HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 09:42 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,578 Posts
S,

I fly the Hyp (3S) 180 just far enough back to clear the battery hatch tab.
CG is dead on for mine in that location.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 05:53 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Well landings on the backyard involves a steep glide into a gentle plop on the grass. Yeah I think flying in the backyard will help with flying indoors during the winter. Have trouble because I was not used to having limitations in altitude and overall space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
IMatt,

Way to go!

No doubt about it; flying both my Beasts off my driveway has made me a better pilot.
Mature trees, street lights, etc., demand attention.
Even though I don't 'officially crash' anymre, I've had some amazing falling with style type 'landings'.

rc
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old May 17, 2012, 11:48 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,570 Posts
The weather finally let up so I had a chance to fly the B3D on a calmer day with 3S.

Here is the comparison of the 2500kv 3S vs the 3000kv 2S. Brand new 5030 prop balanced on a dubro balancer.

3S pros:
1. The top speed is definitely a bit higher on 3S, but in my confined area I can't use it.
2. Slightly faster motor acceleration for a better throttle response.
3. The added weight helps to penetrate winds better.

3S cons:
1. Added weight increases landing speeds slightly, normally this wouldn't be an issue but with my rough driveway the less rollout the better as a rock causing a noseover can cause damage at higher landing speeds.
2. Even with the stock motor and a balanced prop, I still get OCP at above 80% to 90% throttle when there is a high load on the motor. (vertical climbs, hover punchouts, etc)
3.Battery is a very tight fit. Small con but still a con.
4. Wing waggle. I think it may be my servos. Its always done this at speed, even new. multiple props no change. With the 3S speed I definitely see it more though.

2S - 3000kv + 5030:
Pros:
1. light, with a 2S BB180 it flys great and there is enough power to pull out of a hover vertically and watch it climb to a dot.
2. slower three point landing speed. I guess I should clarify that you can get extremely slow harrier landings in 2S or 3S but when I say landing speed I mean three point attitude.

Cons:
1. noise! this 3000kv motor is LOUD. I originally thought it was only slightly louder than the 2500, I was wrong. After this back to back test I was shocked to find that the 2500 on 3S was basically the same pitch and volume as the 3000kv on 2S.
2. slightly slower throttle response time. Very slight but there. I barely notice it when flying, I only noticed because I was flying them back to back.

Conclusion:
I am not sure what I plan on doing now. I personally think that for me the 3000kv on 2S is better for my yard flying. If I had a bigger area with even a halfway decent runway the 3S is definitely the way to go though. When i get my CC if it has the 2300kv motor in it I'll try it in the B3D with a 5043 on 2S and 3S. If it is as close as everyone says to the 3000kv, minus the noise, I'll probably order another motor and fly it that way.

Also notable is that the 2S flying experience on the 2500kv is not even comparable to the 3000kv. It is hands down all round better on the 3000kv. This is the other part of the reason why I will probably stick to the 3000kv, I have lots of 2S packs and it flies more than well enough for my area, with the room inside to move the battery and adjust the CG for a wide range of flying.

-Brian
(puts on fireproof suit for the responses)
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old May 17, 2012, 12:31 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,578 Posts
Brian,

No fireproff suit needed.
Thanks for the report!

I've never flown the 3000Kv motor in my Beast.

Sorry to see that you are still battling OCP at 80~90% throttle.
I've never experienced OCP on (3S) with the 2500Kv motor and 5030 prop.
I've tried my best.

Some of what you describe is why I'm still addicted to my V1Beast.
2300Kv motor/5043 prop.
I fly her off my driveway in calm conditions using Hyp (2S) 120s.
Flight times are short and I go through packs like water.
Doesn't really matter because I'm 17 steps from my shop!
Her vertical power is superb but she is super light and floaty.
Pin-point slow landings are easy.
She is quiet as a mouse and my neighbors hear nothing.

My wife and kids always give me a hard time about flying two identical planes.
They only look the same!
My soccer complex flying field is large with a smooth paved runway.
My Beast3D on (3S) flies BIG!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball View Post
Joel,

Things are good here. Busy. We are in the final stages of a 1929 Stearman restoration (see Stearman NC667K facebook page), have two model 12 aircraft we are building now. One a 2 seater to go to Australia and the other a single seater for a client in PA which will be the lightest model 12 so far and will have the most HP and thrust M14P available today. Not only that, but the guy who we are building it for is a modeler too! We are planning to have NC667K at Oshkosh this year. We are thrashing on it pretty hard.

