MPX plane loves it! Pretty strong endorsement, I think.

Regarding the Beast - feel free to ask me a question anytime in the threads - or shoot me a PM. I am always happy to help where I can.

No flying wx here for the last couple days. Nothing but 30+ MPH winds. Looks like Monday will be the next decent flying day around here. Guess it's back to flying the mCP X & mQX in the living room for a few more days...

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; May 18, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,383 Posts
Joel,
I haven't done a ton of research on the Pitts Model 12 but the comments that made me stay away were bad quality of parts and materials. If you only read the reviews on HH you see people complaining about bad fits, weak points all over the plane and that a lot of modding needs to be done. I'm all for modding but if the quality of the parts are cheap and brittle from the beginning I'm out. To be fair to the plane it seems like was you fix all the flaws it's a sweet flying plane. I'm just not interested in spending $150 for an airframe that needs to be fixed all over before I even have a chance to crash it myself I don't LOVE the scheme either. If it was a Beast or Python I would have bought it even with the flaws.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL2550