As for new RC products, there is always something new to come. I just can't spill the beans yet. Nice videos. I have been following the threads here all along, just not posting lately. All of you keep enjoying these great airplanes. We sure do.
I have the micro beast 3D, LOVE LOVE LOVE it, also drool over the big beast but it's just too big and expensive, my field limits planes to less than 100CC anyway. WHAT I would LOVE to see, and buy the second it was available, is a beast like the microbeast, with as3x, in the same scale as the other eflite/parkzone size planes like the T28, etc, ideally flying a 3S2200 or so lipo. Not sure if others would jump on it but I suspect that they would! I would kill for a plane like the UMX beast 3D but just that much bigger!!!

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old May 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I have the micro beast 3D, LOVE LOVE LOVE it, also drool over the big beast but it's just too big and expensive, my field limits planes to less than 100CC anyway. WHAT I would LOVE to see, and buy the second it was available, is a beast like the microbeast, with as3x, in the same scale as the other eflite/parkzone size planes like the T28, etc, ideally flying a 3S2200 or so lipo. Not sure if others would jump on it but I suspect that they would! I would kill for a plane like the UMX beast 3D but just that much bigger!!!

Tom
Yup, yup, yup... definitely!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old May 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:

Tom
Yes - this topic has been brought up frequently and we all agree. A park flyer sized Beast would be awesome.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yes - this topic has been brought up frequently and we all agree. A park flyer sized Beast would be awesome.
Ya I posted this before I had read past the designers posting, I saw after that many posted something similar, but in the end it can't hurt to build a case/consensus that such a ship is needed. I checked out the dynam one that was mentioned, and while it's tempting given the price, I'll hold off and fly my reactor bipe for now as I anxiously wait for them to realize they need a good foamie bipe in the parkflyer scale, and nothing would fit that bill better than our beloved beast 3d with upgraded AS3X for non micro flying! I've thought about trying a beastx or similar system and trying to replicate as3x but it's just not worth it. Flying the park scale planes with more than 5-10mph winds is doable but they just get blown around so much it takes a lot of the fun out of it, I do throw my park sized super sportster up when it's windy just because it handles it pretty well and is so cheap if I dump it really bad I'll just buy another, but it's actually a really really hardy foam bird, not sure what magical foam electrifly uses on it but it's wayyyyy stronger than the stuff the T28 is made of. So they should basically use that foam for the park-beast 3d, as3x, some decent MG servos, I'd shell out 300 bucks easy for a BNF Basic of that if it flew 3S1800-2200 batts...
Old May 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'd even debate that statement as well. Their overall intention is still the same regardless of any legal bending exercises they are doing.

The fact is they ripped off someone else's design and are profiting from it.
Though I agree in principle, and by far and large I buy the ships I care most about from the big guys like horizon and great planes, in the end if there isn't a product in that line I can't blame them for producing one. Horizon needs to get on the stick and get something comparable out there, people will scoop them up even if they are priced more, and the knockoffs will likely not get bought. The issue is that since there is a void here, people who want something like this will just buy the knockoff. I have a much bigger problem with people buying a knockoff of something when there is a comparable "legit" version, but in this case I'm tempted myself to give it a try given the lost cost point because there IS no "legit" alternative. Honestly if the dynam flew 3S instead of 4S I'd order one right now...

Tom
Old May 17, 2012, 03:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,821 Posts
Brian,

Nice report! Some of your findings are quite different than mine, however. But then, I'm running the 2300/5043 on 3s. The difference in level speed & vertical on 3s vs. 2s is huge with my setup. Also - I can run WOT for as long as I wish without hitting OCP or the temp limiter. The motor is barely above ambient after an aggressive 4.5 minute flight. Makes me think that the 3200/5043 may be a better combo on 3s. Also - I have not noticed any gain-induced aileron oscillation at WOT. I'm running the aileron pushrods in the second hole out.

What's the ETA on your CC? BTW - so far, they all have 2300s in them. Hope they stick with 2300. I just don't see any benefit to using the 2500 - at least not on any of the current 2s UMX airframes. According to my static RPM & flight-tests, the 2300/5043 on 2s outperforms the 2500/5030 on 2s, and also provides considerably longer flights. I found the same to be true on 3s. It will be interesting to see what you think of the 2300/5043 on 3s. As far as I know, you'll be the first on here to try all three combos in the same airframe.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 17, 2012, 06:05 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Though I agree in principle, and by far and large I buy the ships I care most about from the big guys like horizon and great planes, in the end if there isn't a product in that line I can't blame them for producing one. Horizon needs to get on the stick and get something comparable out there, people will scoop them up even if they are priced more, and the knockoffs will likely not get bought. The issue is that since there is a void here, people who want something like this will just buy the knockoff. I have a much bigger problem with people buying a knockoff of something when there is a comparable "legit" version, but in this case I'm tempted myself to give it a try given the lost cost point because there IS no "legit" alternative. Honestly if the dynam flew 3S instead of 4S I'd order one right now...

Tom
Man, one of the fellows had the Dynam "PEEKS" at the field this weekend, in the clearly BEAST like colours, and I have to tell you, it was VERY impressive looking and seemed to fly great. I am holding out hard, as I HATE the rip off without proper licensing, but it's getting hard, as I just REALLY enjoy my micro Beast and want a 40-50 inch version badly. HH has to release one soon, and I am sure when they do it will sell like hot cakes, as they say.

Till then, I will have to resist the Dynam one, but every time he flew it, I couldn't help but drool and want one.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old May 17, 2012, 06:50 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Brian,

No fireproff suit needed.
Thanks for the report!

I've never flown the 3000Kv motor in my Beast.

Sorry to see that you are still battling OCP at 80~90% throttle.
I've never experienced OCP on (3S) with the 2500Kv motor and 5030 prop.
I've tried my best.
I just got in from another 3S flight. I hit cutoff at 65% throttle in a rather anemic vertical climb at 3:30into the flight!! As soon as the motor cut i removed my hand from the throttle and glided it down and opened the hatch, motor cool to touch so it must be OCP. I then went into the TX menu to get the exact throttle position.
From all the reports my results are not typical I'm assuming now that I just drew the short straw and got a weak/bad board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Brian,

Nice report! Some of your findings are quite different than mine, however. But then, I'm running the 2300/5043 on 3s. The difference in level speed & vertical on 3s vs. 2s is huge with my setup. Also - I can run WOT for as long as I wish without hitting OCP or the temp limiter. The motor is barely above ambient after an aggressive 4.5 minute flight. Makes me think that the 3200/5043 may be a better combo on 3s. Also - I have not noticed any gain-induced aileron oscillation at WOT. I'm running the aileron pushrods in the second hole out.

What's the ETA on your CC? BTW - so far, they all have 2300s in them. Hope they stick with 2300. I just don't see any benefit to using the 2500 - at least not on any of the current 2s UMX airframes. According to my static RPM & flight-tests, the 2300/5043 on 2s outperforms the 2500/5030 on 2s, and also provides considerably longer flights. I found the same to be true on 3s. It will be interesting to see what you think of the 2300/5043 on 3s. As far as I know, you'll be the first on here to try all three combos in the same airframe.

Joel
My CC doesn't have a definite ETA but the LHS told me this Tuesday that it'd probably be on the 24th or 31st(they get shipments on Thursdays).
I think my 3S experiences are not as good due to a bad/weak brick. I can't run any sustained 70%+ throttle so I'm basically not getting any more power than 2S. This and the wing waggle even on the outermost holes with 2S speeds. Unfortunately I've got so many flights that I'm not expecting HH to do anything about it.

I'll still try the 2300 if I get one in my CC. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'll also post reports on my sbach when I get my back-ordered programmable AS3X brick.

-Brian
Old May 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
cleveland oh
Joined Mar 2009
627 Posts
ok my new 3d beast showed up today, i also just put the 5043 prop on my org beast, cant wait to try both out, the only problem is with the nose cone on my org beast ,it will not fit now
xlrDALLAS is offline Find More Posts by xlrDALLAS
Old May 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrDALLAS View Post
ok my new 3d beast showed up today, i also just put the 5043 prop on my org beast, cant wait to try both out, the only problem is with the nose cone on my org beast ,it will not fit now
Nose cone? I'm assuming you mean the gold spinner. What I'd do is get out a xacto knife and just steepen the "slant" where the prop sits against the spinner. As soon as the pitch matches the prop it should fit.

Oh yeah, I think the hub is thicker so you might need to carve out a little of the center foam as well.

-Brian
Old May 17, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Man, one of the fellows had the Dynam "PEEKS" at the field this weekend, in the clearly BEAST like colours, and I have to tell you, it was VERY impressive looking and seemed to fly great. I am holding out hard, as I HATE the rip off without proper licensing, but it's getting hard, as I just REALLY enjoy my micro Beast and want a 40-50 inch version badly. HH has to release one soon, and I am sure when they do it will sell like hot cakes, as they say.

Till then, I will have to resist the Dynam one, but every time he flew it, I couldn't help but drool and want one.

Marlin
You may have just sold me on the Dynam, damn you!!! It really flew that well?

Tom